What's new

THE DONNA REED SHOW: SEASON 5 (2 Viewers)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Until I saw that photo I'd totally forgotten all the changes the series underwent that season. I'm pretty sure my sister and I stopped watching at some point during that year as I have few recollections of it. We were pretty fickle kids and changes of that sort tended to totally turn us off (we almost stopped watching My Three Sons when "Bub" left and *did* the season Ernie came on board). I *do* recall knowing Patty is Paul's biological sister when those episodes aired but my memories tend to run towards her being somewhat shoehorned into the series with quite a few dealing with her being around. I don't remember anything about the "new friends/neighbors". My first recollection of Bob Crane as a regular in *any* series is Hogan's Heroes which started 2 years after he came on The Donna Reed Show.

I did some reading up on the series and found that Reed had felt the writers were running out of fresh ideas and wanted to end the series at the end of Season 5 following the departure of Mary to College. Due to high ratings ABC offered a better contract so she signed on for another 3 years although with a reduction in the number of episodes and shorter work hours.

That knowledge throws new light on my desire to own more in this series. I would probably purchase the season at some point but my memories of the season would cause me to hesitate for a while before making a purchase.

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
There were some changes after Shelley Fabares left to do movies instead. I think they felt Tricia would be a "cute" addition and Patty would be comfortable to do her small parts with her brother Paul there to guide her. As for characters I think they felt that instead of Jeff being the funny, younger, mischievous one...he would now be the older, more mature teenager and have to deal with Tricia--who would now be the funny, cute, ornery kid instead. He took on Mary's old role, except as a guy, and Tricia took over Jeff's old role.

Because Nick-at-Nite did not air seasons 4 and 6-7 (as I grew up with "Donna Reed" from there), I too don't remember seeing much of the new neighbors, the Kelseys--played by Bob Crane and Ann McCrea. But, I would LOVE to see these remaining seasons to see what the show was like after Shelley left, and other recurring characters were added. I never like just having part of or "pieces" of something :angry: ...I want the whole thing! ;) Because several of those remaining seasons have not been aired in decades (therefore I have never seen them), and are considered rare...I would gladly pay to purchase those seasons! So, I truly hope and pray that they find a way to release seasons 6-8!! :thumbsup:

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Alternative photo for Season 6
The Donna Reed Show Sixth Year.jpg

Standing... Donna Reed & Paul Petersen

Seated....... Patty (Patti) Petersen & Carl Betz

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
HunterMan said:
Mark...love the pics! :thumbs-up-smiley: Have not ever seen those particular ones before! :)
So glad you like the pics, Drew!! I was wondering if anyone would truly appreciate them! Thanks so much for letting me know... :)

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Greg2356 said:
So glad you like the pics, Drew!! I was wondering if anyone would truly appreciate them! Thanks so much for letting me know... :)

No problem, Mark! This is a pic off of IMCDb (Internet Movie Car Data Base), of the Stone's first family car: a 1958 Edsel Bermuda Station Wagon. Supposedly, according to another member on IMCDb, this car actually still exists and is owned by a California collector! :biggrin: That would be so cool to someday get to see and/or ride in it! :banana:

i377908.jpg

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Drew- Thanks very much for the photo of the 1958 Edsel Bermuda Station Wagon, that the Stones had used in "The Donna Reed Show." It would be quite a cool thing to actually drive in it!! I had never thought of it still being around today! :thumbsup:

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Greg2356 said:
Drew- Thanks very much for the photo of the 1958 Edsel Bermuda Station Wagon, that the Stones had used in "The Donna Reed Show." It would be quite a cool thing to actually drive in it!! I had never thought of it still being around today! :thumbsup:
I know...the odds of this car still being around would usually not even be anywhere near the "ballpark" of being on the positive side. But, somehow it must have happened! :biggrin: The Stones used several other cars after this one (as I believe this was used just in first season), so maybe it was sold from the studio lot at some point--eventually ending up with some collector that knew its past. It would be interesting to know how it came to end up with whoever has it. :)

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
DeWilson said:
That is a great shot! I've always liked color photos - posed or on-set - from B&W shows!
Glad you like it! I hope you saw -page 3- where I had posted another photo from Season 6 in regards to "The Donna Reed Show."

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
The only positive news I have heard thus far from MPI concerning 'Season 6' in regards to "The Donna Reed Show," is when their customer service department had informed me, that it will probably be released early next year. MPI still has no specific dates as yet for the actual release of this 'Sixth Season,' but to me, this is tremendous news, as I had some serious doubts in thinking that we might not ever see the last three seasons of "The Donna Reed Show" released onto DVD!! All I did was ask MPI's Customer Service Department if they had any plans for releasing 'Season 6' in regards to "The Donna Reed Show."I warn you though, don't be too certain that this season in question will be released early next year, because MPI had said the "Fourth Season" was going to be released on such and such a date and it ended up taking them another year to finally release it! I just don't want to get anyone's hopes up too high at this point, but nevertheless, it is still some very positive news!! :)

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Greg2356 said:
The only positive news I have from MPI concerning 'Season 6' from "The Donna Reed Show," is that their customer service department had informed me today, that it will probably be released early next year, but they have no specific dates for the actual release of this 'Sixth Season' as yet! To me this is great news, as I had some serious doubts that we would ever see the last three seasons of "The Donna Reed Show" released onto DVD!! All I did was ask MPI's Customer Service Department if they had any plans of releasing 'Season 6' in regards to "The Donna Reed Show." :)I warn you though, don't be so certain that this season in question will be released early next year, because MPI had said the "Fourth Season" was going to be released on such and such a date and it ended up taking them another year to finally release it! I just don't want to get anyone's hopes up too high at this point, but it is still some positive news nevertheless!!
Mark,

This is superb news!! :banana: The fact that they're even considering and/or even have tentative plans to release Season 6 is awesome!! I think you're right...even if they say probably early next year, that's only a little over two or three months away (if we're actually refering to January and/or February). So, I'm sure it will most likely be much longer than that before we see Season 6 on DVD...but to even get a response basically saying they do plan to release it, is some of the best news I've had in a while! Thanks for the update...please keep us informed if you learn anymore! :thumbs-up-smiley:

Drew

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
I agree, Drew! I am absolutely thrilled to even know this much concerning MPI's intentions for releasing 'Season 6' in regards to "The Donna Reed Show." :D And I most surely 'Will' keep everyone informed if I hear of any further news concerning this 'Sixth Season' Release!

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Greg2356 said:
I agree, Drew! I am absolutely thrilled to even know this much concerning MPI's intentions for releasing 'Season 6' in regards to "The Donna Reed Show." :D And I most surely 'Will' keep everyone informed if I hear of any further news concerning this 'Sixth Season' Release!
Exactly...I'm overjoyed to know they're planning on it! I can't wait to hear more! :thumbs-up-smiley:

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I'm looking forward to this one as well. It's regular Sunday night viewing at my place, one episode per week. We're in the middle of season two right now and really enjoying it.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
Wow, I thought they were done after Season 5. Great to hear we may be getting the Bob Crane episodes after all. I guess Sony is starting to realize that licensing out their older material is better than letting it rot in the vaults. I am just surprised they are partnering with MPI as so far they have only licensed to Shout Factory.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks