What's new

Stargate Atlantis Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info Arild. I guess we can't blame her for trying to milk that cow as much as possible, right? :D

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
no andres,

she signed a contract for SG-1 season11 w/option of s4 if SG-1's season10 was the final season. studio decided to exercise that option.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
All the better. I like her character very much and I'll be happy to see her around the Stargate world a bit longer.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Wondering aloud ... do they even know where the show is going?

Is there a plan? A direction?

With SG-1 ... there was always a loose plan which flowed nicely ...

The show seems to be all over the place ...

I truly hope they figure out what direction to go in soon ...

Regards

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I would imagine that with SG-1 winding down SGA will get a better focus than it has this past year. A similar thing happened with the Buffy spin-off show, Angel. As Buffy came closer to the end and the Angel writers were given more leeway to move the show in other directions and the story archs got better for it. At least that's my opinion. :)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
michael, what direction was SG-1 heading? i don't think SG-1 has plot laid out as nicely as BSG or Lost, etc. neither does SGA. they both are very similar in how they approach things.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Well, SG-1's main plot used to be defeating the G'oaul and now the Ori. SGA's main plot is...explore the city and its galaxy? Oh, and defeating the Wraith I guess.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The overall wraith threat has all but gone away ... now the threats come from replicators ...

They also seem to like to write out characters because they don't know how to write for them. (Will I stop watching? No ... I still enjoy it ... but it seems there is less of a direction than SG1. There was apophis ... then sokar ... then annubis ... with bits here and there about making allies ... and the lego replicators and now the ori.)

Hopefully they find their legs. DS9 didn't find its legs until season 3 ... once they went to war.

Regards

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

It may not have been laid out as nicely as DS9 or BSG, but I thought the first 8 years of SG-1 flowed together fairly well. I would say that during that period at least 15 episodes per season advanced the general plot line in some fashion. That's pretty darn good continuity!

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

I find that statement ironic given that you think the second half of SG1 (seasons 6-10) are better than the first half (1-5). SG1 started off very strong with the Go'uld storyline but started to loose steam once moving to Sci-Fi, and completely losing its way during the final 2 seasons.

Another reason I find it ironic is you don't like the idea of the upcoming leadership change considering that it can be argued that DS9 started to hit its peak once Worf moved over from TNG.

And while I acknowledge that everyone's entitled to their opinions, I tire of the constant fawning of BSG and lauding it superior outside of its own thread. Stargate and BSG are apples and oranges - can't really compare them. BSG is a well-crafted show but I find Stargate, both SG1 and Atlantis, more entertaining. I like hope in my shows, and BSG has little to none.

Besides, if you wanted to point out a tighly-woven plot you need only look to Babylon 5. It could get just as dark as BSG, but could be oh-so much more.

(and just as a final dig :), Heroes this season completely blew BSG out of the water in terms of quality and story)

I will be interested to see where Atlantis goes next season. I'm hoping that the changes, plus more time to focus, will improve storytelling and make it a 'can't miss' type of show that SG1 used to be. It's going to be hard given that the Stargate universe has traversed so far all ready, but I'll give it a shot.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
there is no irony because i still think s6-10 is much stronger than s1-5 of SG-1 but for SGA, season1+2 were very strong but s3 wasn't so hot. my simple statement was that it is how the creators of stargate TV franchise have framed both series. it's always been about entertainment/adventure more so than anything serious, hence my statement. i don't get why it would be "ironic" in any sense of the word.

i think stargate's plotting for both series just veers in and out. the creator's interviews in SD-DVD's have made it plain and clear that it's a huge universe and just like the russian in sopranos, sometimes you just don't get a full on answer/resolution. things go on. even after g'ould were defeated, there were leftovers like baal, diff. factions, etc. so it is with many of the different races throughout SG-1 (except for 1 ;). it's like the nanites, comes and goes. same with atlantis, wraith will always be a threat and perhaps won't ever be 100% defeated just like G'ould. it just weaves in and out.

secondly, i never stated i disliked the change in leadership i've always thought that weir was terrible. they should have kept the blond that played the ORIGINAL Dr. weir. the brunette can't act for jack. they gave her a few standalone episodes like the asylum/alt. reality episode that just slowed the whole thing down and fell face flat. even smallvile's rendition of that was better. so actually i like the change. the reason why i disliked carter coming over is cause we've seen her for 10 years straight, even dr. daniel jackson took a year off and sometimes we'd see less of tealc or other characters but i just want to see SGA only or new faces. i realize the chemistry thing between rodney and carter could be interesting... but i hate mixing SGA+SG1 crew. plus i wonder how they'll work/tie in the movies, which will be out while SGA is in production. hrm... anyways. there is no irony there either. plus, i haven't seen DS9 nor was it me that made the comment about DS9. i find it ironic that you find this ironic since ironically, there is no irony whatsover.

you are right, BSG+Stargate are just diff. breeds of SF show and we should all enjoy them the same, etc. but still, there's so much potential for stargate universe to be much more than a "filler" series, the entire series becomes the filler. there are elements in there that can make for great drama and higher tension, but they just never veer down that path, they chose to keep it even-kiltered. BSG dares to push the envelope and definitely deserves all the acolodates it deserves but i agree heroes this year blew that away quickly, but not by much. they are both still intensely HUMAN dramas that modern trek series seems to have lost.

for me, stargate was never a can't miss series. i can always miss it, but i never did. it's my obsessive compulsive thing. i've seen every ep of sg1+sga so far. but if i had a choice and wasn't so obsessive compulsive, i would miss this on purpose and would stop tuning in. it's that damned disease!!! lol.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member

I don't remember the episode name and/or number, but there was an episode where Jack formed a bond with a young boy. I don't remember much else about the episode except thinking at the time, "This is different." It is definitely one of my favorite SG-1 episodes, and maybe my favorite overall. It had a bit of weight to it.

If anyone remembers the episode name or number, let me know as I'd like to watch it again (I have the DVD's).

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member

I don't think that's the one, but thanks to your link, I was able to browse through descriptions of the other episodes. I think the episode in question is Learning Curve. The bad news is when I went to watch it to verify, I realized I can't find it anywhere. I hate it when that happens. I have no memory of loaning it out or anything. It'll show up, though, and now I have a post-it of which episode I want to watch again, so thanks.

Arild

Supporting Actor
The kid in 'Learning Curve' was a girl. I think you may be remembering 'Show and Tell' from season 2?

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

First, my apologies- I read Joseph's post about DS9 and incorrectly connected it with you. But I still think it's a good point - DS9 got stronger with Worf's addition. Without having seen season 4, it's too soon to say whether or not the change in leadership will be good for the show or not. I just hope the SG1 DVDs do well enough for MGM to continue them. As for SGA, hopefully with the primary focus shifting to them, it will spawn creative energy, but we'll have to see.

The problem I find with your argument about SGA could "be so much more" than a "filler" show is the basis - BSG. Again, BSG is fine for what it is and its fans have a right to enjoy it, but it should not be the end-all, be-all for sci-fi, in fact, most of the time I struggle to even call it sci-fi as it's more a "disaster" show set in space.

The reason I, and I suspect, many others like SGA, SG1 and the various other 'Trek-lite' shows is because of the shows' positive outlook and admirable characters. BSG does not have this - in fact, there's little to admire of any of the BSG characters. A great sci-fi show that 'goes as deep' as BSG while still maintaining an overall positive outlook and admirable characters was Firefly. (but not all sci-fi shows need to be Firefly, either)

But I agree that SGA could use a little more serious tone, here and there while still being a good adventure romp. I think if it can find the tone that SG1 set in its first 5 seasons, it'll be "more" than a filler show.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member

I found my discs and it turned out to be Learning Curve. Thanks for all the feedback. As I go back and look at some of the old episodes, I'm glad the show was able to continue on SciFi, but I can see a difference when it was on Showtime.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks