What's new
World Wide Stereo

suddenly no sound from SVS sub (1 Viewer)

DerekCV

Stunt Coordinator
I was watching a movie last night and there was no sound coming from my sub, it worked just the other day and I didn't change anything in the settings. My amp has power and I checked my receiver and it doesn't appear that there are any setting on there that is limiting my LFE output... But it appears that my sub isn't receiving a signal from the receiver.

How can i trouble shoot this situation? I Don't have an RCA cable long enough to go from my receiver to my sub, so I can't see if the wire is bad, I'm going to see if i can hook something else up to my sub to try and isolate parts in the chain, I just don't know what i have to do that.

Any advise you can offer would be greatly appricated.

Thanks

728x90

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Disconnect the sub's RCA cable from the back of the receiver, turn the volume of the sub down, then touch your finger to both contacts of the cable. There should be a hum. If there is, no signal is coming from the receiver. If there isn't, the problem is upstream and you should plug another RCA cable into the sub (it doesn't need to reach the receiver) and do the process again. If you get a hum then, the original cable is the problem, if not, it is most likely the sub's amp.

DerekCV

Stunt Coordinator
OK so let me just see if I did this right. I just have a mono cable coming out of the receiver going to the sub, but when i unplug it there no noise, no pop, no hum, nothing. So then I took a stereo RCA cable and to the L and R of the sub with the sub on and touch the opposite L and R ends together, and I don't get anything, no hum or anything at any volume. So that means that the amp on my $1,000+ sub is shot after 9 months of light usage?

Please help...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, sounds like the amp died. Let's move on to the really obvious. Are you getting a red or green light on the amp? Is it turned on? I'm not trying to be insulting, but stranger things have happened.

FWIW, things die. The sub is still under warranty and I'm certain SVS will take care of you.

DerekCV

Stunt Coordinator
I have the amp on "auto on" and the LED light is red. And when i turn my receiver on the light turn green. So the amp knows that it is getting a signal, it isn't getting out...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, once again, don't be insulted, I am just trying to cover every base...

Where is the volume level on the sub? Just make sure it didn't get inadvertantly turned all the way down. Other than that, there is nothing I can think of. If it isn't something really obvious and annoying, it sounds like the amp died. If so, SVS will take care of it. Just give them a call.

BTW, if it was hit hard, like by a power surge or something, it may be the driver is blown. Regardless, it is something you probably need to contact SVS about.

DerekCV

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your help. The gain is around the 4th mark and I have tried adjusting it. I guess I will give SVS a call. Thanks.

DerekCV

Stunt Coordinator
I had a bad sub, SVS shipped me new ones and now I just need to send them back...

Should I do anything to break them in?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just play them. During normal play, the spider and surround will loosen up a little. Probably not enough for you to even notice a change in the sound.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kandids222
Recent bookmarks