What's new
World Wide Stereo

Svs 20-39pc+ (1 Viewer)

Hey gang,
This is my first post to the forum. I've been lurking for a short time, and I have come to the conclusion that I can't do without a kick but sub any longer. I recently upgraded my main front speakers from Optimus mach3's (Radio Shack)that I've had since I was twenty something. I used to think that they were great sounding speakers, that was before I realized what music should sound like, and it's not the muddy, boomy, mess that these things pump out.
So now I've evolved into a pair of Pinnacle Black Diamond 1000's. I am experiencing my CD collection all over again, and hearing sounds that I never knew were there before. The musicality of these black beauties is amazing, at least to me anyway. They even produce surprisingly, nice, tight bass for a pair of 5.25" drivers, at low to moderate volumes that is.
Which brings me to my question, is the SVS 20-39 PC+ video shielded? I am assuming not, for I did not see any mention of it on their websight. But I thought I might ask the many SVS junkies in this forum what your experiences have been regarding incorperating these beasts in your listening room, particularly near your RPTV.

728x90

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Not shielded, I had a 20-39PC+ about a foot or two from the TV with no probs. My PB2+ did. Here's a pic:

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
I have a 20-39 PC Plus about 1M from my Toshiba CRT RP. No problems with colour banding/purple haze etc.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
No, the SVS is not video shielded.

I thought RPHDTVs were relatively immune to mag field interference, but during a recent calibration/service the technician demonstrated otherwise to me.

Simply moving a magnetized screwdriver anywhere near the color guns caused the convergence to go out. Ditto on moving the PB2+ around (which is near my TV also, like WayneO's).

In any event, the technician stated that if you move the TV or the sub, simply run an auto-converge (MagicFocus on my Hitachi) and you're all set.

Once my TV and sub were in place, and the convergence was set, I have never had a problem with mag interference from any SVS, and this is my second sub (20-39PC+ and PB2+).

Regards,

Ed

PS - WayneO - really nice rig. :)

Mike_T_

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne, are those speakers the v3 Studio 100's? They look nice. I have the v2's and love them. That SVS looks spectacular...I'm going to mate the studio's with the 20-29pc+ one of these days as well. Nice setup you have there!

BrentG

Stunt Coordinator

What was your reason for switching? Reason I ask is because I am trying to decide between the the new 20-39PC Ultra and the PB2+, I like the looks of the Cylender better but will go for performance over looks. This is strickly for movies.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I must be out of touch with Paradigm product and that's sad, but aren't they the Monitor 11s?

They look so similar!

Different worlds both pricewise and soundquality wise.

Brent

WayneO

Supporting Actor
They are Monitor 11's v.3. Thanks for all the compliments. Just for kicks, here's the PB2+ oriented so it doesn't mess with my RPTV, I guess the drivers were offset just enough and maybe the port tubing blocked a little of the magnaetism to keep my TV unaffected where it sits. Placed normal, with the ports firing back agains the wall and drivers down, I just couldn't get the distance I needed.

I switched cause I bottomed it out while listening pretty loudly, guess my tastes and room required more power. So upgrade I did. The peak output difference is considerable. It will be less so with the Ultra, but still a good 2-4dB's better peak.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Basically same reason as WayneO. I never bottomed by 20-39PC+, but I know I was pushing it pretty hard at times, so I wanted to play it safe and know I could push my system to Reference Level if I wanted without damaging the sub.

In my 2000 ft3 HT room, the PB2+ hits Reference Level (about 120 dB bass peaks) at the seat without apparent strain. It's the rest of the room I worry about. :b

At more reasonable but still loud listening levels (like -10 RL) the PB2+ is not working hard, is totally effortless, and has tons of headroom and very low measured distortion. Just how great bass should sound. :emoji_thumbsup:

Regards,

Ed

Richard_M

Second Unit
Hey WayneO

Nice setup, and I love the PB2+ in that position, looks great!!

I take it the amp and ports are on top and the picture frame is to hide the wires etc.

Richard

Wayne,
Any particular reason for turning your PB2+ on end and eliminating the bottom plate? Was it for performance purposes, or is it just a better fit in your HT oriented that way?

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Actually performance is best set up conventionally with the ports firing at the wall. I get about 1-2dB gain, but of course the sub has enough that I don't need the reinforcement. The reason it's setup like that is because the magnetism messes with the TV picture and becaue it stuck out a little to far as it interfere with the RF speaker if sitting on the left side. Putting it on it's face gives it a smaller footprint that allowed me to nudge it further away from the TV. And since the drivers are offset, in this position they are now on the opposite side of the TV and I now have the port tubes now between the TV and drivers as well. This all helped to eliminate the magnetic interference. Of course I tried other spots in the room but that spot gave the best sound and so I tried my hardest to keep it there. It's kinda funny it worked out this way because I saw a pic a while back of someone who set their sub up just like this and I thought it looked cool and was gonna consider setting it up like this. Turned out it was a necessity.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMan56
Recent bookmarks