The Avengers (2012) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Simon Massey said:
(Do they have their own series - I never read the comics ?)
I read they're are no plans for them, but I think Marvel would be wise to rethink that since both got plenty of screen time and the audience seem to respond to them positively.

On another note, I missed the word controversy so can anybody spoiler the scene in which it was spoken so I can noticed it on my second viewing tomorrow?

Crawdaddy

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Ryan, Whedon just said that the original cut was over 3hrs and the blu ray will have 20-30 minutes of deleted footage.
On a side note. My 9yr old son's favorite character was Hawkeye. Which is surprising since most kids his age like Cap or Iron Man. Although, I did have to explain why Iron Man called him Legolas. :)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Just got back from seeing it. The best time I've had at the movies in a LONG time. The theater was near full, and the audience laughed, cheered, and applauded (including me!). It's funny, it's epic, and it's action packed. All the heroes (and Tony Stark shows he IS a hero) were given good screen time. Pure comic-book greatness.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
That final scene (before the Marvel/Paramount/Disney distro credits) had me in stitches, although my wife didn't get it.

Originally Posted by Patrick Sun /t/278084/avengers-movie-thread/180#post_3922749
P.S., yes, stay for 2 additional scenes in the end credits, one comes right after the spotlighted actor credits, and the other one (so hilariously on-point) comes at the very end of the credits.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I just saw The Avengers and even though everyone else has said the same basic thing, I'll say it again- this movie was awesome. I enjoyed the other Marvel movies (especially Captain America) but this was my favorite one by a mile.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
From Whedon...
According to director Joss Whedon, The original cut of the movie was over 3 hours long. There will be about 30 minutes of the excised footage included in the DVD Release, most of which revolves around Steve Rogers (Captain America). Whedon revealed that one of these scenes involved Rogers struggling to adjust to the modern world in his Brooklyn apartment and another revealed Steve Rogers' reunion with Peggy Carter, his love interest from Captain America: The First Avenger.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
RobertR said:
Just got back from seeing it. The best time I've had at the movies in a LONG time. The theater was near full, and the audience laughed, cheered, and applauded (including me!). It's funny, it's epic, and it's action packed. All the heroes (and Tony Stark shows he IS a hero) were given good screen time. Pure comic-book greatness.
Your statement pretty much reflects my experience as well. Easily the most involved audience I've had going to the movies in a long, long time.
Some people said this was basically Iron Man 3, but I didn't get that vibe at all. Iron Man and Captain America were first among equals, but by no means did either steal the show. In many ways, this felt like golden age filmmaking, in that the studio (Marvel) had a large staple of talented stars on contract, and it put them together in a big movie to play off each other and do what the audience wants from them.
It wasn't a huge surprise that Joss Whedon can really write Tony Stark with all of the wit and quickness we expect from him, given his track record. The surprise for me was how well he wrote Captain America, a character that doesn't permit him any of his usual crutches. I'd always downplayed his involvement on polishing The First Avenger script in my head, but now I'm not so sure. And more so than the Bana and Norton takes on Bruce Banner, Ruffalo's take is one I'd be interested in seeing a film built around. His Hulk is a pure joy to watch in his element, but his Banner promises something other than running and hiding and doing covert research on himself. There's a sort of gallows acceptance of his fate I found really fascinating. Clark Gregg remains awesome as Agent Coulson; I really hope that's not the last we've seen of him.
Loved the montage at the end, with all of the news broadcasts and the little kid reenacting the battle with his own sound effects.
Can any comics fans clue me in as to who the council was that Fury reported to? I figured SHIELD either reported to the US president, or the Security Council. The idea of a shadowy group with access to nukes is a little disconcerting. And was that the chick from Walkabout as the female council member?

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I haven't seen a true crowd pleaser movie like this in a long long time. The audience was laughing and cheering throughout. So much so I missed the line The Hulk said after dealing with Loki but I am pretty sure I know what he said. That got the biggest cheer by far. There also seems to be a whole sub-plot that was cut or never filmed about Banner gaining control over The Hulk because Tony Stark was constantly hinting that he should lose control and it would not be nearly as bad as predicted. It was quite clear Stark knew something no one else knew or could help Banner gain control but nothing came of all that innuendo.
The only thing that seems a bit odd to me is in all these movies, The Hulk seems 100% indestructible. The more they try to stop him the stronger and more invulnerable he becomes. Everyone else seems like they could really be seriously injured or killed but not The Hulk. Takes away some of the tension.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
:star::star::star::star::star: out of :star::star::star::star::star:
I took my son and 4 of his 11 year old friends who love the Avengers, and it was the best time I had in a long, long time. The action sequences were just incredible. I know I am not recommending the movie to anyone here, but WOW!!! I don't think another movie will impact me the way this movie did for a long time. :cool:

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Jon Z wrote (post #195):
It shows the team in a small cafe eating shawarma while the owners are cleaning up a mess. Ruffalo almost breaks out laughing, but its Helmsworth whos really funny in the clip . . . .
Now what would've really made that clip a "classic" comedy moment would've been . . .
to have the camera slowly pan rightward and, at the end, on the right edge of the frame, find the HULK sitting there munching on (gobbling down?) the goodies.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Chuck Anstey said:
The only thing that seems a bit odd to me is in all these movies, The Hulk seems 100% indestructible. The more they try to stop him the stronger and more invulnerable he becomes. Everyone else seems like they could really be seriously injured or killed but not The Hulk. Takes away some of the tension.
That's pretty much in keeping with the comic book character, though. Piss him off more (which they were doing a lot of), and he just gets stronger....and stronger...with no definite limit (he's said to be able to jump into space, and in the comics, I saw him holding up an entire mountain range).

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Took the kids tonight, and enjoyed it a lot with them along. I realized in watching it a second time that it's easy to notice things where you think: there is obviously a scene or two cut here..

Examples:

Iron Man tells Captain "I need you to turn off that box.." Captain opens it. Iron Man "So what do you see.." "well, it's powered by something elictrical it seems".. the next time we see Captain, he's sliding the panel back in and saying "Ok, it's fixed". Obviously, there has to be some outtake there that explains how he figured out how to fix it.

I have a feeling that there is a scene early in the movie (really early) where Captain America runs into the waitress he saves at the end, who gives the interview "Captain America saved me"

Amongst others.. anyone else have moment that seemed "obvious" for an extended scene or two?

My kids LOVED the humor; it really sold them.. the Hulk moments went over big (the moment between Hulk & Loki brought the house down at the screening I was with, far more then at the midnight show).. all in all, really this is one of the best comic book adaptations I've seen that really plays with the "fun" angle of the comic book genre.

Whedon though was true to form; great dialogue, a real understanding of his characters, and he used them all well. Whedon did something that is typical Joss that I think a lot of directors/script writers would have been afraid to do - killing off an ancillary but important character as a means to further pull the audience in.. it was one of those things that earned him some curses and praise in his shows and films (Mrs. Summers, Anya, Fred, Wash) but here it's again used to great effect as a means of motivation and a way for the audience to grasp a quick change.

This script was basically a love letter to the genre and it just nailed it from beginning to end.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by mattCR /t/278084/avengers-movie-thread/180#post_3923210
Took the kids tonight, and enjoyed it a lot with them along. I realized in watching it a second time that it's easy to notice things where you think: there is obviously a scene or two cut here..

Examples:

Iron Man tells Captain "I need you to turn off that box.." Captain opens it. Iron Man "So what do you see.." "well, it's powered by something elictrical it seems".. the next time we see Captain, he's sliding the panel back in and saying "Ok, it's fixed". Obviously, there has to be some outtake there that explains how he figured out how to fix it.

I have a feeling that there is a scene early in the movie (really early) where Captain America runs into the waitress he saves at the end, who gives the interview "Captain America saved me"

Amongst others.. anyone else have moment that seemed "obvious" for an extended scene or two?

My kids LOVED the humor; it really sold them.. the Hulk moments went over big (the moment between Hulk & Loki brought the house down at the screening I was with, far more then at the midnight show).. all in all, really this is one of the best comic book adaptations I've seen that really plays with the "fun" angle of the comic book genre.

Whedon though was true to form; great dialogue, a real understanding of his characters, and he used them all well. Whedon did something that is typical Joss that I think a lot of directors/script writers would have been afraid to do - killing off an ancillary but important character as a means to further pull the audience in.. it was one of those things that earned him some curses and praise in his shows and films (Mrs. Summers, Anya, Fred, Wash) but here it's again used to great effect as a means of motivation and a way for the audience to grasp a quick change.

This script was basically a love letter to the genre and it just nailed it from beginning to end.

That scene had the same effect on my audience as everybody howled in glee. Even this morning after thinking about it, I started laughing out loud.

Crawdaddy

EricW

Senior HTF Member

i think that waitress was among the people who were being terrorized by aliens in the scene where Cap gets thrown out the window (and onto the roof of the car) when the alien exploded

EricW

Senior HTF Member
Whedon revealed that one of these scenes involved Rogers struggling to adjust to the modern world in his Brooklyn apartment and another revealed Steve Rogers' reunion with Peggy Carter, his love interest from Captain America: The First Avenger.

now that it's been excised, it would probably be better for Cap 2 than the blu/DVD supplement section.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
EricW said:
now that it's been excised, it would probably be better for Cap 2 than the blu/DVD supplement section.
I read an interview with Whedon where one of things he struggled with was not having the stand alone movies tread on his picture. At one point, Marvel wanted Captain America: The First Avenger to end with Cap on the helicarrier. And Whedon had to say, "Can we please NOT do that?" And the suits were like, "That's funny, Joe Johnston didn't want to do that either. Given those sorts of struggles to protect the integrity of The Avengers, I'd imagine Whedon was really sensitive about not stepping on the toes of the movies to follow his. I'd bet that's the main reason why we don't get a Natalie Portman cameo in the flesh reunited with Thor, too. Not only would Peggy Carter and Jane Foster scenes rob the Thor and Captain America sequels of moments they deserve, but they'd have distracted from the momentum and thrust of The Avengers's story.
If the scene with Cap/Peggy Carter is as good as all these reports say, hopefully they can insert it intact to the Captain America 2 screenplay.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
There's a new king in town -

The top 10 all-time opening weekends, as compiled per BoxOfficeMojo.com stats:
The Avengers, $200.3 million
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, $169.2 million
The Dark Knight, $158.4 million
The Hunger Games, $152.5 million
Spider-Man 3, $151.1 million
The Twilight Saga: New Moon, $142.8 million
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn—Part 1, $138.1 million
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, $135.6 million
Iron Man 2, $128.1 million
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1, $125 million

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
In additional to those Steve Rogers scenes not fitting into an Avengers movie, they don't seem to make much sense in a timeline either. Would Cap 2 start before the Avengers when he first tried to enter the current world, skip The Avengers time, and then continue afterward? It makes a lot more sense to state The Avengers happened only weeks after CA was thawed out and he was still living in the protected area of SHIELD until he was ready to step out. Now that he has stepped out into the world and he is well-known in the current time, it makes sense for him to try to fit in and that would make an interesting part of the beginning of a Cap 2 movie.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Really enjoyed this one. It's like they heard most of my complaints in super hero flicks (aka wolverine) and fixed the problems.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
And was that the chick from Walkabout as the female council member?
I remember seeing Jenny Agutter's name in the end credits but could not remember seeing her in the film. That must be her then!
Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks