What's new

Sweeney Series On Dvd (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Anthony
Almost exactly five months from my first post and the first SWEENEY disc is in my player now.
Happy to report that - so far - this is just one of the best UK TV sets I've ever seen. From covers to menus to features to the episodes themselves, all concerned have done an absolutely superb job.
PQ is a little grainy, as you would expect, but that's not necessarily a disadvantage when it comes to THE SWEENEY.The 5.1 remixes are sometimes echoey but the original mono soundtrack is there for anyone who finds this unbearable.
But the surprising additions - the Thames logos, the sitcom (John Thaw and Bob Hoskins), the music tracks (on most, but not all, of the episodes as far as I can tell)- are above and beyond the call of duty.
Oh, and the series itself is pretty good as well.At under £27 on Amazon I'd recommend this set unreservedly to both fans and the curious.:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
P.S REGAN at www.hmv.co.uk for £5.99 !

Real Name
Anthony
Amendment to the above post : I was jumping the gun a bit on my comments about the 5.1. I had only listened to it through my television at that point (I know, but I was excited !). In fact, the 5.1 remixes are way BETTER than I expected, really full and spacious with a clear and authentic centre track.

This really is one of those dream sets, folks. I just hope it sells well enough for them to release the remaining three, and that there's no drop in quality when they do.

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
This set is amazing. I've watched the first five episodes and i'm loving it. great acting, great banter, lots of gritty punch ups, plenty of police brutality, great funky soundtrack, un-pc attitudes,screeching tyres. This IS Television, no UK drama now can even touch it. It makes Spooks look like the work of a cambridge graduate bed wetter (which i'm sure it is!). The TV shows of the 1970's had balls. Buy this set. We should all own this. :D :emoji_thumbsup:
"Fancy a pint guv?"
"Yeah, well the pubs are open aren't they?" :D

originally posted by Craig:Mclaren: great acting, great banter, lots of gritty punch ups, plenty of police brutality, great funky soundtrack, un-pc attitudes,screeching tyres. This IS Television, no UK drama now can even touch it.
I couldn't agree more. One looks at The Sweeney with its marvellous scripts, the chemistry between Thaw and Waterman and all the rest of it and it's baffling why we seem unable to produce modern equivalents. I reckon that in 5-10 years nobody's going to remember 'Spooks' (aka 'MI5), 'A Touch of Frost', 'MIT', 'The Bill' etc etc but I'll bet people will still be watching and adoring every minute of The Sweeney.:emoji_thumbsup:

Alan Lee UK

Stunt Coordinator
Choices Direct are listing Series 2 with a release date on Jan 19, however DVD Source have the release date as Feb 23.

Not listed anywhere else at the moment (including the Network site itself), but the above two sites do have cover art, so things are looking promising.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i am looking at purchasing The Sweeney down road and would welcome input around this series. It looks like it was British version of Starsky and Hutch.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I still have interest in this show and welcome input on the quality of the dvd set. The sets are still too expensive and if I see the right price then I may buy the set

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks