What's new

Supeman Doomsday: 9/18/07 release on DVD (1 Viewer)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Watching it before dinner and I have to admit, some of the scenes of death is pretty obvious. MY son won't be watching it. But so far I'm enjoying it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I watched this last night. I thought it was really well done, especially the adult emotions from Lois and Mrs. Kent. Liked that they showed Lois and Superman having an adult relationship - which was a necessary plot point for her reaction.

I thought the parts with the clone
went on too long though, and who designed Lex Luthor to look like Michael Stipe?

What was with the hard cheek lines in Superman's face? Or were those bags under his eyes to signify age?

Here's hoping the Warner Premiere series remains successful. It would be great to see an outlet for animation that isn't either kiddie fare or adult humor.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
A lot of the character designs used in this DTV were pretty bad. That cheekbone thing was the worst. It made Supes look like a man in his fifties, and the animators drew it the same from almost every angle. On the other hand, "Braniac Attacks" used superior character designs but constantly insulted the viewer's intelligence. I thought "Doomsday" was pretty good, far superior to any of the Marvel Universe DTVs, and based on the promotional featurette for "Justice League:New Frontier", it looks like that one could be even better.

Regards,

bradleybruns

Auditioning
Real Name
Bradley
I watched this last Friday night. The "violence" level of the fight sequence seemed on par with Justice League (think War World). However there were other "mature" elements that exceeded Justice League:

-Lois wrapped in a towel at the Fortress of Solitude
-Doomsday killing soldiers by crushing their skulls
-Other graphic Doomsday murders (quick and obscured though)
-One character pulls out a gun and kills another at point blank range. Not self-defense. The actual shooting and spatter are obscured by a window, but still quite obvious and intense.
-Several dozen "human looking" clones are floating (growing) in fluid tanks. These tanks are subsequently destroyed, leaving the ruined bodies strewn about. This could be very disturbing for kids.

My five year old son won't see Justice League cartoons for many years. I can't say that there is enough redeeming value in Superman-Doomsday for him to watch it under my roof, ever. Heck, I finally found a superhero video I approved for him: Scooby Doo Meets Batman and Robin. (1972) Of course it totally ridiculous and nearly unwatchable, but it's a laugh riot.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Watched the rest of it on Saturday and I must say I was really impressed with the movie. Definetly not for the basic 6 to 8 year old child. Great scenes especially the fight scene with Doomsday. But a couple of observations:
That was my gripe about the artwork also, but all in all I'll probably watch it again during the weekend. What get's me is that on the t.v. series The Batman, this weekend they used the original Superman voice and the orignal Lex Luthor voice. Superman Doomsday Lex wasn't to bad though as to voice and he was quite ruthless.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Finally checked this out (I must be a bad parent, because my 3.5 year old watched this - but had I seen it first, I don't think I would have let him).

It lived "up" to the rating (mostly in unsettling violence). I thought it was quite well done. I did not like the character redesigns and I prefer the old voices, especially Luthor's. But it was a well-done tale, with some excellent action sequences. JLU had really been setting the bar high on animated action, but this one goes to the next level.

The preview of The New Frontier was exceptional. I have very high hopes for that one. Great voice cast as well.

I agree they could make these PG with little effort. I kind of wish they would.

Still, if you are a DCAU fan, this is well worth checking out.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I downloaded the HD version of this via XBox and it looked and sounded excellent. The rating is appropriate due to the violence and blood. There were some interesting parrellels to the comic story. I don't think I will buy the eventual HD version though unless it is reasonably priced and loaded with copious amounts of extras. I would recommend this as a rental first rather than a blind buy since people's expectation's of a Superman yarn vary quite a bit based on all I've read here and in other threads.

I look forward very much to the New Frontier JLA which will hark back to the days of my intense comic reading. It will be good to see HawkMAN, Hal Jordan and Barry Allen (along with the rest) together again.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
I think it could have been at least 20 - 30 minutes longer if they added the Justice League getting beaten by Doom just as in the comics. That's my only gripe. It seemed like Superman was the only superhero in this universe.

Fabien Renelli

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fabien Renelli
I agree with this. Otherwise I think it's an excellent movie, very intense and correctly paced. My favorite, just after Mask of the phantasm!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks