What's new
World Wide Stereo

Surround Speaker placement questions (1 Viewer)

Stephen Gladwin

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I've settled into my new 5.1 setup for a while now and I like it very much, but it's not quite perfect yet. I have a less-than-optimal design for my HT room, especially where my surrounds are concerned. It seems the general consensus for surround speaker placement is high (about 5-6 feet above listening level), to the side, and 2-3 feet behind the listener. Unfortunately, I have vaulted ceilings, and the highest I can put my speakers is about 6 inches above listening level. Currently I also have the speakers placed directly parallel with my listening level. If I can't put the speakers higher (they are JBL E10s and can't be ceiling mounted), would it make that much of a difference acoustically to remount them further back, like another 2-3 feet? Perhaps I could buy some ceiling brackets? If I put them on ceiling brackets, they would be hanging off the sloped ceiling: would this cancel out the surround sound accoustically?

**Also: Would playing around with the distance settings on my Denon receiver accomplish a more spacious surround sound? Thanks!

728x90

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

Ceiling mounting not a good idea. If you got the room, another 2-3 feet behind your sweet spot will work better.

Although my side surrounds are 6-feet high, they are 3-feet behind my sweet spot and work gloriously. Check out my speaker dispersions in overhead view of my 20' x 30' HT/family room. (Basically the same pattern used in the typical 5.1 & 6.1 Mixing Studio's)

Can't believe that I'm answering this from Hawaii! ;) Aloha!!!

Phil

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Why shouldn't surround speakers be at ear level since the fronts are recommended that way?

Dick Knisely

Second Unit

They can be but you're sacrificing the vertical surround, i.e., if the sound is supposed to be above you (and lots of ambient sounds are) you'll miss out on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks