What's new

The 'DIE HARD' appreciation thread. (1 Viewer)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
this past summer, I bought the 3 pack from target. I had not seen the original film in a long time. I must say that I enjoyed it once again after all these years. I also liked die hard 4. I also saw the sign for the low price of gas.. I had forgotten how low it was at that time.
I had only been driving for like more then 6 months at the time.

Jacob

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
^^Are you serious!? Oh man that's awesome lol! :cool: I hadn't looked at the specs for the dvd so I didn't know that, I was just wondering where I could download now I don't have to. :)

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
"Yep, just don't ask me to tell you what the heck they're for lol, I wish we had someone in this thread who lives near the Fox Plaza who could tell us if those lights actually exist on the building and what they're used for."

I live about 3 miles away from Fox Plaza. The next time I'm in that direction at night, I'll take a look to see if there are white flashing lights (I doubt it). Most tall structures have slow flashing red lights to warn away aircraft.

As for hearing the sounds of the gunshots, I kind of doubt it. He's standing on Olympic Blvd what looks to be a mile or so away from Fox Plaza, and there's a fair amount of traffic. Plus, I would imagine there's some wind up there, and it's usually blowing from the West toward the East (from behind Powell toward the building).

p.s. I always took those flashes to be muzzle flashes from the gunfight.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

The reason I always took them as being beacons was that Al didn't seem put off by them at all, he reacted as if they were an ordinary occurance. Plus like I said they could be seen flashing when McClane first arrived on the roof to call for help and I believe they could also be seen in the far away shot of the entire building (the scene where the news van is heading to Holly's house) right after the vault is opened and the thieves start looting it and there was no gunfight taking place on the roof at that time.

If buildings use red lights then that would make sense, in fact I tend to believe that, it's possible that the strobing lights were placed there by the production team to make the roof more visually interesting on film.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
Okay, I went by Fox Plaza tonight. For the record, there are no flashing white lights around the roof. There are red lights, and those are on steady, no strobing on and off.

Jacob McCraw

Stunt Coordinator
I always thought the flashes were gunfire but that's because I knew a gunfight was going on up there. There is also a musical sting at that moment. Powell might have seen them but not thought much of it.

As for Hans on the roof; John gives him the gun after he gives him a cigarette. Hans made no comment about the cigarette but the film made a point to let us know that John thought they were European based on their cigarettes. He even took a pause before he said cigarettes.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Good to know, thanks. :emoji_thumbsup: I honestly don't know what to make of the Al-sees-the-roof scene, I guess it could be left up to interperatation, myself I believe it was beacons he saw.

John paused before he said cigaretts because he thought he heard something.

Man I want to buy Live Free or Die Hard in the worst way but my best friend won't let me, I think she got it for me for Christmas. A Die Hard movie for Christmas, how appropriate is that lol? ;)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
One more revival, I picked up the series on BD and they rock! The excessive ringing and EE that plagued the DVD's of DHWAV is completely gone! The film is a revalation on BD as it's incredibly great to be able to watch it without all that distracting video noise.

I watched LFODH last weekend and it gave my theater quite the work-out. :cool:

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Yeah, the films look incredible on Blu-ray, I did a Die Hard marathon last weekend. I noticed lots of little previously unseen details like the pattern on Ellis' suit and Bruce Willis' tattoo was very clear and easy to make out. Also, in Die Hard 2 I noticed that Holly had a document that brandished a large Nakatomi logo, a nice detail.

I haven't picked-up Die Hard 4.0 on Blu-ray yet, I'm waiting for the Unrated Cut - I watched the DVD though, great fun. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Why didn't the black guy have a death scene? He just gets punched out by Argyle and is forgotten.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Because he didn't die.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
I think it's safe to assume that he's eventually discovered in the ambulance by the police or FBI and gets arrested.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Yeah, Argyle just knocked the wind out of him long enough to be picked up by police.

I love that scene, the black guy wasn't vicious enough to deserve to die (he was just a glorified locksmith afterall) so getting his lights punched out was a much deserved fate for him.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Having watched the film again recently on BD it appears as though the flashes are coming from one of the sub-structures of the roof and not the roof itself, plus they seem to extend across the entire expanse of the roof and there were only two bad guys + John there, not enough people/gunfire to cause the almost non-stop flashing we see when Al looks up.

Plus, again, the flashing is visible when John first gets up there.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
How do you guys like my lil' McClane? ;)

I modified it a bit, I made the cigarette, added and enhanced the blood on his shirt, added the small cut on his eyebrow, added the wound on his shoulder where he was shot by Karl, added the torn shirt on his bloody foot (yeah I know, he used his shirt in the film so he should now be bare chested but I said what the hell lol) and added the walkie talkie on his belt.

Paul D G

Screenwriter

Loved the video. Had no idea it was included on the DVD. When it came out there were a number of not complimentary comments on the video and how bad it was so, since I'd never heard of the band nor recalled any good songs from the movie, I never watched it. :angry:

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Theo getting punched out by Argyle was perfect. Here was this smart nerdy computer guy who was so cocky (you didn't just bring me along for my good looks) only to get his in the end with a simple punch by a kid just as small as him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks