What's new

TCM/Fathom 2017 Schedule Classic Films (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I had better luck than Wayne. I don't know this to be a fact but I assume I'm basically watching the Blu-ray projected on a theater screen but the reason why I enjoy the Fathom screenings is because it's fun to see a great old movie with a crowd that's into it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
They stopped playing those Fathom screenings in my city. Not enough ticket sales is probably the reason.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
They stopped playing those Fathom screenings in my city. Not enough ticket sales is probably the reason.
The screenings I go to are usually pretty well attended. Certainly not in danger of selling out but I make sure to get there at least 20 minutes early to get a good seat. A few years ago when there was virtually no promotion, there'd be maybe half a dozen people but that's definitely changed.

The exception was the Dracula double feature back in, I guess, October 2015 which had well under 10 people in it. And out of that small crowd, a couple people left before the second movie even began.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I took my girlfriend with me to see NORTH BY NORTHWEST today. It was her first time seeing it and she loved it. I believe this was my third time and I've never seen it look better (never got around to watching my Blu).

There's a documentary out there called OUT OF PRINT, which talks about why film prints are so important. In the cases of these films, as well as the others that Cinemark shows, I'm glad they're not 35mm prints. The reason is simple. There's not a demand for these movies so shipping around 35mm prints would mean that most theaters wouldn't show them. Crowd sizes vary, although I will say that foreign movies and B&W aren't that popular. There were probably around 80 people at the 2pm showing of NXNW, which was pretty good for this type of event in the area that I watch these.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The Regal website has the 2018 schedule up.

The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre: January 14 and 16*
The Philadelphia Story: February 18 and 21
Vertigo: March 18 and 21
Grease: April 8 and 11
Sunset Boulevard: May 13 and 16
The Producers: June 3 and 6
Big: July 15 and 18
The Big Lebowski: August 5 and 8
South Pacific: August 26 and 29
Rebel Without A Cause: September 23 and 26
Mr. Smith Goes To Washington: October 14 and 17
Die Hard: November 11 and 14

The days are the usual Sunday and Wednesday (*except Treasure which is Sunday and Tuesday for some reason).

I don't know if I'll get to all of them but I really see The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre, The Philadelphia Story, Vertigo, Sunset Boulevard, Mr. Smith Goes To Washington and Die Hard.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Nice list. I'm in for Sunset Blvd, The Producers and South Pacific for sure. Maybe Grease and Big.

Last edited:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Now that's what I call a classic lineup, one where I would make an effort to see them all. And being a kid in the 1980s makes it odd to see movies from that era referred to that way, even if they were well-received when they were new. To me, that word evokes at least a certain amount of time passing.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Now that's what I call a classic lineup, one where I would make an effort to see them all. And being a kid in the 1980s makes it odd to see movies from that era referred to that way, even if they were well-received when they were new. To me, that word evokes at least a certain amount of time passing.
What gets me is that movies from, say, 1997 are 20 years old now and they still seem relatively new to me. However, a movie that was 20 years old when I was a teenager was ancient. That didn't 'disqualify' them in my mind (even before I was a teen, I watched movies from all eras) but they were still old to me.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Another October with no horror film? Booo.

They just played TREASURE in 2016 so why are they playing it again? I got to see MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON on the big screen earlier this year as well as REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE.

Dear TCM.... KING KONG.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I've seen quite a few of these over the years including Ten Commandments, Ben Hur, Spartacus, Vertigo, Rear Window and a few others. It's a little frustrating because of the Sunday/Wednesday showtimes but I try to make it on the Sunday showings if the family doesn't have anything going on. I'm looking forward to seeing Vertigo again on the big screen. Rebel Without a Cause would be good too. I didn't see Treasure the last go round so that might be interesting as well as Mr. Smith.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Treasure must have been well-attended. That's the only reason I can think of for repeating it so soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks