The British Museum

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TheoGB, Nov 10, 2001.

1. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Just to say that I visited the BM today for the first time in a while to see the Agatha Christie Mesopotamian exhibition (which was cool) and got my first sight of the new Great Court.
    If you haven't been in a while then I urge you to go because, aside from the Wheel, this is the best thing I've seen our Millennium money go on. The scale and look is totally fantastic and I was simply blown away. It kind of made all those ancient Egyptian treasures seem less important.
    On a different note, I kept on seeing the stuff and thinking 'Why don't we give this back?' I guess it's unrealistic to think of it happening but there were references to the-rest-of-such-and-such-an-exhibit still being in Egypt, or wherever, and it just seemed pretty terrible that we had it here to look at. Or maybe I'm just being an idiot.
    ------------------
    My band is @ http://www.mokita.net
    My Novelty Coasters

2. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

The number one thing I want to do before I expire is to visit the British Museum and the Imperial War Museum.

3. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Is that gonna be soon? [​IMG] Hope not.
    I haven't been to the Imperial War Museum since I was a nipper so I should get along again.
    I think the British Museum's is the only one that's still free, though the Agatha Christie bit cost 7 quid to get into.
    Yeah, you should definitely make time to see it. Natural History and Science museums are also cool.

4. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

Our Smithsonian Institute is an excellent complex of museums, but the collections in the UK seem absolutely fabulous. No, I have no plans to croak in the near future. I'll retire in about 4 years, and I definitely want to spend time over there.