What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Blacklist Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I did enjoy the twists and turns, but these "super villains" who know everything, have all the answers, always one step ahead of even the most brilliant person wear thin with me after awhile. I'll be eager to see if the writers can bring something novel to the table concerning that.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Spader just chews up scenes and spits them out like nails. This has such a unique filming style that it may take me a bit to get used to, but the chase sequence on foot really stood out as something different from what I've seen before on TV.

I like how they are building this show differently from what I've seen before and the cast is quite strong. I'm locked in for the season.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Last night, Reddington confirmed that he met Kean beforehand, but she evidently doesn't have any memory of that meeting which probably means she was either a toddler or baby. I'm glad they added Parminder Nagra to the cast. Also, good to see Jane Alexander and Isabella Rossellini guest starring here.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Even though I swore off major network television, I decided to give this a try after hearing some good things and watched the pilot last night.

I'd say it was really dumb, but kind of fun. I have to disagree on Spader's acting though. I'd say a much better word for it is over-acting. But Adam is right - the Emmy voters will eat up a role like this (even though it won't be deserved).

One potential problem with the show is that I don't think there could be a legitimate reason to explain why the Reddington character is doing what he's doing other than to have some fun, which if that is the explanation, I could probably live with that. But my guess is they will come up with some convoluted reason.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Scott Hanson said:
Even though I swore off major network television, I decided to give this a try after hearing some good things and watched the pilot last night.

I'd say it was really dumb, but kind of fun. I have to disagree on Spader's acting though. I'd say a much better word for it is over-acting. But Adam is right - the Emmy voters will eat up a role like this (even though it won't be deserved).

One potential problem with the show is that I don't think there could be a legitimate reason to explain why the Reddington character is doing what he's doing other than to have some fun, which if that is the explanation, I could probably live with that. But my guess is they will come up with some convoluted reason.
My convoluted theory is that he is part of a deep and long-term covert operation sanctioned and known by only a few high level officials in which he cultivates this list for over 20 years then re-emerges to execute the elimination of those named on it. His lfe has been a lie as indicated by Reddington himself.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I've been really enjoying the show. For network television I think it's the best new drama of the fall. I've been liking James spade rand am not seeing the overacting mentioned above. I think yesterday's show made it pretty obvious that he's her father. I will be curious to see how that plays out this year. My guess is that has being double crossed by a very high up crime syndicate leader and he knows that there is a dollar figure on his head. I think he knows that he doesn't have long to live wants to reconnect with his daughter at the same time bring this group down one by one, thus helping his daughters successful career, and eventually I think he knows that he will Be killed. I think either by the FBI agents for the crime syndicate people that he is been taking down one by one or both will try to get him in the end. But whatever happens, I think it will be a great ride.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I didn't get the complaints about the female lead being too lightweight in the pilot, but I did here. It's not just her performance; it's the way the character is written. If Reddington is making such a big deal about how special she is, ideally we should see glimmers of something special in her too.The second episode did get me with the twist, though. I didn't see that coming at all, and -- like all of the best twists -- I definitely should have.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Unfortunately the second episode wasn't as good as the pilot, but there was some humor at least. Some of Spader's lines are so cheesy though.

I'm not really feeling the female lead either, but I think my biggest issue with the show is how far removed we are from what's really going on. I mean, it seems to me this Reddington guy is basically God and can pull all the strings he wants, but it all happens off screen so we're just left shaking our heads and thinking, "Okay then..."

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Scott Hanson said:
Unfortunately the second episode wasn't as good as the pilot, but there was some humor at least. Some of Spader's lines are so cheesy though.

I'm not really feeling the female lead either, but I think my biggest issue with the show is how far removed we are from what's really going on. I mean, it seems to me this Reddington guy is basically God and can pull all the strings he wants, but it all happens off screen so we're just left shaking our heads and thinking, "Okay then..."
If only I could. :P

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Very impressive, but even without those DVR numbers, The Blacklist feels like a hit on its own even without The Voice as a lead-in.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
They might have lost me with this latest episode. I was kind of intrigued by the pilot, but they haven't done anything since to keep me interested. Just seems like the same thing over again each episode, and the female lead really is a bad actress. I may give it one more episode because the previews for the next episode about a serial killer looked somewhat promising.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you think Megan is a bad actress, wait till Leave Me Like You Found Me sees the light of day.

I think she is playing her character as needed...

A green FBI agent in over her head.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
schan1269 said:
If you think Megan is a bad actress, wait till Leave Me Like You Found Me sees the light of day.

I think she is playing her character as needed...

A green FBI agent in over her head.
Same here, I thought her acting is fine.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Reddington is shaping up to be a truly engaging villain on the TV landscape. This show isn't going out of its way to pull any punches, either.

Come on, Lizzy, figure stuff out!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks