What's new

The D-Theater movie listings thread... (1 Viewer)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Rob, i've noticed that since the days of VHS on a small screen.
Really?

I can't believe that neither myself, nor anyone else in the room, had noticed that before!

Anyway, probably one of the best ways to read up on D-Theater is past issues of Widescreen Review as well as posts on this forum and the AVS Forum.

RobD

Second Unit
Just noticed the DTS additions in WSR, Full bit rate too. Now D-Theater really is looking tempting especially since my new STB does Pal to NTSC conversion so I could now record too.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
There should be absolutely no dual-mastering of "1080i" vs "720p" for film-source material on D-VHS. There should be only ONE HD encoding for film based material on D-VHS and it should be full 1920 x 1080 resolution images in 1080 24p form.
If one has a native 720p device that they want to test/calibrate, they should have a 720p DVE available. One should not have to suffer potential set-based conversion artifacts on their test material.

Joe Kane is doing the right thing here, and should not be attacked for making this test tape available in both formats.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Warner has been advocating for their own in-house red-laser HD-DVD format and Columbia has their BluRay disc...

Warner and Columbia both view supporting D-VHS as taking the focus of off their golden-child HD-disc based formats. There's a good chance that Columbia will begin releasing pre-recorded movie titles on BluRay sooner than their official press releases would leave us to believe.

Eric F

Screenwriter
I don't see what the big deal is, it's a niche format and it wouldn't make a dent whether they supported it or not (I own one). It would be good PR for all the high-end users who own them.

BTW- DVDEmpire is pre-selling True Lies for $23.44.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Yeah but at least as far as BluRay goes...it's *already* a marketable reality. Sony already has BluRay players/recorders in Japan and is selling recordable BluRay discs.

Chances are that they will be releasing 1080P mastered pre-recorded titles *very soon* to mate with their 1080P SXRD product...and hopefully prices will come down to earth shortly after.

Given their time table and immenent roll-out...it's the wrong time for them to side-step and offer titles on D-VHS. As long as they really *do* bring their titles to market soon on BluRay...it will be ok... :D

RobD

Second Unit
David,

How imminent is imminent? Im in the market for highend DVD Player (1500+) and if an import Bluray player and discs will be available within 6months I'll wait.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Yeah but at least as far as BluRay goes...it's *already* a marketable reality.
No its not.

They have not "marketed" anything here in the States. AFAIK, they have not issued any official announcement of when they expect to have a BluRay player here. Until that announcement is made, it certainly isn't a "marketable reality" to me.

It's good to know they have something developed, and that works, but that doesn't do any of us any good until we *know* that we will be getting it, and *when*!

Brian-W

Screenwriter
It's good to know they have something developed, and that works, but that doesn't do any of us any good until we *know* that we will be getting it, and *when*!
Sony has been very vocal in stating that the Blu-Ray consortium plans to have product on store shelves in the U.S. in 2005.

Japan generally gets a head start, and to my knowledge both Sony and Sharp have Blu-Ray products on the shelves now. Likely testing the waters, with plans to do a full roll out in late 2004.

Only time will tell.

RobD

Second Unit
I think blu-ray pre recorded could be somewhat further off than some expect, they dont expect to finalise V1.1 (Which at last includes pre-recorded discs) until summer 2004:
http://www.blu-ray.com

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Troy.

I had no idea that these titles were being announced for D-Theater release.

I will more than likely pick up The Bourne Identity.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
It's really silly that the other three studios supporting D-Theater don't release in full bitrate DTS 96/24 or DTS-ES 6.1 now that the new Marantz and new JVC decks support the DTS bitstream. At least Fox has started!

Dan

RobD

Second Unit
I have a couple of silly questions regarding DTS and D-Theater in general that I was hoping you guys could answer (I hope this isnt too far off topic):

1) Is DTS easy to select on the JVC 4000 player? (Unlike probs that WSR describes with the Marantz)

2) Is Moulin Rougue 96/24? (Like X-Men 2)

3) Do Fox D-Theater releases have adverts at the start? (DVD ones infuriate me)

Also, WSR reported all those tentative Fox release you list are going to include DTS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks