What's new

Superman Rebooted (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Not to nitpick, but I think, technically the line to the president was "I won't let you down again" I guess I could be interpreted the same way though as he does say before that "Sorry I've been away so long"

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, he did erase his best friend's memory. But "for her own safety". There are usually consequences to everything Clark does on that show, but regardless he still remains everyone's moral compass. A somewhat "flawed" Clark works, but not a Bruce Wayne knockoff which is what a lot of these reboot pitches were said to be offering. Personally, I'm not interested in seeing Superman sitting in a darkened Fortress of Solitude brooding as if it were the Batcave, but that's just me.

On "Smallville", Clark's lies are done to protect the people he cares for. Even for those who know (Chloe, Green Arrow, etc.) he's not truthful with those he loves, he is still seen as being a boy scout. He's not portrayed as an "angry God", which is where some in WB kind of want the new movie(s) to explore. Basically, Batman with super powers.

With Clark Kent (very) likely to appear in the upcoming "Green Lantern" movie, do not be surprised if WB uses the next Superman flick to feature at least one superhero cameo.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

My hand is raised too.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
I hope, if Singer gets to make his sequel (and I very much hope he does) and Ottman gets to do the score, he makes it more his own than he did with 'Returns'. It was an excellent score, but it didn't feel like a John Ottman score (or a John Williams one, for that matter). If you compare it to X2, it sounds extremely different. I hope he's going to leave the Williams themes alone, and will try to write his own themes for the characters. Variations, or something.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I loved that Ottman used John's score and hope he does so again. At times it gave me goosbumps like the opening credits and the shot where Supes is lifting the land mass up out of the water and they do that rapid push-in with rocks falling away revealing him underneath almost straining to lift it.

Many people didn't like that shot because he was straining a little but I love it because for one there was Kryptonite in it and two, to my knowledge, Supes has never lifted anything as large and as heavy before. It was his greatest feat of strength and it drove the nerd in me nuts lol.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
I think it had more to do that it was made of Kryptonite than the weight of it. He stops a plane at the beginning as well, that must be heavy too
And I really liked the score, I just think it's too much of a mix between both. And Ottman was copying Williams as well sometimes. He shouldn't do that, he should just make the score his own. Adapt themes, instead of changing your style.
Or maybe he's just growing up as a composer, that could very well be it. Let's see what Valkyrie brings us.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
As it should; they're completely different creations. I contacted Ottman once, praising the romanticism of the Superman Returns score, and this is what he wrote me back:
...Yeah, it is a pretty romantic movie, despite the action - which I als tried to do in a romantic way as well. Thanks for noticing!

John Ottman
Every Superman score should be a little bit romantic, and (in my opinion) every Superman film score should at least work off the following bare-bones fanfare:

even if the film doesn't feature the full march over the credits.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

I took that into consideration as well, but a plane poses no challenge to Supes in comparison to lifting and entire continent out of the sea and taking into space.

Maybe someone more familliar with the comics than myself can confirm, has he ever lifted anything as large and as heavy?

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
There's actually a clue about how Superman was able to lift the island (island, not "continent" -- let's be real) away. We see in the film that he charges up with the solar power that makes him strong, by flying above the clouds, bathing in the sun, and clenching his fists to show he's primed. And so, as far as the film goes we can recognize that he's as primed as ever to do this heavy lifting.

But there's an action figure that gives another clue about how they considered it possible for him to use the sun's power: There is an action figure that includes a piece of the sun, a ball of fusion. The packaging illustrates him flying with this piece of the sun in his hands in front of him, like a basketball.

Perhaps an early script (early, as in when production of the action figures began during pre-production of the film) Superman did more than charge up in the sunlight. Perhaps he flew into the sun, grabbed a piece of it, and kept it with him for energy (until it fizzled out, and then the story as we know it continues, with him risking his life). Just a perhaps. Not 100% sure, since sometimes they make action figures with no bearing on the films at all (Batman with Scubadiving Stealth Outfit, for example).

But it makes me wonder. Clearly they always intended that he got strength by charging up in the sunlight, but they seem to have had different ideas about how he'd get the most out of that sunlight.

About the plane, the plane was more difficult because it was fragile.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

Yes, I guess you're right. They're both very different films in their execution.
In any way, now I really want to see this film again
. It's still great.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
I'm curious to see if we get an announcement in early 2009 about this.

Singer's Valkyrie seems to be doing well at the box office (and in the eyes of the general public) ... I wonder if WB is interested in moving forward with the sequel now.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"About the plane, the plane was more difficult because it was fragile."

I love that scene. And I agree all Superman movies should feature that score. Williams work on that movie is prob my all time fav film score.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Scoop: Who Will Be The Next Supervillain? - Movie News - Latest Movie Reviews and trailers

From the Latino Review site

El Mayimbe here...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

TO THE LATINOS - FELIZ DIA DE LOS REYES!

Anyway, so what is REALLY going on with Superman?

Here is what I was able to find out...

According to my sources, the WB is actively hearing takes from writers for a new SUPERMAN movie. WB is committed to re-making SUPERMAN into an interesting franchise.

At the moment, the execs haven't heard anything they like yet but the kicker is that WB wants a NEW VILLAIN from Superman's Rogues Gallery to be the main antagonist...NOT LEX LUTHOR! Writers have been told to come in to the studio to pitch a story with a new villain but again, the WB hasn't bit on anything they heard yet.

In fact, Luthor is going to take a back seat. Whether he is altogether out or reduced to a contagonist character in the new script remains to be seen.

Personally, I think this is the way to go. Worked at first for Batman back in 2005, why not Supes?

Now I know that goes contrary to what Kevin Spacey said a couple of weeks ago, but I'm just relaying what I'm told...

So could we be seeing BRAINIAC, DARKSEID, DOOMSDAY, or even ZOD battling Supes on the big screen in the near future?

Pete-D

Screenwriter

I think it may be smart for Warner Bros. to take their time here and listen to a variety of pitches/takes on the property before investing in one.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I'm not wild about Brainiac he just a different version of Luther as far as I'm concerned. I want a Villain that can go toe to toe with Superman. Like a Mon El, Bizarro or even introduce Capt. Marvel. Or create a new Strongman Villain.

Mr. Film

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Keegan

I partially agree with you. Superman Returns was a good comic book movie but I wouldn't have a problem nameing some better ones. And I'm all for a Superman reboot, however I would be less excited if they decide to not go with Routh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks