What's new

Subwoofer cable (1 Viewer)

Rex.G

Stunt Coordinator
I recently moved and realized i never upgraded my subwoofer cable. I have been using the cheezy one that came with the subwoofer. I remember thinking that i needed to replace it when I was hooking it up at first, but never got around to it. So my question is, do i really need to spend money on a cable? I have not noticed any lack of performance. so what do you think?

set up:
Toshiba 40h80 Monitor
Toshiba SD3750 DVD
Pioneer VSX-D409 Receiver 5.1 DD & DTS
Bic Venturi DV52si Mains and surrounds
Bic Venturi DV53CLR Center
Sony SA-WM500 Sub

Thanks
Peter

Topher

Stunt Coordinator
I say just get a good peice of coax and slap some f-rca adapters on it. Cheap and good. Plus, as Vince has mentioned before the subwoofer cable is the one that has the least demands in terms of signal. Any good coax rca cable will be perfect, just make sure the connections at both ends are really really secure. More problems with the sub cable come from the ends not being tight on the connectors of the sub and the receiver.

brucek

Second Unit

While I agree the subwoofer cable doesn't have a lot of demands placed on it, I'm not a big fan of the F-to-RCA form of termination.

The F connector has as its center pin the solid center conductor of the coax cable itself. This exposed wire can oxidize and usually does, producing an insulator in the form of cupric oxide.

The RCA to F adapter generally cleans the wire when screwed on, but it's not even close to the quality of a 'crimp'. In time the joint will become a source of resistance.

I'd rather a cheap pack-in for a sub cable than use the RCA to F adapter method.. :thumbsdown:

brucek

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Try a decent subwoofer cable for yourself. You may be surprised at just how much a good cable (and connectors) can effect the subs performance.
Belden's 89259 with decent connectors is a good place to start for not that much money. Belden's 1506a and 1695a are also worth a try.
Yes you can use any old coax cable with rca/F adapters but performance wise you get exactly what you paid for!

EddyObregon

Stunt Coordinator
i use a m series from onster and its pretty damn good i had old rcas on them and it was a 90 percent difference in quality

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks