What's new

Terry Pratchett's "Hogfather" (1 Viewer)

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
I don't expect this thread to get more than 5 views, but I know there's some HTF Discworld fans out there somewhere. I just wanted to provide a heads up to those who might not know on the first live-action/CGI DW film to be produced. It will air this winter on England's Sky One (I believe), and I'm sure a DVD release will follow soon after.

Info and on-the-set photos (including ones with Death and either Susan Sto Helit's stand-in or the actress herself, not sure) can be seen here:

http://paulkidby.com/news/mar2006.html
http://paulkidby.com/news/apr2006.html and
http://paulkidby.com/news/index.html

The IMDb page is located at http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0765458/

htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

(the dancing banana is in no way related to the topic at hand; it's just so fun to watch)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Exciting news. I didn't know they were making this one. And Hogfather will be a nice one to do - the whole Death-as-Santa thing should be funny. Should make a good Christmas-viewing TV movie.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
HURRAHHHHH! this book is superb, I think the first or second discworld I love and one I often revisit every holiday season.

they should really mention that the cast list has spoilers for the mystery though.

And that site has discworld tshirts!

I'm definitely buying a luggage one for my best friend. :)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Thanks for the news. My wife will be overjoyed. Pratchett is probably her favorite author.

Jason

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
The official site is now up with a lot of interviews, concept art, wallpapers, and stuff:

http://www.skyone.co.uk/hogfather/

Click on "Videos" for a boatload of very well made "Making-Of" movies. The one about Susan's character ends on a very "Army of Darkness" note that made me smile to no end.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I was at a convention over Thanksgiving day weekend, and they had a Hogfather calendar for sale. It was a treat to see stills from production.

Jason

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for that. Very interesting.

Is this a mini-series, rather than a movie? I just note they have it listed for 17 and 18 December.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
so is this airing in the US or am I going to have to figure out how to get torrents to work and pirate this movie (something I've not done before)?

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz

No information regarding US airtime has been released. The writer/director has said that a DVD will be released in March in R2 ("complete with a large luggage full of extras"). Importing that will probably be the quickest "official" option for those in the US. "Unofficial" venues will of course allow for a more holiday-appropriate viewing. :D

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
SkyOne's website for their production of The Colour of Magic/Light Fantastic is now online.

Starring: David Jason, Sean Astin, Tim Curry, and Christopher Lee. (and Filch from the Harry Potter movies as Cohen the Barbarian)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I think fans of the animated adaptations are going to be happy that Christopher Lee is going to be doing Death again. I remember a few of my friends not being happy about him not doing it in Hogfather.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Dear god where are the DVDs? I admit, I'm waiting for a nice, animated version of "Small Gods"

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
I honestly thought that the other guy did a good job, but the audio people didn't give his voice enough echo/rumble/bass. It needed more post-production work to completely sell him as DEATH. I was under the impression that he would have been back for this movie as well if he had not died earlier this year, leaving the role open for Lee.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Oh, certainly he would have. I haven't seen the animated Discworld DVDs, but I have been told that Lee nailed Death in those, so it is good news for those people as well.

I also noticed on IMDB that the guy who played Filtch in the Harry Potter films is going to be playing Cohen The Barbarian. Good casting.

And all of this is a reminder that I need to order the SE of Hogfather from Amazon UK.

Jason

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad they're doing another one, since I was impressed with Hogfather, but do they have to use David Jason for Rincewind? Surely there are other actors rather than reusing the actor that played Albert.

I can't see any reference to it being a combined COM/LF mini-series - they're just calling it The Colour Of Magic. It's been years since I read the books - is there anything that actually points to it being a Light Fantastic adaptation as well?

EDIT: I've just seen the comment in the director's blog, "Anyway, off to throw some pineapple custard at a man dressed as an Orangutang." I seem to remember that the Librarian never came along until Light Fantastic, so there's my proof.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
There were details at the Cunning Artificer's forum (www.discworldstamps.com) awhile ago that this was going to be a combination of the two books, as separately, they don't have the best plots for films. Together though, it worked out a whole lot better. I wish I could provide you with specific links, but I cannot. You'll notice also, that Tim Curry's character-Trymon-is in TLF, not TCOM.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks