What's new

"The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian" (2 Viewers)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Did they adjust the font of the swooping "R" in Narnia so it looks less like NarnDa? Cause that's what it looks like to me.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

I hear ya Chris. Loved the first one....do wish it was a Christmas release though. Guess it worked better during Winter since it was always Winter in Narnia ;)

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I hope it doesn't have any contemporary music like the first film. That to me felt heavily anachronistic to the time period of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. Should've kept it more orchestral and with music from the time period at that. I wonder if Netflix has the longer cut?
Can't wait for Prince Caspian!

So, when they get around to adapting all seven books into films, would there be a boxset containing the films in publishing order or chronological? It would be neat to watch them as is then again in chrono order too, if you take my meaning.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

I can't even imagine if they'll actually be able to get to film all 7 books. I was thinking it would get to maybe the 3rd or 4th book. With the amount of time they're taking for each one it would be 2023 by the time they get to the 7th!

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
The comments about moving straight into filming Dawn Treader may explain the reason for the interview I referred to back here where the visual effects supervisor was talking about the ship appearing in the film. He could easily have just been getting the two films confused - especially since the ship will be one of the most important effects in the film, so it would make sense for them to already be working on it.

It will be interesting to see how they change the story. As I have indicated already , I do think there need to be some significant changes for Caspian to work, and I am excited to see what they do

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
All sounds good to me. The structure of Caspian works fine as a book, but the extended flashback sequence (it was what, a third of the book's length) wouldn't work very well on camera. Once you realize we're back in Narnia the story needs to shift into gear, and taking 30-45 minutes to explain who Prince Caspian is would destroy any momentum the story had at that point.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
It's nice to hear them talk about concrete plans for the rest of the books/films :) Having read the entire series over Christmas break, I really want to see them all get made, even if the conclusion of "The Last Battle" will be difficult to adapt.

The one I'm looking forward to the most is "The Magician's Nephew", should be a lot of fun, especially if Tilda Swinton plays Jadis one more time.

I don't think the flashbacks in "Caspian" will be a problem, as they all take place in the recent past, and can be woven failry seamlessly into the narrative.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Ben Barnes's IMDb entry

Caspian and Dawn Treader make sense - Dawn Treader is set about 10 years later, so he should be able to play that. But in The Silver Chair (at least according to the book), it's a short cameo appearance seen from a long way off by Caspian as an old man about to die, and we really don't want to taint the film from the start with layering a 25-year-old in old-age makeup? Better just to find an elderly actor to fill the role.

Unless - they just say "three-film deal, and the reporter assumes this means Silver Chair. What if they're trying to secure him for The Last Battle, just in case they make it that far. (I am right in thinking everyone appears younger in The Last Battle, aren't I?)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Matthew,

Although Caspian is an old man in The Silver Chair, after his death he is transported to Aslan's Country, and his form there is that of his younger self.

As for "The Last Battle", when the main characters are reunited in the True Narnia, everyone seems to appear as they were in their prime. The Pevensie children are the young adults they were during their reign, Professor Kirke and Polly appear much younger than they were at the beginning of the book (though their age is unspecified, Lewis often talks about people appearing to be "ageless" in Aslan's Country, and pressumably in the reborn Narnia, too).

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Ricardo, Does that happen during The Silver Chairm, though? I can't remember it off the top of my head, and I can't think where in the narrative it would happen. The Last Battle would make more sense.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
He's an old man in Silver Chair and a middle aged king in Voyage of the Dawn Treader, I believe he dies at the start of the Silver Chair. fwiw, the series is designed for movies because older children are cycled out. Only Edmund and Lucy return in Dawn Treader, and none of the original four return in Silver Chair, just Eustace, the new (spoiled) cousin from Dawn treader

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Ah, that's right, now I remember his reunion with Rillian in the book. Didn't Aslan appear and tell him to return home, and his son would be waiting for him.
I still think it would make more sense to hire an older actor to play Caspian in The Silver Chair, and hold on to Barnes for The Last Battle if they should get that far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks