What's new

The 'DIE HARD' appreciation thread. (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

I hear ya, i've always found it very cool that my top three all time favorite thrillers all came from the same man, I tell you the dude was unstoppable back then!

But like I said in my initial post then came Medicine Man and I couldn't believe that film came from the same guy, he never really regained that same strength, either but he came VERY close with DHWAV.

BarryS

Second Unit
Great thread. I just watched Die Hard a few days ago, for the first time in quite a while. I'd forgotten just what an incredibly enjoyable film it is. I'd just been told that a friend of a coworker of mine is dating Hart Bochner who plays Ellis in Die Hard. I love Ellis. Such a sleazebag.

I have a question also: When Gruber goes upstairs by himself later in the movie and is confronted by McClane, does John recognize him right away and just pretend that he doesn't? Seems to me that McClane would recognize that very distinctive voice right away. This would seem to be the case since he gives Gruber a gun with no bullets.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

John had his suspicions about who this person might be right off the bat and his suspicions were confirmed when he noticed that "Bill Clay" simply pulled that name off of the name directory board on the wall.

No way was John going to fall for the ruse, he knew better than to hand a loaded gun to someone he didn't know. I'm still not sure he knew it was Hans right away, but all he knew was that there was this strange guy who "miraculously" managed to get away milling around the sub-roof who coincidentally just happened to have one of the names of the board which was plainly visible.

To a well trained cop, he might as well have worn a sign on his back that read "suspect me, i'm lying through my teeth" lol. ;)

dailW

Stunt Coordinator

i would love to see him back instead of having
kevin smith in the next one.

favorite line

welcome to the party pal.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Not that it was the greatest movie ever made, but I remember that one of Ebert's main bone of contention, if not the biggest, with Spielberg's "War of the Worlds" was that the alien tripods were mechanically impractical.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
The May 2007 issue of Empire (a Brit movie mag) features Die Hard in its "Masterpiece" section (the section does a write-up on a "classic" movie each month). Typical Brit humour in the writing, and of course lots of love for Die Hard.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
This thread provoked me to watch Die Hard for the umpteenth time yesterday. You know the funniest part in the whole movie? When Al is at the gas station/conv. store to buy the twinkies and gets the call to check out the phone call at Nakatomi, he throws his bag in the police car and walks over to get a look at the building. As he does, a sign is plainly visible which lists the current gas prices. Regular unleaded was 74.9 cents/gallon. LOL.
Great movie though. One of my all time faves. Sure hope it gets the HD treatment one day.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

That's a great scene and it was the perfect way to introduce Al, it established his love for Twinkies and that his wife had a bun in the oven. One thing I always wondered about, though, when he walks out to his car do you think that he would be able to hear the gunfire coming the roof at that distance? I could never be sure because the building looked like it wasn't all that far away and you'd be able to hear faint echo's of the gunfire.

I'm sure the Die Hard series will get it's HD treatment one day. :emoji_thumbsup:

I lost count of all the actions films that took Die Hard's model after it's release, some worked and some didn't but the whole terrorists taking over something while a lone hero saves the day plot really went nuts after that. Probably THE worst one that I saw was one with Thomas Ian Griffith called Crackerjack, to try and describe how laughable it was just won't do it justice lol, at one point the hero (Griffith) yells at the police, who are of course mistakingly shooting at him, "I'm on your side, assholes!" but nowhere near as convincingly as Bruce did. :laugh:

BarryS

Second Unit

Yes, I think the same thing every time I watch the movie. They're on the roof of the building firing machine guns out in the open. Somebody would have heard something. When they show the building far away, you can see flashes of light from the gunfire as well. Why didn't Powell notice that? That's about the only thing that bugs me about Die Hard. Still a great movie.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

The flashing lights weren't gunfire they were beacons, they can be seen flashing when John first emerges on the roof before Karl and his men got up there.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Oh, I always thought that the flashing lights were gunfire as well. But you are right, there are flashing beacons when John goes up there. Never put that together with the lights that Al must have seen.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Yep, just don't ask me to tell you what the heck they're for lol, I wish we had someone in this thread who lives near the Fox Plaza who could tell us if those lights actually exist on the building and what they're used for.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

This is what I classify as a 'DUH!' moment.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Helicopters of course!

BarryS

Second Unit
Really? Wow, I never noticed that. I always assumed it was gunfire. Still, I would think that gunfire from automatic weapons would be very audible. I'm certainly no expert though. Maybe not.

Jonathan_

Second Unit

Because the guy at the desk didn't know where in the building Holly worked. I would imagine that more people work at the building than just the people at the party. Depending on where she worked in the building she might not be included in the party.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
I have a question also: When Gruber goes upstairs by himself later in the movie and is confronted by McClane, does John recognize him right away and just pretend that he doesn't? Seems to me that McClane would recognize that very distinctive voice right away. This would seem to be the case since he gives Gruber a gun with no bullets.[/quote]

Hans to Takagi: "Nice suite. John Phillips - London. I have two myself."

Even a cigarette smoking, beer drinking, blue collar detective like McClane would recognize an expensive suit. Ellis was impressed by a Rolex, Takagi and Hans by a quality well tailored suit.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Had to revive this thread for this...quite possibly the coolest music video i've ever seen in my lifetime lol (I defy you not to hum it for the rest of the day)! :cool:

(Some explicit lyrics)...

And of course one the funniest parodies of all time courtesy of The Ben Stiller Show :D...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks