What's new

Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 6 (Blu-ray) Available For Preorder (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yes, I believe you are right--and where would he get the material to do it anyway?--but I was just offering why the idea occurred to me, plus add to the fact that the earthquake is imminent, which further validated, at least in my own mind, the idea. And TPD has never stopped people in the ST universe before (at least not usually), so it really doesn't have an practical force with me, other than an ideal :)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Did any prime directive ever survive as anything other than an ideal?

From Kirk's rampant disregard of the prime directive, to Spock breaking General Order VII to go to Talos, to Picard not letting Wesley be executed, to Sisko dragging the Romulans into the war, to half of Janeway's interactions in the Delta Quadrant...

And they all screwed around in time just as much. Sisko even bounced a Tribble off of Kirk's head.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I suppose I am halfway through the season at this point.

Just finished Chain of Command, Ship in a Bottle and Aquiel.

Chain of Command was decent. Not sure how it rates with most
fans, but I enjoyed it. Ship in a Bottle, of course, is a great episode
for the return of Professor Moriarty. Aquiel was another throwaway
episode.

I am very happy that I finally took the time to really watch this show
in its entirety (or at least nearly thus far). I have gained so much
appreciation for Next Generation.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The Obsolete Man said:
Sisko even bounced a Tribble off of Kirk's head.
Not intentionally, though! It was a pure accident...it wasn't like Sisko looked down from the grain container, saw Kirk and threw the tribble down on him.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I should probably watch every episode, since it would be my first viewing of them in true HD, but to be honest, I just don't want to sit through episodes like Aquiel or Rascals. That's 90 minutes of my life, even in HD, that I will never get back. Perhaps someday I will make it through all the episodes, but right now I em really enjoying watching my favorites--and there's a lot of them.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Carabimero said:
I should probably watch every episode, since it would be my first viewing of them in true HD, but to be honest, I just don't want to sit through episodes like Aquiel or Rascals. That's 90 minutes of my life, even in HD, that I will never get back. Perhaps someday I will make it through all the episodes, but right now I em really enjoying watching my favorites--and there's a lot of them.
I've been going through all of them.

Season 1 was a chore, especially episodes like Justice and Fear of a Black Planet... er... Code of Honor.

Subsequent seasons weren't nearly as bad. By S6, there are very few episodes that are filler. Aquiel is definitely one of them.

/though I like Rascals. You just have to get over the technobabble explanation required to get us to "they're kids again". And using the transporter as the magical cure all again. And the scenes with Keiko and Chief Pedo'Brien (though thankfully he was saying "I can't be married to a 12-year-old. Sorry", as opposed to Captain Kirk turning on the charm for the 300-year-old 12-year-old Miri). And Alexander being Alexander. And the Ferengi being the heavies. Okay, so maybe it wasn't a great episode. But it was goofy fun.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The title of the episode doesn't help, either. But maybe I should give it a watch. It is in HD, after all.

If I recall correctly, there is only 1 episode of DS9 I can't stomach anymore: Profit and Lace

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i sat thru all of tng during the injtial syndication more than once. is that bad? lolz i used watch a ton of tv

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I love the show. And I love my favorite episodes. But as I get older, I've only got so many heartbeats left in me. I've got to be more discriminating. I'm not sure what a show like Rascals has to offer with repeated viewings, even in HD.

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jordan
Are any of you guys experiencing sound-sync issues in the first of the three documentaries ? 'Cause I am. Doesn't make it unwatchable, but it is jarring.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Each season of TNG (which is an excellent show) makes me hope more fervently that DS:9 and Voyager get the same treatment.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
ijthompson said:
Are any of you guys experiencing sound-sync issues in the first of the three documentaries ? 'Cause I am. Doesn't make it unwatchable, but it is jarring.
I did not experience any sound sync issues with the three documentaries, and that is the kind of stuff that usually jumps right out at me. Next time I watch them, I will specifically look for it.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Carabimero said:
On my HD rewatch, I'm going through every episode. And then going through them again with the bf (he's rewatching separate from me). Sure, there are some episodes I don't think fondly of (Shades of Gray), but there are things in every episode I enjoy/find watchable. I think you have to watch all of them in HD at least once...and then never again. :D :D

I like Rascals. It's goofy and silly and kinda dumb and not thought out all that well. But it makes use of the kids on the ship (even if it is the adults as kids) and tries really really hard to redeem the Ferengi...mostly.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I watched them all when the DVDs first came out, and remembered certain episodes I thought never to watch again. But based on the comments here, I will give Rascals another look.:)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I watched RASCALS. It's better than I remembered. My problem isn't with the kids as much as it is with the easy way the Ferengi took the Enterprise. I just never believed it. Shield strength is so wildly inconsistent. Sometimes one or two hits and the shields are all but depleted. It just made Riker look like a bumbler, waiting so long to return fire. The flagship of the federation taken by a few Ferengi without the Enterprise even putting up a good fight? The episode was too contrived. But forgetting all that, it has a some decent moments, and I can say I at least saw it in HD, as I probably should see every episode.

I'm glad I watched it, but doubt I shall watch it again any time soon.

Suspicion is another episode that could have been great but suffered from the lack of the TNG writers to ever really be able to do a decent "who done it." Was there really a great "who done it" the entire run of the series? I can't think of one.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I would call that a win, Alan! You didn't hate Rascals...and you gave it a chance! :D

Agreed on all counts and it's all about what the plot needs.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
One thing about the episode that I appreciated way more than when I last saw it twelve years ago was the tag. Ro Laren's line in that episode really popped for me more, at first being impatient with being a kid again and then by the end of the episode enjoying--and reluctant to end--a playful childhood she never had (with Guinan supplying support). Ro Laren's simple through line and the tag at the end touched me, I guess because I am facing my fiftieth birthday before long. In any event, the episode has moved off my "worst episodes" list for sure, thanks to those who posted encouragement about it in this thread. Art can be great in part because it doesn't change through the years. If we're lucky, it is we who change.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Now, when you get to Aquiel...I'm not sure how much any of us can say is good in that stinker.

The guest actress is nice to look at, I guess. And it's a fairly rare Geordi show.

Yep...I think that's everything.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Still plowing through this set.

Tapestry and Birthright are the latest watch.

Really liked Tapestry more than I liked Birthright.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Wish they'd done more with the Data arc in part two of Birthright. Data's story was pretty much dropped after part one when honestly I found his father story much more interesting than Worf's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks