What's new

The Dark Knight changing Aspect Ratio feels like a Joke (2 Viewers)

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
RobertR said:
can you show me ANY advertising that told people the ENTIRE movie was filmed with IMAX cameras? If not, then your whole "I was cheated" contention falls apart.
Where do I say: "I was cheated"?
I all so posted "less than half"; in this case 20%. You keep quoting me as saying "half". Maybe that's what's getting you? I don't know.
------------------------------------
Man what a joke that I say 20% is very little & I get ripped on.
It's OK, just, I wonder why people think 20% is a lot or why people a happy w/20% of anything.
Well, guess that's what makes us all different!
Signed,
EDweird
--------------------------
Back on topic:
We're a small part of a small community, butt getting BIGGER all the time.
I'm SUPER pleased w/the success of this release.
I'm all so pleased too have this forum & the OP too discuss why this release is as it is.
Question:
Do the people defending this release against any joke references feel this is a perfect release (nothing done wrong)?
Thanks.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
so you have this pie(movie) that is 20% one flavor.
this isn't saying that you only have 20% of the pie.
the entire pie is still there. just that 80% of it is another flavor.
both flavors are delicious, but the 20% is extra delicious.
what's wrong with that.
plus before buying the pie(movie)
I knew that only 20% of it was a certain flavor, so i was an informed
pie buyer from the start.
this topic has finally jumped or blew up the fridge or whatever the term is now.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Ed St. Clair said:
Where do I say: "I was cheated"?
I'm guessing it's the part where you mentioned seeing a non-IMAX movie that was never advertised as an IMAX movie because it was playing in an IMAX theater.
Do the people defending this release against any joke references feel this is a perfect release (nothing done wrong)?
Thanks.

Frankly, I don't if any of us can tell when you're making a joke or not. It seems like every time we point out a logical error in your statements, you then claim it's a joke, so people feel that you're either completely wrong or just saying wacky "jokes" to piss people off. It's really not helping when you misquote people or do a poor job of representing what they said.

EDIT: FWIW, I don't think anyone's claimed it's a perfect release, they're only defending themselves against assumptions based on logical errors.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
David Willow said:
I'm one of the "people" you referred to in the quote I included in my reply. I DID NOT notice it after I stopped looking for it. Are you saying that I am lying... That I really did notice it and I'm just telling you I didn't?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed St. Clair
It all so cracks me up that people are posting that they barely or didn't even notice the VAR!
That's got too be the JOKE of the yr!
[on Nolan; all that for nuttin, on the BD; why release it that way when it makes little or no diference, & HTF; where OAR used too be "everything"]
David,
I FINALLY got it! (after reading your re-post three times!!!)
Just so you know, this was how I was going too answer (B4 I got it):
I did not think you or anyone else lied when thinking about my post.
I did not post that you or anyone else was lying on my post.
I did not believe you or anyone else was lying after I posted.
Since I got it:
You thought my saying it was a joke that you & others saw & forgot or didn't notice the VAR at all, that I was calling you & others liers.
Such is not the case (thank goodness).
I was only saying that people posting they didn't see or notice the VAR was funny (or a joke in this case because of the thread title). Here we had had this BIG discussion pre-release on the VAR, then some people didn't even notice.
Too me, that was funny, a joke.
Not people lying.
People had posted they were looking forward too the VAR; then people posted they didn't even notice.
People had posted they would hate the VAR; then people posted they didn't even notice.
(not the same people, mind you, still a pretty BIG swing in postings)
Just we were having this BIG brouhaha about "TDK" VAR, then it was released, & people didn't even notice!
Too me that's hilarious, not lying!

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif
(where's that pie emoticon?)
I keep wanting to say 'piss off' to this thread, but the lunacy keeps drawing me back, and now there's pie to go along with those dead horses!
htf_imgcache_37246.jpeg

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I have a question.
The OP said:

today i was able sneak peek the br of the dark knight. audio and video quality are top notch. but that wasn't my concern in the first place. my concern was the changing aspect ratio in the movie. every time the aspect ratio changes, i got a bit moved out of the movie. the imax scene do like pretty nice but they wont make much of a difference in the home theater. the film was shown in full 2.35:1 in it's theatrical run but warner opmits this version by only including the imax experience. i find this as a bad move. we don't even get an option to choose which version we wanna see and i would've preferred the full widescreen experience over the imax release version.
i know it is mr. nolan's vision but it doesn't mean it's the better one. sorry warner, no purchase from me on this. maybe if it's in a bargain bin or the full widescreen version is released on blu-ray. till then i give the br back to my friend who lent it to me for watching the film.

He is specifically talking about the Blu-ray.
Did any of you who saw this in an IMAX theater (I didn't) feel this way?
FWIW, I have the Blu-ray and even though I did notice the VAR I didn't feel taken out of the movie. Quite the opposite, in fact.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Why, is that a slice of American Pie? And its still warm too!
But really, Ed, when people say they didnt notice the change in AR, i think what they mean, and its what i mean...the change in AR didnt take me out of the movie. It didnt feel like a gimmick that ruined any enjoyment of the picture. Its a good movie!
The Blu-ray was the first time for me to see this film. I really liked it. I thought it looked good too! It sounded fantastic as well. Id say its one of the best Blu-rays i own. Out of 100, id put it in my top 10, for PQ, audio, and of course pure enjoyment. Isnt that what its all about?
Ha! Steve beat me to the punch, and we seem to be of the same opinion.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
IMAX
Josh Steinberg said:
Because of the success of TDK in IMAX (both technically, artistically and financially), we now probably will see select films shot mostly or entirely in IMAX within the next few years. There are still problems to be solved, like the noise issue (the cameras are very noisy, so if they're used for scenes with dialogue, all of that dialogue would have to be re-recorded and dubbed in during postproduction, and some directors aren't big fans of that), the size issue (the cameras are extremely large and bulky, so they may not be able to fit in every spot the director might want to put one, and some directors may not be willing to make those compromises just to shoot in the larger format), the film length issue (IMAX cameras can only hold a few minutes of film at a time, compared to regular cameras that can hold 10 minutes or longer), not to mention the added costs of using the larger format, that there are only several of these cameras worldwide, etc., etc. Those are all major hurdles that will have to be solved, but before TDK, I'm not sure that there were too many people interested in solving them. Now there are.
Wont the new digital IMAX cameras solve some if not all of that?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ed St. Clair said:
David,
I FINALLY got it! (after reading your re-post three times!!!)
Just so you know, this was how I was going too answer (B4 I got it):
I did not think you or anyone else lied when thinking about my post.
I did not post that you or anyone else was lying on my post.
I did not believe you or anyone else was lying after I posted.
Since I got it:
You thought my saying it was a joke that you & others saw & forgot or didn't notice the VAR at all, that I was calling you & others liers.
Such is not the case (thank goodness).
I was only saying that people posting they didn't see or notice the VAR was funny (or a joke in this case because of the thread title). Here we had had this BIG discussion pre-release on the VAR, then some people didn't even notice.
Too me, that was funny, a joke.
Not people lying.
People had posted they were looking forward too the VAR; then people posted they didn't even notice.
People had posted they would hate the VAR; then people posted they didn't even notice.
(not the same people, mind you, still a pretty BIG swing in postings)
Just we were having this BIG brouhaha about "TDK" VAR, then it was released, & people didn't even notice!
Too me that's hilarious, not lying!
I didn't get involved in the pre-release discussion at all. I figured I'd wait to see it myself. Now I did see it at the theater (not IMAX) and I can tell you that the home version with the IMAX scenes did not detract from the experience. I'm not sure it enhanced it, either.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
But really, Ed, when people say they didnt notice the change in AR, i think what they mean, and its what i mean...the change in AR didnt take me out of the movie.

Thanks for posting this. This is EXACTLY what my words meant.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
The shifting AR made it MORE enjoyable to me. I noticed it because I looked forward to every expanded shot, no matter how short.

frankie108

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frank P
TonyD said:
so you have this pie(movie) that is 20% one flavor.
this isn't saying that you only have 20% of the pie.
the entire pie is still there. just that 80% of it is another flavor.
both flavors are delicious, but the 20% is extra delicious.
what's wrong with that.
Nothing. Only problem is if you order pie and get cake. :eek:

David Forbes

Supporting Actor
Steve_Pannell said:
He is specifically talking about the Blu-ray.
Did any of you who saw this in an IMAX theater (I didn't) feel this way?
FWIW, I have the Blu-ray and even though I did notice the VAR I didn't feel taken out of the movie. Quite the opposite, in fact.
I saw this in IMAX (where, amazingly enough, I didn't feel cheated because I managed to understand what was advertised before going to see it!) a standard theatrical release, and Blu-ray. I much prefer the shifting aspect ratio of the Blu-ray. Doesn't distract me at all, and it did not distract me in the only-20%-real-IMAX version.
As I said, the only people who have a legitimate beef with this are those few with CIH setups, where the variable AR has no good solution.

David Forbes

Supporting Actor
Ed St. Clair said:
IMAX
Wont the new digital IMAX cameras solve some if not all of that?
Unfortunately, no, since the digital cameras won't even come close to capturing what a current film IMAX camera can capture. This is the dumbing down of IMAX and to be honest, this is where I would have a problem with them advertising something as IMAX when it's really not. And I certainly won't pay a premium price for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks