What's new

THE DONNA REED SHOW: SEASON 5 (1 Viewer)

An Elvis Fan

Agent
Real Name
Thomas Widener
Looks like this thread has been abandoned. I've been reading it for most of the day and found it quite interesting. I guess getting the final three seasons is not going to happen, in the foreseeable future anyway. Does anyone know much about the recording careers of Paul and Shelley? Shelley said in an interview that the producers more or less forced her to record. From the way she tells it, the producer saw how well Ricky Nelson was doing with his recordings and singing on Ozzie and Harriet and wanted to try to use Shelley and Paul to "cash in" on the youth record-buying market. I guess my question is if that is true, why wasn't their singing talents used more on the show? If I remember correctly, both Paul and Shelley only sang a couple of songs each on the show. You'd think, especially after the success of "Johnny Angel" and "My Dad" that they would have made them sing more.

I ordered a couple of CDs of Shelley's this week. Apparently, she only recorded two complete albums and a small handful of singles. It's a shame because she really had a nice voice. Maybe they will do a complete set of her recordings someday. They did release most of Annette Funicello's discography (I'm a big fan of hers as well) so maybe Shelley's music will get an upgrade too but, as with TDRS seasons 6-8 releases, I'm not holding my breath.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Lots of interest in the show, but many were discouraged by the news that ABC-TV has no interest in allowing MPI Home Video to release the last three seasons.

Jay_Z_525

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Sony owns the physical prints but the rights reverted back to Donna and Tony Owen’s children a few years back. There was lots of chatter about something possibly happening with the last three seasons (6,7,8) about 10 years ago, but nothing came from it.

Surprisingly, the show has been re-run continually (1-5, parts of 6, and most of 8) in the past 10 years and for at least the last 5 years, seasons 1-5 have been available to stream across multiple platforms. With this, you’d think transferring and releasing the last three seasons would be a no brainer but I guess it falls back on who wants to pay for it.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Looks like this thread has been abandoned. I've been reading it for most of the day and found it quite interesting. I guess getting the final three seasons is not going to happen, in the foreseeable future anyway. Does anyone know much about the recording careers of Paul and Shelley? Shelley said in an interview that the producers more or less forced her to record. From the way she tells it, the producer saw how well Ricky Nelson was doing with his recordings and singing on Ozzie and Harriet and wanted to try to use Shelley and Paul to "cash in" on the youth record-buying market. I guess my question is if that is true, why wasn't their singing talents used more on the show? If I remember correctly, both Paul and Shelley only sang a couple of songs each on the show. You'd think, especially after the success of "Johnny Angel" and "My Dad" that they would have made them sing more.

I ordered a couple of CDs of Shelley's this week. Apparently, she only recorded two complete albums and a small handful of singles. It's a shame because she really had a nice voice. Maybe they will do a complete set of her recordings someday. They did release most of Annette Funicello's discography (I'm a big fan of hers as well) so maybe Shelley's music will get an upgrade too but, as with TDRS seasons 6-8 releases, I'm not holding my breath.
Back in the nineties a British label , released comprehensive collections on Fabares, Peterson, and James Darren , all now out of print, but possibly available at Discogs.

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan
I ordered a couple of CDs of Shelley's this week. Apparently, she only recorded two complete albums and a small handful of singles. It's a shame because she really had a nice voice. Maybe they will do a complete set of her recordings someday. .
I was working in a used record store around 2014-5 that had a lot of old 45's, which I would often play on my shifts. Every time I played her song "Where's It Gonna Get Me" (the flip side of "Johnny Angel"), a customer would end up buying it. It sold to a teenage girl, a girl in her 20's, and a 30ish guy. I played the Paul Peterson LP in store once and nobody bought it, but it was pretty good.

An Elvis Fan

Agent
Real Name
Thomas Widener
LouA,

Thanks so much for the information! The Shelley Fabares CDs that I ordered were all imports so they may be the same ones. What I don't have is a couple of songs from the "Bye Bye Birdie" album (I can live without those). The only songs she recorded that I cannot find on CD are "Make Me Happy" from the Herman's Hermits soundtrack "Hold On!" (a great song, wish I could find it) and "Next Time I Say Goodbye I'm Leaving," which was a soundtrack song from the Hank Williams Jr album "A Time to Sing." She only sings a few seconds on this one so I'm not missing much there. Hopefully, they will release these at some point, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Thanks so much again!

Last edited:

An Elvis Fan

Agent
Real Name
Thomas Widener
For those who may be interested, eBay has a couple of those promotional General Mills Donna Reed DVDs for under ten dollars. They contain two season eight episodes, “Four on a Floor” and “No More Parties.” Since the complete season eight may never be released, this might be a good way to obtain two episodes of the final season.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
For those who may be interested, eBay has a couple of those promotional General Mills Donna Reed DVDs for under ten dollars. They contain two season eight episodes, “Four on a Floor” and “No More Parties.” Since the complete season eight may never be released, this might be a good way to obtain two episodes of the final season.
I actually got that from a cereal box way back then! Seems like the offered another TV show as well.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Well, the 8th season ran numerous times on Nick at Nite, so I would think that it's only seasons 6 and 7 which are rare. I imagine many people have the last season in their collections.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I never cared for the series after Shelley Fabres left. I couldn't stand Trisha, found her annoying and whiny......
Still better than some things I could think of watching. Shelley still came back for a few more appearances. Also enjoy seeing Candy Moore playing another girlfriend of Jeff Stone( not playing Angie though).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks