What's new

Theatrical Captain America: Civil War (2016) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
What are your thoughts on the IMAX/Arri camera being used to film the Infinity War movies (and the airport scene in Civil War)?

Supposedly the Arri camera better emulates a 70mm camera, so I think it's a cool idea. Unfortunately my IMAX is currently locked in at 2K, so I can't really get the full impact of the extra resolution that people attending the few IMAX locations with the new laser projectors will get. But hopefully there will be some more of those out there by the time Infinity War comes out. The expanded aspect ratio was very cool - but in terms of the overall quality, I couldn't really notice a difference between that and the cameras used for the rest of the film. It just looked taller, but seemed consistent otherwise. It didn't have the immediately noticeable difference that you'd see on a 15/70 print in something like The Dark Knight, where that IMAX 15/70 was noticeably better than the standard 35mm anamorphic photography. So I'm not really sure if that lack is attributable to the DLP projectors at my IMAX, or how the source material looks too.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Supposedly the Arri camera better emulates a 70mm camera, so I think it's a cool idea. Unfortunately my IMAX is currently locked in at 2K, so I can't really get the full impact of the extra resolution that people attending the few IMAX locations with the new laser projectors will get. But hopefully there will be some more of those out there by the time Infinity War comes out. The expanded aspect ratio was very cool - but in terms of the overall quality, I couldn't really notice a difference between that and the cameras used for the rest of the film. It just looked taller, but seemed consistent otherwise. It didn't have the immediately noticeable difference that you'd see on a 15/70 print in something like The Dark Knight, where that IMAX 15/70 was noticeably better than the standard 35mm anamorphic photography. So I'm not really sure if that lack is attributable to the DLP projectors at my IMAX, or how the source material looks too.

I'm curious to see how the IMAX scene looks on UHD Blu-ray. Hopefully Marvel/Disney starts releasing titles on the format by then.

IMDB says that Civil War has a 4K DI. I hope that's correct. I know effects work is more expensive at 4K over 2K, but it would seem like such a waste to be capturing everything at such a high resolution and then only finishing in 2K, especially today. Plus, for those into home theater as a hobby, it's nice to get an even better presentation at home than is possible in most theaters for a while.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
A barista at Starbuck's just told me he thought X-Men: Apocalypse was way better than Captain America: Civil War, which he found overlong and kinda boring. Now, this is the same guy who said X-Men: The Last Stand was the best X-Men movie.

At any rate, I had to strap this on and go after him:

Captain+America+Stark+Tech+Assault+Armor+7.jpg

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
A barista at Starbuck's just told me he thought X-Men: Apocalypse was way better than Captain America: Civil War, which he found overlong and kinda boring. Now, this is the same guy who said X-Men: The Last Stand was the best X-Men movie.

Wow. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and all, but some are just plain wrong.

Gotta get me one of those Cap battle suits.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

What the...?!? Time to buy your coffee someplace else because clearly this guy doesn't have taste.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm curious to see how the IMAX scene looks on UHD Blu-ray. Hopefully Marvel/Disney starts releasing titles on the format by then.

IMDB says that Civil War has a 4K DI. I hope that's correct. I know effects work is more expensive at 4K over 2K, but it would seem like such a waste to be capturing everything at such a high resolution and then only finishing in 2K, especially today. Plus, for those into home theater as a hobby, it's nice to get an even better presentation at home than is possible in most theaters for a while.

I was hoping American Cinematographer could shed some light on that, but they don't mention it in the article. They do say that the movie was shot at 4K but not what post was done at.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I was hoping American Cinematographer could shed some light on that, but they don't mention it in the article. They do say that the movie was shot at 4K but not what post was done at.
Technicolor handled the digital intermediate for Captain America: Civil War. But while the article on their website specifically mentions that they prepared HDR versions for both theatrical and home viewing, it doesn't say anything about 4K.

Rian

Stunt Coordinator

Meanwhile, I had someone at my work say that X-Men Apocalypse was better than Civil War, and the new Ninja Turtles also. I think I'll stop listening to their opinion on movies now.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Meanwhile, I had someone at my work say that X-Men Apocalypse was better than Civil War, and the new Ninja Turtles also. I think I'll stop listening to their opinion on movies now.

Tell your boss and have them fired! You can't work with people with no sense of judgment! ;)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The CA comic Hydra reaction reminds me a lot of when Joker killed Jason Todd in the early 80s. Many people who only knew Batman from the 60s TV show or 40s-70s comics heard "Robin killed in Batman comics" and immediately thought it was Dick Grayson who was killed, and how dare they, and all that. Now it's one of the most iconic and fruitful story arcs in Batman's history.

Last edited:

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Remember that part, around 90 minutes in, where Bucky stuck his fingers in his ears and sang "Mary Had a Little Lamb," and the movie just ended?

:rock::dance::rock:

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron

I know someone like that. Every time I mention Godzilla movies, she goes, "Know which one is my favourite? The one with Matthew Broderick." So, whenever she recommends a movie and she suggests I see a lot of ones I consider to be bad, I remember this. To each his/her own.

I'd put Civil War in my top 4 Marvel movies.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I'm driving this guy crazy now. The barista asked if I saw it yet, meaning X-Men: Apocalypse. I said, "Pfft, I'm waiting for the Blu-ray. Whatever." Which is actually true.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Just to weigh in on the IMAX version...

I was really excited to have the opportunity to watch Civil War in laser IMAX at the SF Metreon. Especially after being blown away by the SW:TFA Millennium Falcon chase in full 1:44:1 IMAX glory at the same location. Unfortunately, even though the airport fight scene expanded, it wasn't as impressive, being only 1.90:1. Oh, well.

Don't get me wrong, the scenes looked pretty sharp, but the change in AR wasn't as eye-opening.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Just to weigh in on the IMAX version...

I was really excited to have the opportunity to watch Civil War in laser IMAX at the SF Metreon. Especially after being blown away by the SW:TFA Millennium Falcon chase in full 1:44:1 IMAX glory at the same location. Unfortunately, even though the airport fight scene expanded, it wasn't as impressive, being only 1.90:1. Oh, well.

Don't get me wrong, the scenes looked pretty sharp, but the change in AR wasn't as eye-opening.

Thanks for sharing that! I was at the SF Metreon once - I saw Fantasia 2000 there in 2000 and it was incredible. Haven't been back since (I'm an east coaster) but I'll always remember that screening fondly. Our 1.44:1 shaped IMAX theater in NYC is supposed to have an even larger screen, but unfortunately they haven't installed the new laser projectors yet - they've been saying "soon" since 2013.

Do you happen to remember if you noticed an increase in resolution during the sequence?

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for sharing that! I was at the SF Metreon once - I saw Fantasia 2000 there in 2000 and it was incredible. Haven't been back since (I'm an east coaster) but I'll always remember that screening fondly. Our 1.44:1 shaped IMAX theater in NYC is supposed to have an even larger screen, but unfortunately they haven't installed the new laser projectors yet - they've been saying "soon" since 2013.

Do you happen to remember if you noticed an increase in resolution during the sequence?

I recall that it did seem sharper. I thought the close-up camera shots and quick edits of the early action scenes was a distraction, but the airport scene redeemed it somewhat.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Captain America: Civil War passed the $400 M domestic mark this weekend. This is the first film of 2016 to do so.

Not bad for a kid from Brooklyn.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks