The Blacklist Season 1

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by mattCR, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Well, that's what I kind of posted. :) I couldn't help thinking of Lester Bangs in Almost Famous when he meets William Miller (a.k.a. Cameron Crowe) - "Good-looking people don't have any spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter."

Beauty-ism? Perhaps, but it boils down to the tone the series is going to take. Does it want to be a serious thriller in the vein of Homeland, or does it want to be something else? Maybe I'm comparing her performance to Jodi Foster (Silence of the Lambs) and Claire Danes (Homeland) and finding it wanting in comparison. Is that fair? Probably not, but that is kind of what is rolling around in my noggin after watching the first episode.

She isn't bad, but she just feels a little out of her depth (which admittedly the character is supposed to be at this stage of the game in some sense.)

- Walter.

2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Terrific debut by NBC's standards. Won the hour in both the 18-49 demo and total viewers:The Blacklist 3.8 (18-49 rating) 10% 12.62 million viewersCastle 2.2 (18-49 rating) 6% 11.48 million viewersHostages 1.8 (18-49 rating) 5% 7.48 million viewers

3. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer
    Supporter

I enjoyed it a lot. Spader is just fantastic as usual.He connection between Reddington and Keen? He is her father would be m guess.

4. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    Too on the nose. I'm betting her father worked for him or it turns out he killed her father. They'd know almost instantly if he was her father after they drew blood

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Or both of those possibilities. Right, I don't think he's her father as the FBI would most definitely do a DNA test to determine why is she special to him.

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Voting no on Red being Lizzy's daddy. But there is obviously some connection.

7. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    I agree that's too obvious, and everyone would groan if it were that simple. OTOH, it's not impossible they will go there.

Maybe Red is a time traveler and Liz is his mother.

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Would you send your mom into all sort of dangerous situations? :D

9. Robert Crawford

Robert
    In today's DNA era, wouldn't that be easily discovered by the FBI immediately.

10. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Maybe it was her mother that was the secret agent...Sent from my LG-P769 using HTF mobile app

11. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    Well, if he knows the outcome...

12. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer
    Supporter

Sure doing a DNA test would be easy but in reality who would think to do one since her parentage is believed to be accurate.

13. Robert Crawford

Robert
    The FBI would do so to determine why would Reddington pick out and demand he only talks to an inexperience profiler. With today's threats, I have a hard time thinking the FBI woudn't be very thorough going over every detail by following up all possibilities behind Reddington's motives.

14. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    The whole subplot of the show...

"You don't even know who to look for"...

Suggests the "vetting" of Keen was inaccurate. Maybe a wee twing of The Americans will rear its ugly head...eventually.

Matter of fact...already happening. Who is her husband...and why "her"?

The pre-view of next week suggests she and Reddington aren't going to clue him into the act that she knows. Reddington obviously already does know.

The only plot hole is "if her husband is some kind of spy/babysitter"...how was he not spooked by the appearance of Reddington...???

15. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Until we know what her husband is, we can't answer that? Hell, it wouldn't surprise me her husband works for Reddington.

16. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    As an aside to this whole paternity thing...

Typical American thought process. The subject of "is he her father" wouldn't even register in Europe. (go back and find articles from Europe about the "big Star Wars reveal" and how Europeans saw that)

I can see this show spinning in all kinds of angles...

A wee bit of The Following with The Americans and the West Wing. Isn't NCIS going after this kind of story arc at the moment?

Why couldn't Keen's mother have simply been the "other woman" for Reddington...no kid involved?

17. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    Because they got it from the beginning. Vader is basically 'father' in German, so they almost always knew him as 'Dark Father', so what was there to really get?

18. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    There is more to it than that. Outside "UK church issues"(we won't go there)...

The idea of a child not knowing the father is not a big deal(or as much). So it is more than "Dark Father"...

It was...oh, OK...we get it. Start the golf clap.

19. Jeffery_H

Jeffery_H Supporting Actor

I REALLY enjoyed this show a lot and was surprised just how good it was. To me, just about everything clicked on this show. It had good writing, pacing was well done and the acting was as solid as TV gets or better. It had some themes of 24 in it and Homeland. Also, I like James Spader and felt like he really did a good job in the role he plays. Overall, the show hooked me after watching it and I can't ask for more than that.

One of my favorite shows so far that I will be watching.

20. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Cinematographer

Josh Dial
    I thought the pilot was fine: nothing really amazing, but nothing terrible, either. The acting was serviceable, though I wouldn't say it was as "solid as TV gets or better." Everyone played their part, and did a good job--which to the show's credit, is more than you get from a lot of network TV these days.

The bridge sequence looked really good, but was a little too cliche: as soon as you saw the convoy stop, you knew it was going to get hit.

Ultimately it set the stage for what could be a good season, so I'll be tuning in.