What's new

Studio 20 as center channel (1 Viewer)

JamesTay

Auditioning
I currently have a pair of paradigm studio 20's as my mains and atoms as my rears that I am running with a yamaha 2400 receiver. I will be living in an apartment for the next four years and I have been considering buying a studio 20 for my center instead of the CC470. The CC470 seems a little overkill since I only have studio 20's and I can save about $150 if I buy a studio 20. Is this a viable option? The money isn't too important, but I would like to save the space and I just feel like the cc470 isn't really necessary. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
James

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
it's usually recommended to have the same speakers all around. But the question then becomes, how are you going to buy just one...

Ben Stern

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, the Studio 20 would be the ideal center speaker with your set-up. I had a set-up like that with 5 Studio 40's(v2)until recently, but the G.F. said either the middle speaker goes or she does. :frowning: I sold my all 40's and now have 2 pair of Studio 20's(V3)and a CC-470. The only reason I didn't get a third Studio 20 for the front was simply because they're only sold in pairs.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
My 20's were sold individually and in seperate boxes.

If you have any sort of CRT TV you will need to make sure it is shielded.

The main problem with a bookshelf as a center speakers is placement. Bookshelf speakers are meant to be used vertically. If you place it on its side you may not get an even response across the room. But if you put the bookshelf upright, the tweeter will probably be very high. You ideally want the tweeter at ear level and at the same height as the mains. That is why most centers use the MTM layout.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The other benefit of the additional drivers in a MTM design is a slight increase in senstivity and somewhat wider dispersion. Other than that, there's no reason why you couldn't use a single 20 for a center, besides consideration for what Brian mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks