What's new

The Beatles: 1 (Blu-ray Audio/Video) (2 Viewers)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't know what's going on with this...but the version I ordered from Amazon (single BD version) has dropped in price to $22.48...but is now listed as Region B/2!!

confused-smiley-013.gif

Playback Region B/2 :

This will not play on most Blu-ray players sold in North America, Central America, South America, Japan, North Korea, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Southeast Asia.

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
Mike Frezon said:
Tom: I get the feeling we're not gonna know if they'll be using those mixes...or all-studio tracks for those particular videos.

I'm getting the sense that maybe these releases are designed to have the videos accompany the re-mixed audio tracks rather than the other way around.

On the one hand you've got stereo and surround re-mixes of the audio (that's significant). But, on the other hand, you've got extensive restoration of the video clips (also significant). And it sounds as if the two are going to be married together (also significant).

So the "live" video performances are going to have a re-mixed studio track underneath.
I think in the case of Hey Jude and Revolution, we will get the unique versions. I can't imagine in Revolution Paul and George singing the Be Bop A Lula backing and those words don't come out of their months. With Hey Jude I believe Paul sang live over his prerecorded vocal so a unique double tracked vocal resulted and that will remain in this releases.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Dee Zee said:
I think in the case of Hey Jude and Revolution, we will get the unique versions. I can't imagine in Revolution Paul and George singing the Be Bop A Lula backing and those words don't come out of their months. With Hey Jude I believe Paul sang live over his prerecorded vocal so a unique double tracked vocal resulted and that will remain in this releases.
I think the 5.1 mixes on the DVD of the Anthology point to Apple's ability to preserve the original live vocals on those two tracks, while still providing good-sounding "new" audio. Considering that I saw the 1968 TV broadcast of these two videos on "The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour" on a black-and-white 23-inch set with a rip-roaring 3-inch single speaker, I don't mind not repeating that authentic experience.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
I don't know what's going on with this...but the version I ordered from Amazon (single BD version) has dropped in price to $22.48...but is now listed as Region B/2!!

confused-smiley-013.gif

Ron: I think you might need to change your OP. It is starting to look like there are really only TWO flavors of this release (for Region 1):

1. the 27 track CD with one video disc (either DVD or Blu--27 tracks)
  2. the 27 track CD with two video discs (either DVD or Blu--27 tracks + 23 tracks)
The one I pre-ordered--the singled-disc Blu-ray--looks to be Region B/2 only. That is the way Amazon is now listing it...AND this article from Rolling Stone Magazine (which is mostly press release puffery) says there are only the two versions I listed above.

I guess for the price difference, I might as well get the 1+ Blu set.

I still wish these discs came with a Blu-ray Audio section on them...or there was a Blu-ray audio only release. I know some people may not "get" my issue here...but while it's fine watching the videos once in a while, I would really like to concentrate on the music (with no video) and be able to navigate the discs easily.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Mike Frezon said:
I still wish these discs came with a Blu-ray Audio section on them...or there was a Blu-ray audio only release. I know some people may not "get" my issue here...but while it's fine watching the videos once in a while, I would really like to concentrate on the music (with no video) and be able to navigate the discs easily.

I'm hoping that these might be authored in such a way that we can hit "play all", crank the receiver up, and turn the TV off, and just use the "back" and "forward" buttons on the remote to skip tracks if necessary. Would be a bummer if the disc didn't have a "Play All" function and made you go back to the main menu between songs.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I totally agree with Mike .. a Blu ray 'pure audio' file would have been totally correct.

As befits someone who attended the Beatles' Melbourne concert at Festival Hall in June 1964, I will of course have to get the deluxe release, but the opportunity lost does irk me!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
AnthonyClarke said:
I totally agree with Mike .. a Blu ray 'pure audio' file would have been totally correct.

As befits someone who attended the Beatles' Melbourne concert at Festival Hall in June 1964, I will of course have to get the deluxe release, but the opportunity lost does irk me!
Hi Anthony!

Their Melbourne concerts also marked Ringo's return, as Jimmy Nichol had performed the previous engagements while he was convalescing due to tonsillitis!

I agree that separate Blu-ray audio and video would have been fantastic.

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Frankly, I don't see how. The source is four track. If instruments are buried on one track of the four track, they're still going to be buried, even with digital manipulation.

Because of the way that The Beatles, George Martin, and Geoff Emerick recorded the songs, that isn't the case. I have a copy of a 1999 article from Mix Magazine about the Yellow Submarine film and Songtrack remix that explains the situation. The Beatles were so far ahead of pretty much everyone else at that time, save for perhaps Brian Wilson, that we can have mixes today that sound like they were recorded yesterday, pardon the pun.

Here's a link to the article which is, thankfully, still online. :)

http://www.mixonline.com/news/profiles/it-was-31-years-remixed-51-yellow-submarine/372347

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Yes Tony .. we all got very excited when Ringo was well enough to join the lads in Melbourne. I was a cadet journalist on The Age in Melbourne at the time and had to get special leave to quit work early to go to the concert .. cadets normally stayed onto after the First Edition to make any necessary changes down on the stone ... which would take up to midnight!

And Brian, the LPs attest to the wonderful mixes the Beatles were given in their latter years ... I fortunately have very nice 24-96 dubs burnt onto DVD from virgin vinyl so I guess I don't really need a Blu ray version for the audio .. I'm just being greedy!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
Ron: I think you might need to change your OP. It is starting to look like there are really only TWO flavors of this release (for Region 1):

1. the 27 track CD with one video disc (either DVD or Blu--27 tracks)
  2. the 27 track CD with two video discs (either DVD or Blu--27 tracks + 23 tracks)
The one I pre-ordered--the singled-disc Blu-ray--looks to be Region B/2 only. That is the way Amazon is now listing it...AND this article from Rolling Stone Magazine (which is mostly press release puffery) says there are only the two versions I listed above.

I guess for the price difference, I might as well get the 1+ Blu set.

Well. I don't have the foggiest notion what is going on with this release.

My original pre-order (which I have retained) is for the single-disc Blu which has now dropped to $22.48. Just a couple days ago, Amazon changed that listing to being locked for Region B/2. They noted that in two places: in a big banner at the top of the page and in the product description.

And now...it is gone and the product is listed as Region A/1.

I now also have a pre-order for the CD/2-Blu release.

I guess I will now need to make a decision...given the assumption that all things remain "as is:...as to which one to keep.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Tony Bensley said:
I agree that the trailer looks great, but I FEEL FINE is still missing the echo reverb, as it also does on the original BEATLES 1 CD issue, and DAY TRIPPER sounds to my ears like it still has it, instead! :P

Great overall presentation, nevertheless!

CHEERS! :)
I Feel Fine is not supposed to have that massive reverb. It was added for the US market. It seems, actually, that the new remix has more reverb now than the UK original, which was extremely flat.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I'm sure they are completely different mixes, and I'm equally sure it's impossible to judge them without hearing them in 5.1

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
bigshot said:
I'm sure they are completely different mixes, and I'm equally sure it's impossible to judge them without hearing them in 5.1
Of course they are completely different mixes and masters and not only the 5.1, the 2 channel is also newly remixed and mastered.

As are the videos.

Not directing this at you bigshot but there is abundant info on what the content of this release is outside of Amazon which is never the definitive resource.

Sheesh, for posters on an Internet forum you'd think people had never used Google before or accessed The Beatles official site.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
The problem with this release is that a lot of people want it to be something it isn't and they get upset about it... Is the reverb going to be in the right place? No, it's a new mix. Is this going to have a high bitrate audio only option? No, this is a disk of videos, not an audio disk. Just look through this thread and you'll see people who don't seem to understand. I think the problem was that they used the title of an audio CD for a video collection. It's two different things with the same name.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I don't even exactly understand what this collection is.

At first, I thought it was Blu-ray audio mixes of the Beatles songs.

Now, I think there's a new audio CD of those songs and the Blu-ray is the videos.

Am I close to being correct?

And what's the difference between the 1 and 1+ sets?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
It's Simple.

the "1" set is the remastered CD with a companion VIDEO disc on either DVD or Blu of music video footage.

The "+1" is the same thing, but with a bonus video disc.

None of them include a special hi-resolution option. I'm guessing we see hi resolution disc/download Beatles in a year or so when they run out of other material to release and need something to put out to hold off on LET IT BE. ;)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Ronald Epstein said:
And what's the difference between the 1 and 1+ sets?

1 has two hours of video. 1+ has three and a half hours of video.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Russell G said:
It's Simple.

the "1" set is the remastered CD with a companion VIDEO disc on either DVD or Blu of music video footage.

None of them include a special hi-resolution option. I'm guessing we see hi resolution disc/download Beatles in a year or so when they run out of other material to release and need something to put out to hold off on LET IT BE. ;)
I think it can be successfully argued that the 1 and 1+ sets contain high resolution audio already; they're just not "audio only" discs, which is fine by me.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Stephen_J_H said:
I think it can be successfully argued that the 1 and 1+ sets contain high resolution audio already; they're just not "audio only" discs, which is fine by me.

We'll know for sure when it's out, but it still wont be a proper hi-resolution audio disc. not with the 5.1, PCM Stereo and who knows what other options. Better than CD hopefully.

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
Shemp,

Russell G said:
It's Simple.

Russell G said:
We'll know for sure when it's out, but it still wont be a proper hi-resolution audio disc. not with the 5.1, PCM Stereo and who knows what other options. Better than CD hopefully.

Shemp,

The music on the CD is remixed, remastered down sampled to 16/44.1.

The Blu-ray discs are 24/96 PCM in 2-channel PLUS 5.1 in DTS-MA(24/96) and Dolby Digital.

What part of 24/96 is unclear?

No one, including Apple, ever claimed the Blu-ray discs were Audio Only, they have the videos on them.

The music tracks are offered in CD quality on the CD.

The music tracks on the Blu-ray discs are offered in 24/96 2-channel and 24/96 5.1 and apparently lossy DD.

Aside from the CD, what isn't hi-res about the Blu-ray discs?

I'll answer that for you, nuttin'!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks