What's new

The BLACK HOLE Subwoofer (2 Viewers)

ChrisA

Second Unit
Your not intruding on my thread at all. Any driver or product which can push the envelope of performance is what we are here for...

I have to admit I am quite content with the performance of the Black Hole Subwoofers until I can actually build a room/house from the ground up.

More later...

Bill Fagal

Stunt Coordinator
I have to admit I am quite content with the performance of the Black Hole Subwoofers until I can actually build a room/house from the ground up.
No Doubt!

You've got probably the baddest ported bass setup in known space! Extremely impressive. I doubt you'll be yawning over it any time soon.

I've been giving some thought to room structure, too. To cancel the significant newtonian forces my drivers will doubtlessly create, I'll probably recommend a force-cancelling bipole config, equaling about 1 cubic foot of displacment per cycle in a two-driver sealed alignment. With that kind of displacement, you'd better think twice about your home before you have your friends over for a demo of 8 Hz sine waves. The drivers will certainly have to come with an appropriate disclaimer of liability for damage to home and belongings.

Bill Fagal

Stunt Coordinator
For the sake of thoroughness, I guess I'll have the lawyer pencil that in too. Puts me in mind of a name for the driver. Big power names are a dime a dozen, and mostly taken anyway. How about Mr. Poopy Pants?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Maybe something sophisticated like "La Manure", or a little alliteration to entertain the car crowd: "Fagal's Fecal Fountain".

Thanks, I'll be here all week.

Bill Fagal

Stunt Coordinator
Jack,
You've obviously given this some thought (and I appreciate it) but I'm not sure I'm too keen on a product that juxtaposes my surname with "fecal fountain.":thumbsdown:
Unless it would REALLY sell, that is.

Bill Fagal

Stunt Coordinator
By the way, since I'm already talking about my projects here, I'll also mention that I'm planning a passive radiator. Since this suspension topology is so scalable, (motor Xmag is the limiting factor), I'm thinking of prototyping a PR with perhaps 100mm of one-way Xsus. It will share components with the active driver, so its Sd will be the same at about 1090 cm^2. It should also be mass-loadable up to maybe 6+ pounds--I'll have to see what kind of a beating it can take.

Bill

Bill Fagal

Stunt Coordinator
Jack,

You've cut to the quick of a real concern of mine: How do you keep walking furniture, passing cats, and curious fingers away from the *WHACK* zone? Trying to avoid an ugly mesh box, I've thought of putting a couple bars over the excursion zone, but if you get a finger caught between the bar and diaphragm during a 10Hz transient, that could be even worse.

Don't know exactly what to do...

Bill

ChrisA

Second Unit
FAGAL'S FECAL FOUNTAIN :emoji_thumbsup:
FAGAL'S FU***** PHENOMENA!
FAGAL'S DEEP IMPACT
FAGAL'S XBL^4
FAGAL's FU I GOT 100 Xsus!
Don't worry about anything, making an appropriate
grill guard is certainly the easy part...

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Isn't it just too cool when a sub designer's biggest concern is how to protect people, animals and furniture from the effects of his driver's performance? :)
Name suggestion: THE FAGAL GUT-WRENCHER
Another: THE FAGAL INFRASONIC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks