What's new

SVS PB2-Plus: Very happy with it! (1 Viewer)

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Notice I didn't say "review?" Those expecting full RTA measurements done with a $12,000 OmniAudioScope 5200A will be sorely disappointed. ;)

Yeah, I thought about posting my seat-of-the-pants analysis done with the same two dozen movies that everyone else has done the same thing with and I thought better of it.

How many times can you say "The Depth Charged scene from U571 dislodged a filling in my tooth and broke my neighbors' window!!!!" before it gets a bit tedious? Righto. We all know what this thing can do. :D

I've had my PB2-Plus up and running now for about four months now. Due to my living in an apartment, I've only had it cranked to what I feel was about 3/4's of top volume twice. :emoji_thumbsup: And yes, the neighbors complained both times. :thumbsdown:

The three scenes I risked eviction for were of course, The Depth Charged Scene, The Pod Race and the scene from the DTS version of The Haunting where the invisible thing is running down the hall after her...I think it's called "Knocking" or something like that...you guys know what scene I'm talking about, I'm sure.

I just sat on my couch and drooled. I was in awe at the sheer volume and depth of the bass. I could FEEL it more than I could hear it. The sound waves ruffled my shirt and pants from across the room..about 11 feet away. The pressurization of the room was wild...It was as close to having sex as you can get with your clothes on. Short of a thunderclap going off very close by and the detonation of HE Explosives used for mining and debris clearing, I've never felt anything like that before.

This fine piece of equipment sounds incredible at any volume, with any movie or any type of music, and blends in very well at 80Hz with my Axiom M22Ti mains.

Oh, I have two ports blocked (16Hz tune) and have the subsonic filter set to 16Hz. No monkeying around with running no subsonic for me; this thing cost too much to mess around! The sub's crossover is disabled and the crossover on my receiver is set to 80Hz.

Not the best pic in the world, but here it is in the corner, next to one the M22s. BTW, it is 5 inches from the side wall and 6 inches from the rear wall.

I am VERY happy with it and would recommend it to anyone in a heartbeat. Sure, it costs a little, but you get what you pay for when it comes to HT Gear!

I had a Cerwin-Vega LW-15 before purchasing the SVS...I can't compare them b/c it just wouldn't be fair. The CV is a Yugo and the SVS is a Porsche. That's the best way I can put it.

A couple of final notes:

I know there are a few apartment dwellers here besides myself. Just for reference's sake, I usually watch movies at -10db level on my Denon 3803; yes, I'm calibrated to 85db using Avia. Once it passes about 9:00PM, I'll drop the volume to about -15db, just to keep the peace.

Finally, I know there's no such thing as an OmniAudioScope 5200A. But it sounded really good, no? :D

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
I find the PB2 series to work optimally with either one port plugged, or all ports open. In the 20 Hz tune, you'll see strong extension to 14-15 Hz in a mid-size room, and considerably more overall SPL capability and dynamic range vice the 16 Hz tune.

And don't bash the OmniAudioScope 5200A; it's a fine piece of test equipment.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Hi Edward JM,

Your review of the PB2-Plus is THE one to beat as far as I'm concerned. That must've taken you weeks to do. It's great that this hobby has guys like you to do those sorts of in-depth reviews. :)

I tried the sub with only one port blocked for about a week...then I tried it with two blocked and it just sounded better to me. *shrug* I'm sure room acoustics has everything to do with it.

I might change my mind on the one vs. two ports topic if I could get to crank it up once in awhile. :rolleyes:Being that I usually have to watch movies/listen to music at a comparitively low volume to what I'd LIKE to listen at, I'm not sure it makes too much of a diff, unfortunately. Someday, when I'm in my house, I'll really give it the testing it needs to determine what tune is best, I guess.

Simon Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Congrats also on your fine purchase. The power and depth that SVS subwoofers deliver is outstanding. Since buying the B4+ I'm still amazed at how effortlessly the bass is delivered no matter the load. My god when a friend of mine brought over the Haunting (DTS) it was the first time I've actually been affaid of not knowing what was coming next after the first knock that shook my place it was truly amazing. U571 is always at the top of my list when showing off the sub as is Master and Commander (DTS). Enjoy your purchase mate and never look back.

On a side note Edward your reviews are simply fantastic and very informative and you make HT exciting for me and others. Thanks for taking the time to do those reviews.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

A most valid point. At lower volumes, there is absolutely no reason NOT to go with the 16 Hz tune.

At higher volumes if you want a few dB more overall output in exchange for losing some extension in the 12-16 Hz region, then the 20 Hz tune is the WTG.

If you REALLY want to crack plaster at RL, then open 'er up and let all those bark holes breathe deep. You'll still get good extension to 20-21 Hz in most rooms and almost unlimited power/output.

And thanks to both of you for the flattering comments; just my way of giving something back to the on-line community. I've learned FAR more from everyone than I could ever return.

My vote for Ed too. I know very little about the science surrounding subwoofer design and placement, so I find his reviews incredibly informative since his only goal is to impart information to the forum and not sell advertising or a snooty attitude. Given his strong knowledge in this area, he could be vain or look down on some of our less than erudite questions, but he patiently answers them all from my observations. Craigsub is doing a similar service and I am looking forward to his review of the Maestro. BTW, I just ordered a PC Ultra yesterday and it should arrive on Tuesday. I look forward to asking the members for advice regarding placement options for this sub in my room . ;)

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Very well-said, Stephen Shadow. I agree with you completely.

Edward JM: I loved your "If you really want to crack plaster" comment. :D I can only dream.

When I had it cranked up during The Pod Race, I knocked pictures off the wall in the apartment next door. I know this b/c that was their main complaint to the management. :D Gotta love that.

AFA running w/all the ports open: I'm sure that at ungodly volumes the diff in response b/t 16Hz and 25Hz is a moot point anyway...the in-room extension would probably get me down to there even w/all the ports open. I hope to test this out for myself someday. But in the meantime, I've got to live here.

It's a really nice apt/apt complex. It's just TOO quiet, that's all. I'll be watching LOTR: FOTR tonight though. Galloping Ring Wraiths, anyone?
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks