What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
William Wyler is at his peak with this engrossing home invasion thriller, The Desperate Hours.

The Desperate Hours (1955)

Released: 12 Oct 1955
Rated: Approved
Runtime: 112 min

Director: William Wyler
Genre: Crime, Drama, Film-Noir

Cast: Humphrey Bogart, Fredric March, Arthur Kennedy
Writer(s): Joseph Hayes, Jay Dratler

Plot: Three escaped convicts move in on and terrorize a suburban household.

IMDB rating: 7.5
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: Paramount
Distributed By: Arrow
Video Resolution: 1080P/AVC

Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
Audio: English PCM 1.0 (Mono)

Subtitles: English SDH
Rating: Not Rated

Run...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Haven’t seen this film in a while, but I recall liking it and thinking it very intense so it will be good to revisit. It was also interesting to read that the Bogart role was originally played by the much younger Paul Newman in the original stage production.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I'm going to wait, this VistaVision film should be on 4k. Distributors justify releasing 4k soon after blu ray, I know the arguments but still think it's disingenuous.
Yes - I totally agree. This time, I've decided I'm going to wait it out. Although they are announcing it as a "Limited Edition", I've just purchased yet another Arrow title for the second time: Ringu, in 4K. That blu-ray was released in 2019. That's about the 10th Arrow blu-ray I've replaced with a 4K UHD from their same scan. These days Arrow can't blame publishing a subsequent 4K UHD release on the fact that they didn't have the option of releasing it as a 4K UHD when the blu-ray came out. This time they did.

I don't care if the blu-ray sells out and disappears, I simply won't keep paying double for the same scam - oops, I meant scan!

mackjay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
Great account and review! A Wyler masterpiece. He manages the mounting tension perfectly and the screenplay doesn't spare the feeling of terror...Wonderful characterizations, down to a visiting teacher in one scene (Beverly Garland!) Magnficent work from Frederic March as always, and great, nuanced Bogart plus strong supporters. Dewey Martin has always been underrated imho./ I just saw THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES again, and this film nearly equals it in greatness

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks