What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray) available for preorder on Amazon (1 Viewer)

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Yep.

Not that cover, though. And apparently it's had an update, so maybe it's time for a third copy.
I have a copy of the first edition with the silver cover. I thought it odd that there was a picture on the cover of every main recurring actor except Jerry Paris. In his place there is a picture of a different Jerry, Jerry Van Dyke, who was in all of 4 episodes (or two plots since they were two two-parters).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys, this past weekend DecadesTV had done their weekend binge of The Dick Van Dyke Show as some of you I bet knew about. They celebrated Dick Van Dyke’s birthday.

This prompted me to finally open the 2012 Dick Van Dyke Show complete series blu ray. I had picked that up several years ago as an Amazon Deal of the day. I had watched the DVD show as a kid on syndication so I know the show, I know the characters and I know that house set. But I had not seen it in quite a while. So it was great to revisit the show on the binge. When I checked out the Blu ray set, I was amazed at how good the tranfers look on blu ray! I really like how clear the image looks. On my computer, as I ripped the first disc, I could see the logos on the oven in the kitchen in the pilot episode. That was odd to see the kitchen set that was in that pilot before the sets were revised. I look forward to revisiting more episodes from the Blu ray set. I really like seeing all that mid century fashion and the house from that time period.

The show was great, the cast was great.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I assume that this is the same transfers used on the Blu-Ray's and the last complete series DVD set, but in a cost reduced form factor (20 versus 25 discs, for instance).

There's no reason to create new transfers at this point since it seems highly unlikely that there's any room left to improve upon the amazing transfers utilized on the Blu-Ray's.

It looks like the previous 25 disc DVD set is still available on Amazon from 3rd parties for just a little bit more, for anyone looking to upgrade from the old Image sets that sadly missed out on the Blu-Ray release when it was economical to purchase.

Last edited:

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
As a longtime fan of THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW, I bought the early DVD season sets that came out from Image in 2003. These each had five slim cases inside a slipcover box that contained the television design with a lenticular picture. There was a different lenticular picture for each season, so five in all. You'd rotate the package and the lenticular picture would 'move'.

For fun, I tried to scan these lenticulars, resulting in pretty much a blurry mess. But here they are.

1702321819942.png

1702321849989.png

1702321873775.png

1702321892148.png

1702321914546.png

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sadly, in a bizarre twist, the Blu-ray set is now way overpriced.

In an even more bizarre twist, a new remastered edition of THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW Complete Series Set has just been released....on DVD ONLY!!! :unsure:

Wow, I see the blu ray set on Amazon for $200.00. It’s from a third party seller. I imagine the blu ray set is OOP. This is too bad they didn’t re-print. I’m glad I didn’t delay when I had the opportunity to buy the set.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
As a longtime fan of THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW, I bought the early DVD season sets that came out from Image in 2003. These each had five slim cases inside a slipcover box that contained the television design with a lenticular picture. There was a different lenticular picture for each season, so five in all. You'd rotate the package and the lenticular picture would 'move'.

For fun, I tried to scan these lenticulars, resulting in pretty much a blurry mess. But here they are.

View attachment 206291
View attachment 206292

View attachment 206293

View attachment 206294

View attachment 206295
Cool to see the scans Harry. :)

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I also have those DVD sets and in my opinion they didn't do a great job with the lenticular pictures, but the DVD's themselves are terrific.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
And speaking of Dick Van Dyke, this coming Sunday on ABC will be the annual airing of "The Sound of Music" from 6-10 PM CT and then next Thursday on CBS, a Dick Van Dyke 2 hour special will be airing from 8-10 PM CT in celebration of his 98th birthday, so enjoy!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
They're rarely registered properly. Even if you get the prisms aligned with one of the images you'll still see part of another on the fringes. And the viewing window/area on most is so narrow it's incredibly difficult to properly align. In spite of that they're neat and a fun idea. I just wish it worked better.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
IMHO, lenticular pictures are *never* done all that well. It kind of works but then not.
Years ago I saw some lenticulars that were done really well, I don't remember anymore what exactly they were or where I saw them but the images were done really well, the lenticulars from the Dick Van Dyke DVD's pale in comparison.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Wow, I see the blu ray set on Amazon for $200.00. It’s from a third party seller. I imagine the blu ray set is OOP. This is too bad they didn’t re-print. I’m glad I didn’t delay when I had the opportunity to buy the set.
It just seems strange to backpedal to DVDs when they've already released THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW series on Blu-ray. It's not as though Image Entertainment has to do any further special encoding to reissue them that way, and their TWILIGHT ZONE Complete Series set has been available on Blu-ray since 2010! Why not DICK VAN DYKE?

CHEERS! :)

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Me too.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’ve been ripping the first season and started second season to MKV files. As I attempt to go through each file, it’s fun to see the soap ads in the episodes. I also found the Kent cigarette ads that Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore filmed in the set of the Petrie home. It’s fascinating to see that, but somewhat unsettling being so far removed from the days of cigarette ads on TV. It’s as odd as seeing Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble smoking in a cigarette ad. These are terrific glimpses of life back in the day.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
And speaking of Dick Van Dyke, this coming Sunday on ABC will be the annual airing of "The Sound of Music" from 6-10 PM CT and then next Thursday on CBS, a Dick Van Dyke 2 hour special will be airing from 8-10 PM CT in celebration of his 98th birthday, so enjoy!
Not sure what THE SOUND OF MUSIC has to do with Dick Van Dyke.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks