What's new

Starting on Square One (1 Viewer)

IT Architect

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack Toering
I'm starting on square one. I'm an IT Architect. Entertainment is not even a duck in my pond. However, we've have had cable internet since Al Gore invented the internet, and CompuServe before that. Recently, Comcast made us a Triple Play deal where they are supplying Internet, phone, and TV for about $20 less than we are paying for just phone and internet, so now we have more than basic cable. We used to pick up the important news from FoxNews.com but now we can watch it. The only equipment we have is an old VCR/DVD, and a phosphor TV set that people dumped on us because they didn't want to throw it away. We use those for the little kids. The problem is the Comcast supplied Pace RNG110 doesn't have a COAX output, and by using the RCAs, I end up with no compatible tuner. I have it working on an extra DTA they sent because it has a COAX in and out and I can use the TV tuner that away. The problem with that is there is no guide or on demand without the main box because that is the only one with a remote to support them. I can probably get a different box from Comcast, with coax in and out like the DTAs. However, everything is going 16:9, including our computers, and it's not difficult to spend more time and money patching old junk together than to buy new. So before I swap out the main box they gave us, I decided to bounce this off people who know way more about this than I do Thoughts: - We have a nice old real wood "entertainment center" with an opening 27 7/8" wide and 24 3/4" high for the TV.. It looks like a 27" is about all that will fit in there. If that wrecks the plan, I can do something else. - Recommendation for a reliable VCR w/VHS and DVD, and maybe Blu-Ray player for the kids - I'll probably want to copy some of the kids tapes to DVD because they get chewed up by the VHS VCR, and you can't replace them for love or money, so I'm guessing I'll end up needing a Stabilizer of some kind to strip the copyright blocking off to get them to DVD or Blu-Ray. - I have the top of the line Dell XPS 17 3D computer with TV tuner that can burn anything that I use for client visits. In our household, the technology is in the computers. - Doesn't make sense to spend much on something you seldom use. I'm the most technical person most people will ever meet, but in the home entertainment area, there are no doubt people here that could put together a better plan in 5 minutes than I could in a year. That's what I'm hoping to pick up.. Thanks!

IT Architect

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack Toering
mccambley said:
The old wood cabinet has to go so you can fit at least a 42" plasma set there.
Thank you for your frankness. That would be big for the distance people will be from it, but I have noticed that 42" is as standard as a 15" tire, and there aren't many good choices below 32".
mccambley said:
Get a Sony DVD/VCR ans a separate Blu-ray player.
That's something I can use.
mccambley said:
The rest I don't know what to say. The quality of a copied tape to DVD is so bad it is not worth it , buy the DVD.
The ones that are available in DVD we already have. I do know of some people who have had great success. I'm hoping to be one of them. Thanks Tons! for you thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks