What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Sweet Land - 7/10 (1 Viewer)

Casey C.

Stunt Coordinator
Amazon is showing a July 10 release for "Sweet Land," a wonderful little film that was released independently last year. It stars Elizabeth Reaser (recently seen on "Grey's Anatomy") and Tim Guinee, with supporting roles by Alan Cumming, Alex Kingston and John Heard. "Sweet Land" won Best First Feature for director Ali Selim at the Independent Spirit Awards. I saw "Sweet Land" in the theater here in Minnesota and highly recommend it.

DVDActive has the press release and cover art:

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/sweet-land.html

Don't like the cover art at all; far too modern for a film set in 1920. The movie poster is much better:

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Not a great cover, but not horrible. The theatrical poster is definitely better though.

I thought Sweet Land was a very underrated film. I thought it was great.

Casey C.

Stunt Coordinator
Today's the day! I'm picking one up (and one for my mom, whose 62nd birthday happens to be today). Anyone else?

In the DVD reviews section of this week's Entertainment Weekly, it gets a C-plus because they say the story is "treacly" :frowning: I beg to differ.

ToddJ

Second Unit
what did you think of it? i love the movie, but i am biased...i worked on it in the extras casting department (and as an extra myself.) they shot it in my hometown of Montevideo, Minnesota...

Casey C.

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Todd: Enjoyed the film very much; it was one of my favorite films from last year. I popped it into the DVD player after work last night but haven't made it to the bonus material yet.

So did you actually make it into the finished film?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Fantastic film, and yes that's weird DVD cover art the poster is much better.

In any case, this was out at about the same time as The Painted Veil which was a similar kind of story of two people falling in love sort of by necessity (and disliking or outright hating each other at first). But this is the absolutely superior film, highly highly recommended. Beautiful cinematography, great acting, simple and touching story.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrharris
Recent bookmarks