What's new

Tell me about Costco and their Blu-ray selection and prices (1 Viewer)

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
A staffer at one of my local Costcos told me that this would likely be the last year they stock DVD/Blu-ray. She said they'd probably still have the annual Christmas selections and occasional major release titles. It's been obvious that they've been trimming down the department, as has every other B&M store. My local Sams Clubs have already eliminated their DVD/Blu-ray departments, stocking only a handful of videogames as physical media. It's really sad to witness the end of an era.
Sad indeed, I have spent alot of money on DVDs and Blu-Ray at Sam's Club over the years and Costco,
not many people I know buy movies on disc anymore.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It would possibly make me reconsider my membership. Media (books and movies) is the main reason I joined.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
A staffer at one of my local Costcos told me that this would likely be the last year they stock DVD/Blu-ray. She said they'd probably still have the annual Christmas selections and occasional major release titles. It's been obvious that they've been trimming down the department, as has every other B&M store. My local Sams Clubs have already eliminated their DVD/Blu-ray departments, stocking only a handful of videogames as physical media. It's really sad to witness the end of an era.

It would possibly make me reconsider my membership. Media (books and movies) is the main reason I joined.

This causes me to be less longing for a locally based Costco to replace the huge empty space that once housed Target, and Zellers for many years before that!

It's indeed sad, but it's happening at EVERY Brick & Mortar outlet! We also just recently lost a Man Cave outlet, which carried Videos, along with all kinds of other neat stuff!

I believe that what we're seeing now is a decline of physical Home Video, that isn't all that unlike what happened with physical Home Audio towards the end of the previous decade. Like audio, physical video won't necessarily disappear entirely; just massively scaled back, with Digital Downloading an ever more prevalent option!

CHEERS! :)

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
This causes me to be less longing for a locally based Costco to replace the huge empty space that once housed Target, and Zellers for many years before that!

It's indeed sad, but it's happening at EVERY Brick & Mortar outlet! We also just recently lost a Man Cave outlet, which carried Videos, along with all kinds of other neat stuff!

I believe that what we're seeing now is a decline of physical Home Video, that isn't all that unlike what happened with physical Home Audio towards the end of the previous decade. Like audio, physical video won't necessarily disappear entirely; just massively scaled back, with Digital Downloading an ever more prevalent option!

CHEERS! :)

"I'll have to be loyal to the old ways, and die out with them if needs be". Where have I heard that before?:)

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I think it's here to stay, just as one channel among many. Not everyone will always have a good reliable high speed internet connection.

We're seeing the explosion of streaming PLUS Amazon at the same time, which doubly cuts against brick and mortar stores getting into price wars.

People thought Kindle would kill books, but books are showing no signs of going anywhere. Some people like a book. Some people like to buy shows and movies on physical media.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Woo-Hoo!

Great day at Costco

They had (I highlighted what I bought in bold):

The Player
Only Angels Have Wings

The Kid
In A Lonely Place
Nashville
The Manchurian Candidate
The Graduate

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Congrats Ron! That's the same Criterion selection my Costco has had for the past several weeks. Nothing new has come in.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks, Doug!

Surprisingly, a month ago, they had nothing --- absolutely nothing from Criterion. So, this was a welcomed change.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Indeed, and I wasn't really complaining. If Costco is going to be stuck on a slate of Criterions for several months, well, this is a great selection to be stuck on. :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Wouldn't that have been cheaper from BN with one of the 25 off 100 coupon codes and membership discount?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Tony,

If that question was for me...

Yes, a bit cheaper.

However, here's the insanity of what I do...

I budget everything. I have a certain budget for food shopping purchases. If I have a good month where I don't spend as much, it goes for Blu-ray purchases on a certain credit card. So, this month it falls under my food expenditures.

That leaves me a few open slots for more Criterion titles on my other credit card.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My monthly trek to Costco...

So sad. Bare minimal selection of Blu-ray releases.

Absolutely no Criterion titles in the rack.

Interestingly, however, a display for BATMAN vs. SUPERMAN that included 4k UHD copies.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The assumption people are making is that Costco is discontinuing carrying media because no one is buying it. It could just as easily be said that people are buying media at Amazon rather than at brick and mortar stores. Costco was always had great prices on box sets like the Warner Signature sets and the Looney Tunes. Their prices on new releases were never great except when they had instant off sales. Now the studios don't release box sets much anymore and the ones that Costco has had are just the same ones from previous years. I think the reduction in media at Costco is due to their inability to compete with Amazon on new releases and the lack of new to blu ray classic material. I mean how many more gift box sets of Ben Hur, Singin' In the Rain, Complete Dirty Harry, and Harry Potter can they still sell?

It seems the only way to get customers into stores is to offer something that is only available at one retailer and not on Amazon such as extra tracks on a CD exclusive to one store.

Amazon certainly doesn't lack for selection so media is available for purchase . It's just not in stores.

I just preordered the Wolfman Legacy Collection blu from Best Buy which has it for on sale for $14.99. I noticed that Best Buy now sells the Warner Archive films, both blu ray and DVDR but online only. Now if Costco could become the one place where you could purchase Warner Archive at retail they would have a reason to expand their media section. I am sure it won't happen but it would be nice.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The assumption people are making is that Costco is discontinuing carrying media because no one is buying it. It could just as easily be said that people are buying media at Amazon rather than at brick and mortar stores. Costco was always had great prices on box sets like the Warner Signature sets and the Looney Tunes. Their prices on new releases were never great except when they had instant off sales. Now the studios don't release box sets much anymore and the ones that Costco has had are just the same ones from previous years. I think the reduction in media at Costco is due to their inability to compete with Amazon on new releases and the lack of new to blu ray classic material. I mean how many more gift box sets of Ben Hur, Singin' In the Rain, Complete Dirty Harry, and Harry Potter can they still sell?

It seems the only way to get customers into stores is to offer something that is only available at one retailer and not on Amazon such as extra tracks on a CD exclusive to one store.

... Now if Costco could become the one place where you could purchase Warner Archive at retail they would have a reason to expand their media section. I am sure it won't happen but it would be nice.

WarnerBros has a very good relationship with Costco. Although I don't think the the digital download X weeks before the physical media is released worked too well.

More than a few people complained that all they got was a slip of paper with a number on it ... even worse to have to wait for someone to get it from the "Merchandise Pick-Up Area".

They tried to sell a few Olive Blurays: High Noon & The Quiet Man (?) but even the Costco price was $22.00 and they reverted to selling Olive DVDs for about $15. The only Kino bluray they sold, that I am aware was the restored Fritz Lang Metropolis. I was surprised they didn't start selling more as that nearly sold out at both of the locations I checked..

It's hard to compare Costco to a retail store as most retail stores have "catalog" titles (eg Marvel,, DC, "Young Adult" and others from the last few years etc) and Costco doesn't keep a constant inventory. Plus you never know when something will get a markdown ... I bought the LOA giftset (for ME :D) for $75.00 and two weeks later it had a $15.00 instant rebate. During & immediately after the Winter holidays there can be substantial markdowns.

The after Dec 25 time one year they had the Ford at Fox DVD set with an instant rebate that made it $200.00.
Lately, Costco has not even been carrying all the new major releases

Derrick King

Screenwriter
According to the Blu-ray.com forum, September should see Costco carrying the following Criterion Blu-rays:
Gilda
The In-Laws
Dr. Strangelove
The New World (this one is a particularly good deal as it has a $50 MSRP)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
According to the Blu-ray.com forum, September should see Costco carrying the following Criterion Blu-rays:
Gilda
The In-Laws
Dr. Strangelove
The New World (this one is a particularly good deal as it has a $50 MSRP)
Of course after I purchased all of them but The In-Laws & The New World with the B&N Criterion Sale ...;:(

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Of course after I purchased all of them but The In-Laws & The New World with the B&N Criterion Sale ...;:(

Costco doesn't beat the B&N sale. It will typically equal it, but not beat it. So think of it as a supplemental B&N sale when they stock a title. The New World didn't come out in time for me to get it last sale.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Costco doesn't beat the B&N sale. It will typically equal it, but not beat it. So think of it as a supplemental B&N sale when they stock a title. The New World didn't come out in time for me to get it last sale.
Costco usually beats the B&N Criterion sale on $50 MSRP which Costco has been selling for $20. Depending on what coupons are available B&N may still beat Costco on these more expensive sets . So if B&N has a 30% off coupon at the time of a Criterion sale, it would be cheaper. However some B&N stores refuse to accept coupons on Criterions during the 50% off sales (5th Ave @ 46th St NYC I am talking about you)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks