What's new

Blu-ray Review Jurassic Park Ultimate Trilogy Blu-ray Review - Recommended (1 Viewer)

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I believe that a single of Jurassic Park (the first movie) and a single of Back To The Future (the first movie) will be made available this year as part of the 100th Anniversary idea.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I just read that the first movie is getting converted to 3-D for its 20th anniversary next year so maybe they'll do single releases (or the sequels if Kevin is correct about the first one coming out this year) then as a tie-in.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Wasn't it *years* before BACK TO THE FUTURE on DVD was ever offered as single releases?
I'm not holding my breath, but I'm sure I'll just break down and get this eventually when its cheap enough.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by MattAlbie60 /t/315806/jurassic-park-ultimate-trilogy-blu-ray-review-recommended/60#post_3907395
Wasn't it *years* before BACK TO THE FUTURE on DVD was ever offered as single releases?
I'm not holding my breath, but I'm sure I'll just break down and get this eventually when its cheap enough.
Target had the BttF set for either $14.99 or $19.99 in the third or fourth quarter last year, IIRC. I don't know if we'll see JP down that low, but if it hits $25, I'm sold.

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
According to Amazon, it was 2002 when that original BTTF set was released and it wasn't until 2009 until single releases were offered. So yeah, if the JP set gets cheap enough, it's mine. Screw a potential 7 year wait :)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by MattAlbie60 /t/315806/jurassic-park-ultimate-trilogy-blu-ray-review-recommended/60#post_3907424
According to Amazon, it was 2002 when that original BTTF set was released and it wasn't until 2009 until single releases were offered. So yeah, if the JP set gets cheap enough, it's mine. Screw a potential 7 year wait
The BD of BttF came out in 2010 as a three movie set. The price drop was last year, when I picked it up. The DVD came out in 2002 (I remember that very clearly). Single discs of the BD version aren't out yet, as far as I know.

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Oh, I know. I'm talking about single disc releases on DVD. I'm aware that the single disc blus aren't available yet. Buying all three BTTF movies was something I feel badly about, because they all truly feel like one part of a larger story. With JURASSIC PARK, there's "the great first one" and "the not so great others," and they all operate independently of one another to a certain extent, so I'd just prefer the first one.

GregK

Screenwriter
TravisR said:
I just read that the first movie is getting converted to 3-D for its 20th anniversary next year so maybe they'll do single releases (or the sequels if Kevin is correct about the first one coming out this year) then as a tie-in.
I think the best part of the 3-D conversion is we will very likely see a brand new transfer, which is a no brainer before starting the expensive conversion process. This in turn would provide an improved version even for an eventual 2-D re-release. And the first transfer (IMHO) could use it.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Am I missing something? Didn't Spielberg say a while back that he wouldn't permit any more revisions to be done on any of his films? I would think this would include 3D conversion.
Edit: I just found where Universal has officially announced it for 2013, so I guess they don't need Spielberg's blessing and probably don't care if he has any objections about it.
GregK said:
I think the best part of the 3-D conversion is we will very likely see a brand new transfer, which is a no brainer before starting the expensive conversion process. This in turn would provide an improved version even for an eventual 2-D re-release. And the first transfer (IMHO) could use it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Mark-P said:
Am I missing something? Didn't Spielberg say a while back that he wouldn't permit any more revisions to be done on any of his films? I would think this would include 3D conversion.
Edit: I just found where Universal has officially announced it for 2013, so I guess they don't need Spielberg's blessing and probably don't care if he has any objections about it.
I think he said it while promoting Tintin but I saw him say that he thought that Jurassic Park was the one movie of his that he thought would work as a 3D conversion so I'm sure he's involved (and while Universal can legally do what they want, I doubt they'd go ahead if he was unhappy with it). As for not making any changes to his movies, I know he's said that but I wouldn't take that as a 100% absolute. I'm sure the original version of E.T. will be available and they won't add a digital shark to Jaws or anything but I'd be surprised if the wire pulling the buoy in Jaws or the cobra reflection in Raiders Of The Lost aren't still digitally erased.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if I would equate a 3D version with the types of changes he said he was not going to do anymore. It doesn't change the actual content of the film

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I agree with Mark that 3D conversion is just another form of revisionism. It doesn't bother me as long as the original version is available, too.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
While I will first say that I have real issues with people doing these 3D conversions of movies that were shot for 2D, any conversion of Jurassic Park would only be done with the participation of Steven Spielberg. I also agree that any 3D conversion would be, by definition, a digital manipulation of the movie.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
UK e-tailer Play are advertising "Jurassic Park: Augmented Reality Edition" coming out on April 23 for £9.19. The Bluray seems to have a ton of extras, and doesn't include the sequels. The same day Universal are apparently putting out "Augmented Reality Editions" of Gladiator, King Kong (2005), Apollo 3, The Mummy, Shaun of the Dead, Blues Brothers, Paul, Bourne Ultimatum, Back To The Future and Despicable Me. All are in 100th Anniversary packaging with new cover art.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Based on the list of extras and the technical specs, I'd say the "Augmented Reality" Edition is actually just Disc 1 of the set I reviewed in this thread. The timing of the release lines up with when the list in the other thread indicated the individual release would go.

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
In case anyone is interested, Amazon UK is running a really good sale on this right now, I got it for $20.85 shipped to the US, and it is Region Free. I had been debating this since it came out and just wasn't sure if I liked the sequels enough to get the set, but at $21, it makes it more doable.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /t/315806/jurassic-park-ultimate-trilogy-blu-ray-review-recommended#post_3865342
I also thought the re-mixed audio was slightly disappointing on Jurassic Park, i didn't feel it had the same slam or dynamic feel to it as the original 5.1 mix, i heard it straight away on many sequences where i felt the audio lacked the power of the original mix, thats how i felt, i know many will disagree with me, it was a good sound mix but i felt the original was great and somewhere along the line this 7.1 remix has neutered the originals powerful mix.

I now must disagree with myself, after re-calibrating my entire audio system recently i re-visited Jurassic Park, the power of the mix is back, it's dynamic again, this just goes to show the importance of calibrating your system, i made a mistake when i posted the above last year and i just want to say that in this thread, it's a fantastic sound mix.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
I now must disagree with myself, after re-calibrating my entire audio system recently i re-visited Jurassic Park, the power of the mix is back, it's dynamic again, this just goes to show the importance of calibrating your system, i made a mistake when i posted the above last year and i just want to say that in this thread, it's a fantastic sound mix.
Major props for coming back and providing an update/correction to your earlier assessment. I could not agree more on the importance of calibration. But I'll take it one step further: video as well as audio calibration.
Imagine the endless debates here and in other HT forums about color saturation, whether something is too bright, too dark, crushed, etc. Then walk to your local Best Buy, Costco, etc. and look at how nearly every set looks different from every other set even though they're showing the same video feed. And that's with likely out-of-the-box settings. Now imagine millions of people setting the Brightness, Contrast, Sharpness, Color and Hue to their personal taste (I'll wager less than 0.01% of people even own a calibration disc, or use the THX calibration found in some titles).
That's why I take AQ/PQ reviews with a grain of salt.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks