What's new

The Beverly Hillbillies Season 1? (1 Viewer)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
While technically they're not wearing dresses, you forgot one of the all-time greats.

whitechristmas.jpg

At least they didn't have to try to keep a straight face, lol.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
And why did Mrs. Drysdale disappear from later seasons? I thought she was hilarious as the vexed put upon neighbor of the hillbillies! And loved Sonny and her poodles!
There may be other reasons, but I suspect one is that the show really lost focus in the final seasons. It became less about using the Hillbillies to make fun of the city people and more about making fun of the Hillbillies. With that change, there wasn't much of a role for her.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
How many seasons did Mrs. Drysdale last?
How was explained that Margaret left the series? Used to love when she would say Milburn!
One my favorite episodes was with the bird screeching Milburn and granny thought she turned Margaret into a bird.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
According to Wikipedia, she last appeared in 1969, probably at the end of season 7.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
According to Wikipedia, she last appeared in 1969, probably at the end of season 7.
She was in S8, The Hero, episode 13 aired on 12-17-69. She might have been on a follow up episode or two, but that was the last episode I remember her being in. At least she was prominently portrayed as the focal point along with guest Soupy Sales.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I'm a 59-year-old who watched this show as a kid first run and, apart from what's out on DVD, haven't seen it since it left CBS. I remember being frustrated by the later seasons. The sense of the writing "running on fumes", the phasing out of Mrs. Drysdale and the evolution of Miss Jane's character to one that is, while more realistic, mature and less a caricature of a man-hungry spinster, was far less funny. I know times were changing and the early Miss Jane of 1962-1964 was somewhat demeaning to women, I sure missed those early years.

I loved her chasing after Jethro and his denseness to it: "Jethro! I'm taking a bikini to Palm Springs!" -- "Heck, Miss Jane, you can ride with us!"

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I have just received season 1 of Beverly Hillbillies...except original sponsor Winston cigarette openings and closings, which you have the option of playing, all original footage is re - mastered to the usual CBS standards...the extended original pilot episode, with those sponsor segments, times out to 32 minutes...26:41 if you play the night of broadcast version with original sponsor segments...and 25:26 without...

I'm very happy to have the newly remastered first season, finally!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I have just received season 1 of Beverly Hillbillies...except original sponsor Winston cigarette openings and closings, which you have the option of playing, all original footage is re - mastered to the usual CBS standards...the extended original pilot episode, with those sponsor segments, times out to 32 minutes...26:41 if you play the night of broadcast version with original sponsor segments...and 25:26 without...

I'm very happy to have the newly remastered first season, finally!
At the moment, I'm debating between this and THE HONEYMOONERS CLASSIC 39 EPISODE set from '03! From what I recall, I really loved the early Beverly Hillbillies episodes, and the night of broadcast options (Which I've never seen!) are enticing! The current pricing on Amazon Canada is pretty comparable (Under $25 each) for both.

CHEERS! :)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
At the moment, I'm debating between this and THE HONEYMOONERS CLASSIC 39 EPISODE set from '03! From what I recall, I really loved the early Beverly Hillbillies episodes, and the night of broadcast options (Which I've never seen!) are enticing! The current pricing on Amazon Canada is pretty comparable (Under $25 each) for both.

Honeymooners is out on blu-ray in much better pq. Go with the Hillbillies

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Honeymooners is out on blu-ray in much better pq. Go with the Hillbillies
Thanks, Joe! I was unaware (Or perhaps, I forgot?) of THE HONEYMOONERS more recent Blu-ray release! Are these original night of broadcast versions, by chance?

I ask because, while the above set is quite expensive when going direct via Amazon Canada, where it currently costs well over $60, it currently can be had via Amazon Marketplace Merchants for around $40 (Including shipping). For me, it might be a case of going with the higher quality release while it can be had for a reasonably obtainable (Again, for me!) cost!

Ah, decisions! :P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks