What's new
World Wide Stereo

Suggestions in an odd shaped room (1 Viewer)

zachdini

Auditioning
Real Name
Zach
Hello everyone,

This is my first post so please excuse me if I don't know 100% what I'm talking about.

I'm moving up to a room in the attic, so the ceilings create a very odd shape for the area that I plan on setting up my home theater. I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with weird ceilings before, and if they are going to create any problems for the sound that I would get. The actual room is pretty big, but the section that I designated for the home theater isn't too big, so I'm also wondering if anyone has any suggestions on any systems that I should get.

I've been looking at some 5.1 channel systems, but I'm not sure if it will be too much for the area, or if the ceilings will interfere with anything.

I know I'm being pretty vague and I'm asking pretty open ended questions, so if any more info is helpful, feel free to ask!

Zach

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Are you talking about your average, sloped ceiling like this? - http://www.showroom411.com/gallery/finished-attic-remodel/132

What is your budget on a 5.1 system?

zachdini

Auditioning
Real Name
Zach
Hmm, not exactly. More along the lines of this - http://decoration.home-lux.com/some-tips-on-fitting-attic/ - (the third picture), except the ceiling is lower and there are slopes from all four directions, at different angles. I know, it sounds crazy, and it is, but the attic wasn't renovated when the house was bought, so we had to work with what we had. Would it be easier if I took a picture of the space?

And after the renovation of the space, and being that I'm a college student with expenses, I'm looking more towards a starter system, around the $500 range, that I can hopefully upgrade once I get the money.

For example, I read great reviews about the Insignia 670w 5.1-Ch. system, which is in my price range. I figured I'd come ask people who know what they're talking about before I do anything.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That type of wall/roof may help the sound since there are fewer parallel surfaces.

$500 systems are rarely upgradable but that one may have some potential. The picture of the rear of the receiver is too small to read the details.

zachdini

Auditioning
Real Name
Zach
Oh okay, that's good to know. Do you think the sound from a 5.1 might get a little too overwhelming in a small space or would I remedy that by just keeping the volume on a low setting?

Thanks a lot!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's why they make a volume control. Also, buying quality speakers will allow you to listen longer and at a higher level without fatigue.

I have an average sized room and do 95% of my TV and movie watching in there. There is no fatigue at all. I can turn it up to overwhelming levels but that is for showing off for visitors and when I'm watching an action movie by myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FFMichael
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale