What's new

Superman II, III, IV: Where Are the BD's? (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Brandon, thanks for the insight on Star Trek The Motion Picture Directors Cut Edition.

Did David Fein give you any indication or know anything about a Hi Definition effort for The Directors Cut of Star Trek TMP? I guess they need the go ahead and funds to re-render the effects and to reintegrate the footage. I am assuming his company still has the materials, unless Paramount own all that material. In which case, someone else could be doing it.

Sorry for the digression!

On Superman, I am getting the sense that Warner may not release a BD box set any time soon. Based on earlier posts, the speculation is it may not be an economically sound venture as the sales aren't there compared to the Batman franchise?

I'm tempted to pick-up the Superman TMP and Donner cut BD's.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I don't give a flying monkeys how much Warners spent releasing this fan edit on to the market, it doesn't excuse the fact the original theatrical version, the version most people were familiar with, isn't on Blu-ray, they simply fumbled the ball.

Originally Posted by David Deeb /forum/thread/298665/superman-ii-iii-iv-where-are-the-bd-s/30#post_3671319

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Nelson Au

Brandon, thanks for the insight on Star Trek The Motion Picture Directors Cut Edition.

Did David Fein give you any indication or know anything about a Hi Definition effort for The Directors Cut of Star Trek TMP? I guess they need the go ahead and funds to re-render the effects and to reintegrate the footage. I am assuming his company still has the materials, unless Paramount own all that material. In which case, someone else could be doing it.
At the time of our conversation (back around October '09 I believe) he implied Paramount had yet to discuss with him the bringing of the DE of ST:TMP to HD. But the main focus of our conversation was what had happened back when they originally did it. From how he described it Paramount was essentially gonna scrap the whole idea and gave him a ridiculously low budget number. His impression was that it was so low as to be intended to convince him to no longer fight for it, but he countered with telling them he could still do it - in Standard Def.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Steve Christou

I don't give a flying monkeys how much Warners spent releasing this fan edit on to the market, it doesn't excuse the fact the original theatrical version, the version most people were familiar with, isn't on Blu-ray, they simply fumbled the ball.
Well, my point is that these two factors - the Donner Cut being on Blu and the theatrical not being on Blu - are two separate issues. There were a LOT of catalog releases back in 2006 that didn't make it to Blu because the format was brand new. The theatrical Superman II was one of them.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Brandon, so we have David to thank for at least getting the DE of Star Trek completed, even though it was only Standard Def. Too bad Paramount at the time hadn't the interest in going all the way.

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
Brandon, you hit it on the head. Most Superman fans are more familiar with the Lynch version. I think that's why I have such fond memories of the Superman 2 movie. Whether these movies are good or bad isn't the debate. It's whether these movies should be released. I just think all of the movies that Chrispher Reeves made should be preserved for future generations.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by kemcha

Brandon, you hit it on the head. Most Superman fans are more familiar with the Lynch version. I think that's why I have such fond memories of the Superman 2 movie. Whether these movies are good or bad isn't the debate. It's whether these movies should be released. I just think all of the movies that Chrispher Reeves made should be preserved for future generations.
I think you mean Lester?

Doug

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by kemcha /forum/thread/298665/superman-ii-iii-iv-where-are-the-bd-s/60#post_3671692

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Yeah who is this Chrispher Reeves person anyway???

I shouldn't make fun, I'm dyslexic and can't spell to save my life.

Doug

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I shouldn't make fun, I'm dyslexic and can't spell to save my life.

That may be, but you're also not trying to dress up a run-of-the-mill request for a film release with pieties about honoring an actor's memory.

Now, while many may condemn these three movies, I think Warner Brothers should release them if nothing else than to preserve these classic films that featured "Christopher Reeves." To dismiss these films from the Blu-ray format would be a great disservice to the memory of Christopher reeves, who passed away some years ago after the horse riding accident that paralyzed him for life.

Originally Posted by Jesse Blacklow

Oh, please. Not even Reeve agreed with this kind of mopey nonsense, and playing on his injury in such a crass fashion would have pissed him off. In any event, Reeve said multiple times (including in his autobiography) that he thought Superman III was an insult to Pryor, himself, the fans, the character, and the mythology. He also said that even with his input, he knew Superman IV was going to be terrible and that he pretty much signed on entirely because of his anti-nuke stance. It's highly doubtful he cared for the release of either or both on any home video format.

Originally Posted by Michael Reuben

If one wants to honor the film work of Christopher Reeve (there's no "s"), I can think of several more deserving (and probably more popular films) to release on Blu-ray. Off the top of my head:

Michael, I'm not disagreeing that there are probably better films out there that Reeves has done, I'm merely saying that Warner Brothers should, at the very least, make these films available to Blu-ray because I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of fans who would buy them. I know I would.

And the kicker:

Personally, I never did like the third or fourth movie, I actually enjoyed the first movie and the second movie (the original theatrical version) better but I do think that they really need to be released. I'm sure that there are many movie fans who would buy all four movies on Blu-ray.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by Steve Christou

What about the rumour that he was related to 50's Superman George Reeve?

The guy in Hollywoodland played by Ben Efflack?

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
The original release of the first two films on bluray just seemed kind of botched to me. It made no sense. I remember the big deal about the Superman box and the possibility of all the films in hi-def in really classy, spec-edition packages.

Then all we got was the extended cut of the first movie and the donner cut of the second, no third and fourth films at all and no box set. And the coverart was terrible. I'm not suprised they didn't sell well as they just looked chintzy and cheap.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
To think these films are never going to be done on BD is absurd. Of course they will. Just give it time.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm sure it's safe to say these films well never come out on blu ray around the time of the new Superman film.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

I just think all of the movies that Chrispher Reeves made should be preserved for future generations.
It's not like they're torching the negatives. They'll be around for future generations in some form or another. Releasing a movie is not a moral imperative. It's a business decision. These movies will show up on Blu-Ray when Warners thinks they can make a few bucks off of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks