What's new

Superman Rebooted (1 Viewer)

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
From AICN...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40084

BRACE YOURSELVES FOR THIS....

- McTeigue confirmed that Plastic Man was the next project in the pipeline for the Wachowski's and he had been signed on to provide Second Unit support. Says the movie has been delayed indefinitely due to a major shake up of projects at WB.

- Bryan Singer has refused to undertake a re-boot of the Superman franchise and has left the Executives at WB with no choice but to take a fresh creative direction.

This is it....

- He stated the Wachowski Brothers had been approached to re-boot the franchise as a trilogy and they are currently reviewing their options as its like being asked to take the final play in a superbowl final. Says if they do agree, he will likely either succumb to providing second unit support on the movie or will champion the directorship of Plastic Man - He started to giggle as he stated its like a young child for the Brothers and they wont give that up easily.

- Says, the very thought of the brothers making a superman movie is unbelievable as they have grown up in the world of comic books and they would be ideal for the project.

- Stated that Bryan Singer is looking to move on to Logan's Run a movie to be produced by Joel Silver.

Mr. Film

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Keegan
It's the right time for a reboot. I liked Superman Returns and I'd like to see Routh play Superman again, but a reboot's a good idea. I'vee liked some of the ideas that have been thrown around for the reboot. The latest rumor is the Wachoski (Matrix, Speed Racer) might get a shot at it.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I have to say I watched some of Superman Returns the other day, and was reminded how much I disliked it. All I needed to see was the asthmatic kid and annoying Lex, and I thought "no more!".

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
A reboot is so unnecessary. The 1978 movie did the origin story well, and more recently we've spent the last eight years exploring the same territory on "Smallville". People know the story. If WB doesn't want to continue the chronology set by Superman Returns, fine, but don't waste an entire movie on a retread. Just jump right into it. Can't say I like the idea of bringing on the Wachowskis. It shows a severe lack of imagination. ("Hey, I know! Let's hire the last people to direct a movie about the flying protagonist that was a major hit for us!") Nothing about Richard Donner's resume would have shown him capable of Superman: The Movie. Nothing about Christopher Nolan's resume would have shown him capable of Batman Begins. What the two had in common when hired was a history of memorable cinematic storytelling. Anybody can learn to direct action; hire somebody who can approach Superman from outside the box.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
If a reboot means retelling the origin, yes. If it means a break from the other films, but with a Superman already established in the world, more the better. I'm not a fan of the Wachowskis, but I can't complain since I am a vocal detractor of Returns and was all gung ho for a change.

Eh, then again . . . yes, I can complain.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
I want a trilogy of SMALLVILLE!!! Wrapping up the show while creating a reboot...set it up for a Justice League trilogy. Have interweveing stories with Lex AND other villians and heros throughout the Smallville trilogy, tie up the loose ends of the show, continue with Justice League...now THAT would be awesome! Plus they would have a bigger budget if it were a movie!

paul_austin

Second Unit

very well said....a reboot is so unnecessary. Continuing Smallville would be the smartest way to go. Either way theres no need for an orgin story. Having the Wachowskis brothers invovled worries me. The first Matrix was good but the others are crap

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Oscar, while WB does respect Donner, they want a fresher take (i.e. through younger eyes) on the material. Nolan is currently doing his sci-fi flick "Inception", which will be followed by his third Batman flick, both at WB, so the studio doesn't want to interfere with either of those projects.

The Wachowski bros. actually makes sense because they have a great relationship with the studio and despite the failure of "Speed Racer" last summer, do have a lot of power within the industry as a whole due to the success of 'The Matrix' trilogy and "V for Vendetta" (for which they produced). Their latest flick, "Ninja Assassin" (serving again as producers) should add another solid performer to their resume. Plus, it would all but guarantee intense media coverage during the whole of the production.

If the duo does sign on to do a Superman trilogy, I'm hoping they opt not to do an origin story. You probably can't do an origin movie as good as Donner's 1978 opus, plus the "Smallville" series has been one giant origin story for the past eight years. Just jump into a story where Superman has already been firmly established. Whatever the case may be, hiring the Wachowski bros. would be a stroke of genius from a marketing standpoint.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
If they don't want to do an origin story. Just do what they did in Spiderman. Have a 5 minute montage using Alex Ross or even live action shots of Krypton exploding, his ship crashing, being rasied by the Kents and then him doing his first rescue as Supes.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I dunno... The Wachowski's had credibility until after the Matrix. Since then, what credibility have they had, beyond producing V for Vendetta? They're disliked for Matrix 2 and 3, considered failures for Speed Racer... I don't see it.

I am glad however that Singer refused to be forced into a reboot. Let the studio burn on its own.

You will believe a man can fly. Woah.

I am however psyched that Singer wants to tackle Logan's Run! That will be something.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Singer was in the midst of developing "Logan's Run" (as well as the third 'X-Men' flick) when he was approached about doing "Superman Returns". He had planned to go back to "Logan's Run" after completing 'Superman' (and before jumping into the sequel he'd planned for 'Returns'), but instead signed on to do "Valkyrie" after 'Returns' failed to ignite the type of reaction from fans the studio was hoping for despite being a success at the box office. With him opting not to return to helm another Superman adventure, it looks like he can now focus his full attention on bringing "Logan's Run" to the big screen.

While the two 'Matrix' sequels were not greatly received by fans and critics alike, they still made a lot of coin, which goes a long way in this "bottom line" oriented business. Though they didn't direct it, the critical success (from both critics and moviegoers) of "V for Vendetta" did go a long way at restoring a bit of the luster they'd lost in regards to the two 'Matrix' sequels. The failure of "Speed Racer" stung, but it ultimately won't hurt them in the long run. They'd need a few flops in a row to do that.

Again, purely from a marketing standpoint, hiring the Wachowskis would be a very smart move by the suits at WB.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member

... I've got confidence that they would capture the right mood for Superman. They may be famous (and wrongly pigeonholed) for The Matrix, but Bound and Speed Racer are not the work of one-trick ponies.

My only real worry about them potentially getting the job is that, when they come up with a distinctive way to make a Superman movie that doesn't specifically genuflect to Donner, or Smallville, or Fleischer, they'll catch hell from the folks who think there's only one way to properly do the job.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I remember when The Matrix Reloaded came out, people looked at the sequences of Neo flying and said the Wachowskis should be the next Superman filmmakers. I think they might do okay, although I'll brace myself for some unwieldly dialogue here and there
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

Well said on that. Again. Not a good decision by Warner.

The 'brother's doing Superman' kind of makes me say, WTF.

But with the economy and other things in Hollywood going on, it's not surprising to see some of the knee jerk responses from the studios. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. I hope it does work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks