What's new

"The Day The Earth Stood Still" (1 Viewer)

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
A special edition should be a no-brainer since Fox produced one for LD and should, I hope, still have all the materials. It was a beautiful set autographed by Robert Wise. Alas, like most of Fox's LD SEs, it was way too expensive for me.
I got mine Signature Edition laserdisc boxset in mint condition for 20$!

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
I was going to buy the LD Box Set from ebay until I noticed that this was going to be released soon to dvd. I still may buy the box set. Do you think all the supplements will be on the dvd that are with the ld? Should I buy the LD version or wait for the dvd?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Up to you. If you want to see the film now, you need that LD.

As for the DVD, all we know at present is that is will be an SE and that Robert Wise has recorded a commentary track. I believe Peter Staddon mentioned it won't be one of the "5 Star Edition" discs. And the release date is still not announced--though the disc is believed to be scheduled for release later this year.

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
I was going to buy the LD Box Set from ebay until I noticed that this was going to be released soon to dvd. I still may buy the box set. Do you think all the supplements will be on the dvd that are with the ld? Should I buy the LD version or wait for the dvd?
Well, if I was you and love the movie I WOULD buy the Limited Autographed Edition box-set. In that set you get a CD soundtrack of Bernard Herrmann's musical score, The Day The Earth Stood Still Limited Autographed Edition 24K Soundtrack , that includes unused tracks and a rehearsal & outtake segment. You also get a book, "Robert Wise on His Films". Robert Wise REAL Autograph and a great transfer in PCM audio (the dvd is most sure to have DD mono) and over 70 minutes of interviews, etc. Also additionally, Wise is interviewed by Nicholas Meyer on an alternate audio track during the unspooling of the film.

And a GREAT box-set and a gatefold cover inside.

This IS the version to have for all collectors!!!

GregK

Screenwriter
A single DD mono track may or may not be the only option

for the upcoming DTESS DVD audio mix.

When the original music soundtrack was cleaned up, Chase

was commissioned to make a new stereo mix of the film as

well. It's aired on cable, and the music sounds even better

in true stereo. Besides the stereo music tracks, other

stereo elements are limited, so I would call it a tasteful

remix. Also note I'm a BIG supporter of original audio

mixes, so if this track was included, I would think Fox

would have the sense to include the original mono track as

well.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Sad Part is if this film isn't Five Star Material What is?

I think Fox is doing a great disservice to this film, not to include it under the Five Star Banner

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
God, I hope that isn't the proposed cover art, David.
Well, the one I showed on pg. 2 (bottom) is most certainly better than this one! (Hate that image of P. Neal and M. Rennie cheek-to-cheek. Totally misrepresents the relationship between the two! Makes the unitiated viewer think that the two were an "item".)
Link Removed
The packaging (on pg. 2 of this thread) I think is pretty good. Although, I agree, I hope the DVD cover shows something new (better). Perhaps a re-printing of an original poster would be nice.....
Link Removed
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks