What's new

"The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian" (1 Viewer)

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Re: Jadis:

Was she introduced to us as Jadis in the book? I thought she had a different name, and was myself shocked when you see her at the end of the book in the garden and she's been turned white. I remember being stunned that the Professor was the reason the White Witch came to Narnia. If she was Jadis from when we first meet her I totally failed to make the connection. Then again I was only 10 or so.

Re; fates of characters in The Last Battle:

To be totally honest, I'm not at all sure I'd mind if they kept Susan's belief. While she was a bit of a whiner/cry-baby in the books, even as a kid reading them I found her lack of belief to be totally out of character. I mean, it's not like she was playacting for a few months, she was queen of another world for YEARS! She was courted, nearly married, grew up, etc. To renounce it as childish games seems just bizarre. Susan may not have been as strong a character as Lucy, but her denial has no grounding in the way her character was written in previous books.

What it comes down to was that Lewis sacrificed her character to display a point he wanted to make. Don't deny the truth, understand what is truly grown up and what is faux maturity (admittedly a relevant point with today's kids that think Grand Theft Auto is the epitome of "mature"), and stay true to who you are. This is, there are better characters to get that point across. Even Jadis' actions in Magician's Nephew display some of it with her climbing over the wall of the garden.

Regardless, I'm definitely not such a purist that I'd mind them preserving Susan's character. A change from the book, but a change that I think corrects a flaw in the book. Not like she'd be a difficult character to write into the story anyway, given how little screentime the characters get. Even make reference to her fall in the book,but have her returned to Narnia against her will and asking for Aslan's forgiveness. It could actually be a very well done scene and one that would be far more effective in making Lewis' point than her fate as written.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Chris

She is never called "Jadis" in the book The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, so when she's introduced in The Magician's Nephew as Queen Jadis of Charn there's no overt reason to believe she will become the White Witch, though there are certainly moments of foreshadowing.

Brian-A

Agent
Brandon & Chris:

Jadis was referred to by name exactly once in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe - When the Pevensies read Maugrim's letter left at Mr. Tumnus' house, he refers to her as "Jadis, Queen of Narnia, etc."

Joe D

Supporting Actor
After reading this thread (namely the spoilers), I can only say that it's been a long time since I've read the books, and I no longer remember much of anything.

The Silver Chair was my favorite book. I may have to re-read these books again.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
True. In fact, I hope that is the case. But that would be quite an expansion to the original book, as there is nowhere in the original book where they could, as far as I can think of, even include a Dawn Treader-like boat. Not that expansion is a bad thing because, as I have already said, Caspian needs expansion in some way.

RafaelB

Second Unit
Maybe the movie will end with Caspian leaving on the Dawn Treader to begin his quest?

Rafael.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Or perhaps the guy just said the wrong title by mistake, or another possibility (and the one I'm going with) is that he was speaking ahead to Dawn Treader after they do Prince Caspian, and the added clarification of [a ship that figures in Caspian]" is simply bad journalism.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Having just re-read both "Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" and "Prince Caspian", I would say that PC has more going on than LTWATW. In fact, quite a bit was added to the film to help fully flesh itself out. I don't think this film needs to be combined at all with "Voyage of the Dawn Treader" and I definitely agree with the idea of having the Prince Caspian back story at the BEGINNING of the movie (ala Lord of the Rings). There's a lot of mystery with the novel that I quite like.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Prince Caspian
From http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,1174347_1_0_,00.html

Producer Mark Johnson won an Oscar for producing 1988's
Best Picture, Rain Man, but that's nothing compared to how his Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe kicked Kong's butt at the box office last winter. (Okay, he didn't say that, but he should have!) The result, Johnson told EW, is that ''we are frantically trying to get Caspian ready for next year. For the end of '07.'' And then what? ''And then, you know, we have a tentative lineup. The question is, How soon do we start them? Do we do them — this going to sound wrong — in a factory assembly line sort of thing, sort of the way the Harry Potters are done? And I don't mean that in any critical sense.'' Oh, of course not. He continued: ''The problem with The Chronicles — it's both its strength and its problem — is that each book is so different from the other. And with the exception of Aslan, there's no one character who repeats in all of them.'' Well, if he needs any help in casting, there's a kissing chimp we can recommend.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Some information has just come available from Entertainment Weekly on the approach being taken to the next few films.

You can read the actual article here, or else read the Dark Horizons summary.

In essence:
* Caspian will not be combined with any of the other books (which is a relief).
* Caspian is proving harder to adapt than TLTWATW
* Visual effects demands may push the release date to 2008
* Caspian, Dawn Treader, and Silver Chair will be created as an interlocking trilogy (which makes sense).
* After that (assuming the series is still going well - please), they'll be likely to do Magician;'s Nephew next.

Scotty_McW

Second Unit
That is some good news! It's been a while since I read these books but after just watching TLTWATW I want to go back and read them again. Can't wait!

Alex F

Stunt Coordinator
AT this rate we should see The Last Battle by... 2020. hopefully the world hasn't ended beforehand.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks