What's new

Starting a new HT and need a lot of Help (1 Viewer)

ScottBRA

Grip
Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:14 pm Post subject: Just STarting - New HT --- HELP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got the go ahead to put a HT in my new house. The only room that I can use is the basement. I have some problems, but it is what it is and I see from other posts that people here really know there stuff. The basement will not be 100% theter. Half of the room will be kept as a gym (that was the deal my wife made). The room already had surround sound from prior owner and a built in that held a TV, I will keep the sytem on the same wall. The room is 16'6" wide in total, BUT I can only use 9'3" which is where there is a pole from floor to ceiling. Total length is 23 feet (the pole is 11'6" from the front of the room). In other words, I can use the full 23" in length, but the width is limited to the 9'3" because the pole will block view no matter where seats are. My ceiling is low, only 6'8". I really want a few things and need some help on how to do it:

- I am planning on getting 2 rows of berkline or comparable seat, placed somewhere????
- I am thinking of getting the X1 projector, thoughts?
- I am thinking of getting a screen that pulls up from floor with the black on bottom, my thinking here is tht a pull down from top will not fully cover the eiting TV which I plan to leave there, thoughts??
- Sound system - Not touching equipment for now. Back wall has 2 speakers, and front has 2. Subwoofer in front. I will add one for the front.
- I plan to use a riser for the back row, I was thinking 8 inches??
-Does th TV that projector wors of matter? I am a bit confused on this one. DOes projector plug into TV, Cable, or Surround sound?

Thanks for any help. I am quite excited to get this started.

ScottBRA

Grip
Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:14 pm Post subject: Just STarting - New HT --- HELP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got the go ahead to put a HT in my new house. The only room that I can use is the basement. I have some problems, but it is what it is and I see from other posts that people here really know there stuff. The basement will not be 100% theter. Half of the room will be kept as a gym (that was the deal my wife made). The room already had surround sound from prior owner and a built in that held a TV, I will keep the sytem on the same wall. The room is 16'6" wide in total, BUT I can only use 9'3" which is where there is a pole from floor to ceiling. Total length is 23 feet (the pole is 11'6" from the front of the room). In other words, I can use the full 23" in length, but the width is limited to the 9'3" because the pole will block view no matter where seats are. My ceiling is low, only 6'8". I really want a few things and need some help on how to do it:

- I am planning on getting 2 rows of berkline or comparable seat, placed somewhere????
- I am thinking of getting the X1 projector, thoughts?
- I am thinking of getting a screen that pulls up from floor with the black on bottom, my thinking here is tht a pull down from top will not fully cover the eiting TV which I plan to leave there, thoughts??
- Sound system - Not touching equipment for now. Back wall has 2 speakers, and front has 2. Subwoofer in front. I will add one for the front.
- I plan to use a riser for the back row, I was thinking 8 inches??
-Does th TV that projector wors of matter? I am a bit confused on this one. DOes projector plug into TV, Cable, or Surround sound?

Thanks for any help. I am quite excited to get this started.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
so how long will you be expecting the ht to be.
how much spce will the gym be using up.

23 feet is a nice length for a ht but that gym?

no were else to put it?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
so how long will you be expecting the ht to be.
how much spce will the gym be using up.

23 feet is a nice length for a ht but that gym?

no were else to put it?

ScottBRA

Grip
Sorry for confusion.

I can use the Full 23 ft for the HT. I am putting the Gym equipment on the other side of the pole (in the area that is also 23 ft long but only 7 ft wide (it will work).

ScottBRA

Grip
Sorry for confusion.

I can use the Full 23 ft for the HT. I am putting the Gym equipment on the other side of the pole (in the area that is also 23 ft long but only 7 ft wide (it will work).

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
An 8 inch platform probably won't be enough to completely clear heads, plus by the time you add an inch for carpet and pad, you have a ceiling under 6ft. I know a lot of people in the 6 ft-6-3 range. It could also be disorienting to stand up and have a near miss with the ceiling. For people under 6ft, it will still seem claustrophobic. Not to mention you are talking about using a projector. That will stick down at least 8 inches from the ceiling. What about using a plasma or DLP RP TV as your display? You have just enough room for one with a pair of speakers on either side. If you went with a proj/screen you would probably have to go with in-wall speakers located under the screen, or a perf screen ($$$) with the speakers behind. I just don't think you can really do what you are thinking with the size space you have to work with. That doesn't mean you can't have a great theater, I just think you may need to step back and re-think what is possible. Someone else here may have some other ideas on how to make it work. Anyone?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
An 8 inch platform probably won't be enough to completely clear heads, plus by the time you add an inch for carpet and pad, you have a ceiling under 6ft. I know a lot of people in the 6 ft-6-3 range. It could also be disorienting to stand up and have a near miss with the ceiling. For people under 6ft, it will still seem claustrophobic. Not to mention you are talking about using a projector. That will stick down at least 8 inches from the ceiling. What about using a plasma or DLP RP TV as your display? You have just enough room for one with a pair of speakers on either side. If you went with a proj/screen you would probably have to go with in-wall speakers located under the screen, or a perf screen ($$$) with the speakers behind. I just don't think you can really do what you are thinking with the size space you have to work with. That doesn't mean you can't have a great theater, I just think you may need to step back and re-think what is possible. Someone else here may have some other ideas on how to make it work. Anyone?

ScottBRA

Grip
Thanks, I hear what you are saying, but am hoping some people have ideas for doing this with a projector. The other screens just wont give me the effect I want. The wall where the screen will be, actually backs into a storage area, so the speakers will be inside the wall (actually already there from prior owner). The back speakers are also recessed into the wall. Could the projector be on a stand instead of hanging from the ceiling? Would that make it any better? I defintely understand your point about the ceiling and claustraphobia. Maybe I should take a chair and try and simulate the hright with some books or something to see how it feels and looks?

ScottBRA

Grip
Thanks, I hear what you are saying, but am hoping some people have ideas for doing this with a projector. The other screens just wont give me the effect I want. The wall where the screen will be, actually backs into a storage area, so the speakers will be inside the wall (actually already there from prior owner). The back speakers are also recessed into the wall. Could the projector be on a stand instead of hanging from the ceiling? Would that make it any better? I defintely understand your point about the ceiling and claustraphobia. Maybe I should take a chair and try and simulate the hright with some books or something to see how it feels and looks?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Simulating the height would be a great idea to see if the riser will work. If you wanted to use a projector, but didn't want it on the ceiling you could also use a rear projector screen and mirror to mount the projector in the closet. For less money you could also you could cut a hole in the storage wall and recess a big screen into the room to give the appearence of a screen.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Simulating the height would be a great idea to see if the riser will work. If you wanted to use a projector, but didn't want it on the ceiling you could also use a rear projector screen and mirror to mount the projector in the closet. For less money you could also you could cut a hole in the storage wall and recess a big screen into the room to give the appearence of a screen.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Scott:

You could also try putting the front projection unit on a table between a couple of the chairs you have in the front row. Granted this will be a problem if people are getting up and running in front of the projector otherwise it will be good.

I would wait and get the Infocus 4805 projector that is just starting to hit the streets. It goes for around $1,400 put with a faster color wheel with more segments and optimized for the HT market it should be a great improvement over the X1. The reviews on the unit have been great so far from those that have had the opportunity to check it out.

I had a basement HT years ago that only had 7 foot ceilings and I put my CRT projector on a table on the floor and that worked out the best. With your ceiling height I wouldn't mess with trying to hang your projector.

Parker

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Scott:

You could also try putting the front projection unit on a table between a couple of the chairs you have in the front row. Granted this will be a problem if people are getting up and running in front of the projector otherwise it will be good.

I would wait and get the Infocus 4805 projector that is just starting to hit the streets. It goes for around $1,400 put with a faster color wheel with more segments and optimized for the HT market it should be a great improvement over the X1. The reviews on the unit have been great so far from those that have had the opportunity to check it out.

I had a basement HT years ago that only had 7 foot ceilings and I put my CRT projector on a table on the floor and that worked out the best. With your ceiling height I wouldn't mess with trying to hang your projector.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks