What's new

T2 Extreme vs. T2 Ultimate comparison screenshots (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Damn. If the theatrical cut is on there, it's hard for me not to buy it.

Decisions, decisions...

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
So simple, even my mom could do it. Assuming she was assimilated by the Borg first.
Also the difficult thing watching the HD is that you can not go backward or forward (at least I wasn’t able to find how). You can jump only chapter by chapter. I watched 10 mins of the HD on my 15” LCD monitor which is nothing fancy but OH MY GOD! The quality is obviously superior in every aspect. Now I’m converted. I think I have to re-purchase some titles in HD-DVD in the future! I always thought that DVD is good enough for me and HD is just a fancy thing, but not anymore! :emoji_thumbsup:

Britton

Screenwriter
Here is a history of my opinion towards the EE:
1) Unwilling to purchase since I figured it was just a rebadged UE.
2) Really unwilling to buy it since there would be no DTS track.
3) Intrigued by the WM9 "high definition" version of the movie.
4) Tempted by the the screenshots of the improved transfer.
5) Willing to plunk down the cash, but with some hesitation as the theatrical (and personally preferred) cut was not included.
6) Pissing my pants in anticipation for June 3rd now that theatrical cut will be on the EE.

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
I have no problem getting the new Extreme edition based solely on the screenshots here and the new commentary. That's good enough for me. I already own the Ultimate Edition (and suspect that most here do also) so I'm not that fussed if the bulk of the extras from that earlier release are missing here. Artisan COULD have combined the new transfer, the commentary and the Ultimate extras into one giant package, but it's no big deal to me that they didn't. I usually don't double-up on titles but I will here. The combined shelf space of both the Ultimate and the Extreme edition is just a few centimetres/inch-and-a-bit, so I'm not going to bemoan the lack of having it all combined into one pack. The two releases make a nice display of how far DVD transfer technology has come in the past few years, too.

Don May Jr. (from Synapse films) was discussing the 'downconversion from Hi-Def' process for DVD transfers over at another board. I'm paraphrasing, but he mentioned that the final product was typically visibly better than transfers that hadn't been created via the same process. All of Synapse's future discs (a new BRAIN DAMAGE S.E, THRILLER [not the M. Jackson vid], LEMORA and so on are being transferred in this manner. Anchor Bay are also reportedly doing this with their future transfers, and the first one out of the box is their upcoming Special Edition of George Romero's DAY OF THE DEAD, which apparently looks remarkable.

If this sort of improvement is typical of the process, I could handle seeing more of it. Given the amount of money I've spent on my home theater system, I can't get all that upset with the occasional title upgrade. I also like the idea of stuff like - maybe - the ALIEN QUADRILOGY benefitting from this process. It's also nice to feel that James Cameron has relelented on his 'no commentary' stance and will be doing chats for his other films in the future. (I think the Bits has mentioned that an ALIENS commentary is pretty much a given).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
wasn't there some sound effects missing from the UE near the beginning, that were on the first t2 release?

wonder if that was addressed for this version.

jonathan_govols

Stunt Coordinator
Is there any kind of rebate for UE owners or a movie ticket for T3 (I know Artisan DVD and WB film but I guess it could be worked out) in this set? If one of these is offered I will be happy to double dip.

Darren Pillans

Second Unit
Can someone please post shots of the packaging?

Please?

Please (with a whisper)?

Sam, are the 2 extra scenes from the Extended SE on this disc?

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I aint buyin it...I like the UE...and yes theres an improvement on picture quality...but its not that significant and I would never notice it on my set...so I'll just stick with my UE...

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
as I have said before, I will buy this edition along with the UE I already own and will not sell it.

A shame that the Guns 'N Roses video is not included.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I’m listening to the audio commentary now. It’s a great commentary. They have a lot of fun and joke a lot! Along with the “Goonies” audio commentary this is one of most fun audio commentaries I have ever listened to. I’m not really a fan of audio commentaries but this is a must! James Cameron also tells a lot of anecdotes about Arnold’s jokes which are fun. He also says that he still stands by the theatrical cut of the movie and doesn’t think that all the additions were necessary. :emoji_thumbsup:

WillG

Senior HTF Member
"are the 2 extra scenes from the Extended SE on this disc?"

Yes they are. If you watch in interactive mode you will get an Infinifilm style pop up that will take you to these scenes where they would have occured in the film

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Joshua_Y,
Way to hang tough!
Your wont buy, will buy posts both appear at 12:18.
So, you didn't even last a minute!
I feel your pain/exuberance.
I 'also', was not going to buy this (was waiting for HD-DVD).
However, this is T2, for crying out loud!
Now, a 'must' buy! :b

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I have to say they look the same to me. Or any small difference I see in no way to me justifies buying yet another version. To me the extremely small differences that show up in static images would be invisible to me in a moving image.

You know in another 2-3 years they will just put out the "super duper fantastico terminator 2 ultimate box set". Where they have yet tweaked 10 more frames to make it look sharper to get people to yet again buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks