What's new

Supposed to fly from NYC to San Fran tomorrow AM -- I'm really really scared. (1 Viewer)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member

Yes.

The way I look at it is there is nothing I can do. If the plane crashes I die. If my car crashes I might die. I might die walking across the street, I might die getting hit by lightening.

Unless you are a cop or in the military there is nothing you can do. Forget about it and get on with your life.

I'm flying tuesday morning and I don't even give it a second thought because it is so far out of my control that its pointless to worry about it.

Go to the airport. Stand in line at security watching all the morons who are trying to carry on big bags full of wrapped presents complain that it all has to be unwrapped, and laugh at them when they complain. Its all good fun. Air travel can be a lot of fun if you go in with a certain attitude.

MikeM

Screenwriter

Actually, if you're flying out of SFO, it's supposed to be the only airport in the nation where after you unwrap your wrapped gifts and go through the security checkpoint, they will re-wrap them for you free of charge. No joke.

Mawiyah

Agent

i *did* come back -- yesterday. but i don't think anyone noticed. the flight was just fine. i felt silly for being so freaked out. you all made some very good points, particularly that the chances of me being in a plane that is hijacked is quite slim, and that i need to just chill out and live life! i'm really happy that i decided to get on the plane and that i'll now enjoy the holidays with my family.

also, i'm female. :)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Are you hot?

I will be in the city the next couple of days. I can be your bodyguard.

--
H

Mawiyah

Agent

:laugh:

i don't think my boyfriend would approve. but thanks for your generous offer -- you're so chivalrous!

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor

As common as this is, I completely can't relate given that I grew up on Air Force bases. :)

As many mentioned, any hijacker trying to take over a plane in this day and age is going to have a very tough time of it, and I'm sure Al Qa'eda knows this. Besides, they almost never repeat themselves.

I spent part of my childhood through the West German terrorist campaign and they were setting off bombs in the areas I lived/played/etc. I know full well that the real terrorist campaigns are not the acts of violence, but the many, many false threats in between acts of violence. It is entirely possible that Al Qa'eda knows the increased chatter results in government warnings (I'm sure they watch CNN), and may have created "false chatter" just to produce this very result.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

if they don't get capped by an air marshall, they'll be lucky if they don't get chopped in the head by the first officer with a crash axe (big nasty sharp mofo) or worse, shot by the flight deck crew carrying a pistol.

There was an air rage incident like oh, a year ago where some guy just flipped out and tried to break through the cockpit door, I think he got about half in from what I read, and the FO bashed his head in with the crash axe, then they zip tied him to his seat and continued on to their destination, lucky the guy didn't bleed to death.
Side note, this whole high security and armed personnell on board has really cut down on the number of air rage stories I read about :)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
in march, i will be flying to spain to see my gf who is getting her masters degree in madrid, and it will be my first time flying since 1988, i was 10 at the time. i will be pretty nervous, and i was thinking i could just drink a great deal, but in reading this thread, i didnt think aboub having a clear head if anything happened. i wouldnt get really wasted though. it is strange, i love airports, when i recently picked her up, i went an hour early and just walked around. i cant explain it, i just like seeing how it all operates. dont worry, i didnt start the drinking early :)

CJ

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
Bah. The real reason to stay sober on a flight is that flying is a beautiful experience filled with wonder. Of course that's just my experience. :)

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Congratulations on overcoming your fears and having a good trip. Hopefully the earthquake didn't make things any worse. :)

Jason_Els

Screenwriter

You have a spiritual companion in, of all people, Deborah Harry. Before she was famous she used to go to JFK just to hang-out and watch people from all over the world come and go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks