What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Maybe because our focus should be on her and not the lost horizon? And again look to the opening credits for your answer. As it was shot in the prior year maybe it was simply shot for 1:37 but projected diff to fit screens and the image opened up after the credits? But the credits are definitely composed for 1:37 as the full drawn images show. However an argument could be made for it either way IMO. Maybe it’s Lean’s preferred way?
The MT cannot be projected at 1.37, and then miraculously go wide-screen at production footage.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
The MT cannot be projected at 1.37, and then miraculously go wide-screen at production footage.
Understood. What I meant was if the credits were windowboxed into a wider image like the opening of The Girl Can’t Help It. But such a print looks like doesn’t exist so I still don’t understand why the opening credits of Summertime would be shot matted in that way when you can barely read them or appreciate the full artwork as drawn.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Hope for some great titles as the year winds down

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
That's fine, but you're not their only customer. I love "Classic Hollywood" as much as the next person, but I also love a lot of their "artsy fartsy picks". Variety is the spice of life.
I agree!

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I received this today as a birthday present (along with Kino’s Lion in Winter Blu-ray) and watched it for the first time tonight. There were definitely a bunch of shots that could have benefited from matting. But that aside, I really enjoyed the film, especially the cinematography and Hepburn’s exuberant performance.

Kenneth_C

Second Unit

Attachments

• Summertime 1955.png
    Summertime 1955.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 46

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
1657888679863.png

Oh noes. Katherine Hepburn stretched her arm slightly past the 1.66:1 safe area...

1657888880570.png

...for literally half a second.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
Thank you, that’s a pet peeve of mine when people misspell her first name - was one of hers, too. It happened during the credits of State of the Union I recall (per IMDb current credits are replacement for original ones, attached to prints after MGM distribution rights expired).

Last edited:

John Skoda

Second Unit
Understood. What I meant was if the credits were windowboxed into a wider image like the opening of The Girl Can’t Help It. But such a print looks like doesn’t exist so I still don’t understand why the opening credits of Summertime would be shot matted in that way when you can barely read them or appreciate the full artwork as drawn.
I have to think even many people who saw this in theaters in 1955 saw some of the credits lopped off the screen, right?

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I have to think even many people who saw this in theaters in 1955 saw some of the credits lopped off the screen, right?

I can't imagine that would be the case.

If UA really did insist on 1.85:1, it seems likely

You're assuming that we're seeing the full aperture in the current "full frame" (sic) transfer and that the area we're seeing today is the same exact area used to matte to 1.85 during its theatrical release. I'm in no way convinced of that.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I can't imagine that would be the case.

You're assuming that we're seeing the full aperture in the current "full frame" (sic) transfer and that the area we're seeing today is the same exact area used to matte to 1.85 during its theatrical release. I'm in no way convinced of that.
And I would agree. Also, never a good idea to post one frame from a movie as if that proved anything when there's action in the frame.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
is the actor that played the boy that befriends hepburn still alive maybe someone should ask him his memories on seeing the film

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
is the actor that played the boy that befriends hepburn still alive maybe someone should ask him his memories on seeing the film
A little research shows the boy to be Gaetano Autiero (b. 1941), whose last listed appearance was in 1956 in I Girovaghi (English title The Wanderers) starring Peter Ustinov. Buona fortuna tracking him down. But I’m certain his recollections would be fascinating.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson

In 1954, they would have been exposing 4-perf for open matte, not five like most post-1980s ones. If the Criterion is "inaccurate", it would be that their scan is showing less on the width than the height.

And that missing information would never have been visible in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks