What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Testing DVDs for Errors (1 Viewer)

Todd B

Stunt Coordinator
There is an interesting thread going on over in the TV Software Forum that is discussing the problems many are having with Universals DVD-18 titles. This post suggested that one can use computer software (in this case, Nero) to pre-test a DVD for errors:

I thought that, given the problems many are having getting DVDs to play on their equipment from time, I would spin off a separate thread on the topic. I also hope that some who are knowledgable about the the gremlins involved when DVDs skip or freeze might be able to comment.

So, is it possible to run DVD scanning software to catch problems on a DVD that might result in a freeze or skip? Can such software catch problems that another player might have even if the computer running the test itself doesn't exhibit such problems?

Todd

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I think the best you can do with a PC is determine there aren't any obvious errors on the disc. In my experience, I find that DVD writer drives and DVD-ROMs can handle disc errors better than standard set top box DVD players in real-time. In other words, if a disc won't play in your DVD player, chances are good it will work on a PC with no problems. However, if a PC can't read all the sectors properly, then there is probably something seriously wrong with the disc and 90% chance it won't play on a standalone DVD player.

However, using a tool such as Nero test can give you a graphical representation of how many errors on a disc the drive had to correct for - that can come in handy!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jw_Malibu
Recent bookmarks