What's new

Star Trek: TMP dvd cover art (1 Viewer)

MattHR

Screenwriter
Paramount has once again altered the artwork for a dvd cover. This time it's "Star Trek: TMP". At first glance, it looks identical to the original art. Something about it was bugging me, so I compared it to my framed original one-sheet poster. The original PAINTINGS of the three characters' faces have been replaced with PHOTOGRAPHS of the actors. Even the image of the Enterprise has been altered. While seemingly not a major change, why did they bother? It reminds me of the "Star Wars: Ep. 1" dvd that Fox changed the painting of the characters to photos. Do the studios feel that consumers must see a PHOTO of the actors in order to recognize the product? It's such a shame to lose the original artwork. Most of the pre-1990's films had such beautiful artwork, so it's sad to see so many studios changing them for dvd.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The artist that did those poster illustrations is very good. I like his technique using chaulk. I have the same one sheet you refer to. I agree, it's a cool to see art from that era.
But my take on it is possibly a subtle way to add that extra little umph to the release. If the film has been given that new coat of varnish, why not the art for the cover.
Nelson

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
The original was painted by Bob Peak , one of the greatest illustrators of for movie posters.
The new DVD cover is based on Peaks design, but utilizes photos that he used as reference only. DVDFile had a whole article on the new poster design, but I can't find it.
Neil
------------------
"Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Keep in mind this isn't the original movie. It's a special edition, director's cut - given the changes that have been made, I think it's understandable to make some minor chages to the artwork.
However, I think the art work looks great and am looking forward to seeing this Tuesday.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
My understanding was that the poster art was updated to reflect the finishing touches that had been put on the film itself. Apparently, this is "what they wanted" for a poster all along. I'm sure I'm wrong, though.
------------------

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Neil-
Thanks for the link to Bob Peak's site. I've admired his work but I hadn't realized he does more then movie posters.
Too bad he's passed away.
Nelson

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks