What's new

Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 6 (Blu-ray) Available For Preorder (1 Viewer)

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
There's no doubt that Bob Justman's involvement was crucial to the first season of TNG. He was the one calling for a Klingon on the bridge, and he was the one pushing for Patrick Stewart. And those are just the big things that we know about. Justman's attention to detail throughout his career tells me that there were a thousand things he watched over on that show, for the time that he was there.

David Gerrold's contribution to TNG was frankly that Roddenberry cribbed some of the best ideas from "The World of Star Trek" and had Gerrold throw them into the series bible. Some of the scenes in the pilot are clearly Gerrold ideas - particularly the dialogue between Picard and Riker about whether the captain can beam down. I would have liked to have seen the episodes that Gerrold could have written himself, and I wish that Roddenberry hadn't blocked Gerrold's "Blood and Fire" as he did. I frankly think Gerrold was badly treated by Roddenberry, as was Fontana. I wish that hadn't happened. The result was that we lost both Gerrold and Fontana from the series very early on, and things wound up in the legal arena. (Gerrold had a solid legal point that much of the foundation of TNG was from his concepts, granted that this was within the overall world that the original series had created.)

The other thing is that the first season of TNG was the only one where Roddenberry was really that heavily involved, as was his attorney. Following that, he stepped back and acted more as a consultant during the final years of his life. From what I've seen, his input was helpful up through the 3rd season, after which he was almost completely disengaged. (There's a great story from the 3rd season about "Deja Q" that the writer had originally planned it that Q was faking his mortality. Roddenberry famously and correctly challenged the writers, saying that this would be a false narrative - if you want to tell the story about the god who fell to Earth, tell that story and see where it takes you. The result was a really interesting (and funny) episode, and a good piece of Star Trek writing.)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Going back to the season 7 discussion for a moment, IMO, they had brief runs of very good episodes surrounded by the results of their running on fumes and working on Generations.

From what I can recall enjoying (thanks to wiki episode descriptions), you had Phantasms and Dark Page back to back, then a lull, then the Inheritance/Parallels/Pegasus stretch, then Lower Decks and Thine Own Self.

Genesis is a love it or hate it episode. I liked it. And All Good Things... one of the best episodes of the series.

But mixed between the good runs were some episodes that failed. Masks, for example. And Force of Nature, because we needed a warp 5 speed limit. Sub Rosa gave us Doctor Crusher and her magic masturbatory candle. Journey's End gave us Native Americans... IN SPAAAAAAACCCCCEEEEEEE, and Wesley Crusher gains magical powers. And Gambit... well, it was there. but a two parter?

Season 7 was a very mixed bag. Trek was stretched very thin at that point, between TNG S7, DS9 S2, creating Voyager, and writing Generations. It showed.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Thanks Kevin, Obsolete, and others for the interesting discussion of TNG.

I agree with Kevin that even though the first season had a lot of rough spots, and a lot of duds, that there really are some good gems in there. I agree with all of the episodes he highlights from S1 positively with only one exception—the dreadful (to me, anyway) Skin of Evil.

For me, the good enough to very good eps from S1 include: The Last Outpost, Where No One Has Gone Before, The Battle, The Big Goodbye, Datalore, 11001001, Home Soil, Coming of Age, Heart of Glory, The Arsenal of Freedom (probably my favorite), and Conspiracy.

I also liked Kevin's comments about DS9 and production values. That's one thing that Star Trek usually had for a TV show—good production values. In fact, to me a good trek episode is like a good little "B" sci fi flick with an extra good script. And with characters you already know, of course.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Not much of a story, really, but maybe something is better than "it's very cold (and quiet) in space"?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/20/star-trek-reboot-netflix_n_5516042.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment&ir=Entertainment

A New 'Star Trek' Series Might Be In The Works At Netflix
The Huffington Post | By Jessica Toomer
Is the Enterprise crew beaming over to Netflix?
According to recent Internet rumors, your favorite intergalactic series might be getting a reboot courtesy of the world's biggest video on demand streaming company. Netflix is reportedly more than interested in remaking "Star Trek," the popular TV series that follows the interstellar adventures of the USS Enterprise et al. But don't get your hopes up too soon, Trekkies.
Apparently, while Netflix has put out some feelers to CBS -- the company that, along with Viacom, owns rights to the franchise -- as of yet, nothing solid has been confirmed. It's not a surprise the streaming service is interested in the show that's become a staple in geek culture; currently, five seasons of "Star Trek" are available on Netflix.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Apparently this has been somewhat debunked....

http://larrynemecek.blogspot.ca/2014/06/hold-your-horsestheres-no-netflix-cbs.html

"....As we know by now, Netflix has changed the TV/media landscape yet again by becoming a platform of clout with original shows like House of Cards and Orange Is the New Black—popular not only with fans, but critics...and now the award shows. It's in Netflix's interest to be casting about for new shows—including those from known franchises. I understand Star Trek is one of them—especially as Trek's 737 hours of "reruns" performs as a top draw ON Netflix. As I understand it, there have been overtures. But none taken. So far.

That's it, guys. I appreciate the pedestal, of sorts, but this excitable blogger makes it sound as if show budgets and writer's guides for a done-deal Trek series are already floating around in CBS offices. Maybe they are—but not to my knowledge. We all know plenty of people in private and public have pitched show concepts and formats—and on a "channel" that makes financial and distributional sense. And, we do know that one good way to help get Star Trek back is to keep those Netflix viewer "ratings" tickers clicking right along marathon-style, as a barometer, to reveal any and all Trek shows being watched. But inertia and the unanswered questions of who, what, when, where, and how much have, so far, won out. Sadly....."

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I think the whole Netflix idea was debunked a couple of weeks ago, but I could be wrong.
I know people were thinking that Netflix could bring back Enterprise for a Season 5, based on comments they were hearing from one of the get-togethers on the Enterprise Blu-rays, but that's not possible at this point. Too much time has passed, and the principals have moved on to other things. Brannon Braga is producing and writing "Salem" and Scott Bakula has a new series with "NCIS NOLA".

I do think that we will see a new Star Trek series one day, but I have no idea what they will do with it, or who would try to pull it off.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Glad to hear season six is being so well received on blu-ray. It has a good number of excellent episodes, although I think seasons 3 and 4 were TNG's best. Season 7 is really a mixed bag. I enjoyed Gambit as a tribute to those 70s sci-fi shows like Buck Rogers. Attached, Inheritance, Parallels (which Brannon Braga made a career of re-writing), and Lower Decks were highlights, as well as AGT, which is the best of the season.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
As we head down the home stretch for Star Trek: The Next Generation on blu-ray, I decided to make a list of my top episodes of the whole 7 year run in a ranked list. I might have more episodes from S6 than from any other year, but I haven't counted it up. My son actually wrote a computer program that helped me ranked these.

1. All Good Things...
2. Chain of Command
3. Darmok
4. Measure of a Man
5. The Inner Light
6. The Offspring
7. Unification
8. Yesterday's Enterprise
9. Best of Both Worlds
10. Frame of Mind
11. The Defector
12. Time's Arrow
13. Preemptive Strike
14. Face of the Enemy
15. Redemption
16. Cause and Effect
17. The Arsenal of Freedom
18. Parallels
19. Time Squared
20. Coming of Age
21. Remember Me
22. Sins of the Father
23. Conspiracy
24. Family
25. A Matter of Honor
26. Reunion
27. Timescape
28. Disaster
29. I, Borg
30. Ensign Ro
31. Night Terrors
32. The Next Phase
33. Second Chances
34. The Game
35. A Fistful of Datas
36. The Battle
37. Ship in a Bottle
38. Conundrum
39. Evolution
40. Relics

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I wish Netflix would pick up and fund STAR TREK CONTINUES, a fan-based series produced by industry professionals. They have three episodes out so far, continuing the original 5 year mission and, in my opinion, it's very, very good Star Trek. If someone asked me if I'd rather watch Enterprise or ST Continues (the fan show), there would be no hesitation. The fan based show is really that good.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I just watched several minutes of Star Trek Continues. I wish I hadn't. I don't know what to say about all these fan movies. They're exquisitely painful to see.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
ST Continues is produced by industry professionals. I called it a fan show only because the people who produce it are fans. But it's shot on a sound stage with sets as good if not better than the originals. The scripts are by and large better than scripts for ENTERPRISE (way better, in my opinion). I think the script for the first episode actually won a respected SF nomination (maybe it won the award, never heard). It's one thing if you can't get over other actors playing Kirk and Spock. But I respectfully disagree that ST Continues is painful. In my opinion it doesn't deserved to be clumped with other fan shows, which I agree are painful.

BTW, the kickstarter for that show continues to generate thousands upon thousands of dollars. I'm not the only fan who likes it.

Here's a link. My favorite episode so far was called LOLANI, about an Orion slave girl. If I'm not mistaken, I think it has Lou Ferrigno in it (of Incredible Hulk fame).

http://www.startrekcontinues.com/episodes/#.U6YuR7EUiSo

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry, but I see no indication that Star Trek Continues is in any way a professional production. Looking at the IMDB page, I see a smattering of professional people, like Doug Drexler. I see Larry Nemecek and James Doohan's son putting themselves into the show. I see several of the named producers also acting in the show and filling in other tasks, indicating an amateur production. I see some professional actors on the list of people who have appeared on the show, but the same situation happened with the awful New Voyages stuff. I see it described as a fan-created production that got some funding via Kickstarter - to the tune of 126K, which is an incredibly low number and means that nobody on this show is being paid. The show's own website describes the people making the show as "entertainment professionals" which is not the same thing as "industry professionals". The award they received was an "Audience Award" from the just-started Lost Episode Festival in Toronto in 2013. I am not aware of this festival being considered that significant, and I am not aware of any other awards being won by this series.

Again, I'm sorry to differ here, but this is something I do for a living. The scenes I saw here were truly unfortunate, in my opinion.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I do agree with your distinction between entertainment professionals and industry professionals (poorly chosen words on my part), but disagree that this show deserves to be dumped with other horrid fan shows. I think I am safe in saying, as someone who has watched all the episodes, it's the only fan ST show I've enjoyed, and I'll leave it at that.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Price Drop!

Amazon selling for $57.99 - Ignore what widget price below may say. Just click on it.

</p> <div>

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
This is the price drop I have been waiting for as well. Thanks for the heads up.

I wonder: do some folks really buy it when it's priced for $114?

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Nice to see Amazon matching BestBuy's price. I wonder how much heat they took when they didn't do it for Enterprise season 4. I ordered from BestBuy last night before the price reduction. At this point I'm going to keep it with BestBuy and reward them since they seem to be the driver when it comes to Star trek season blu-ray releases.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Got it from amzn.

Carabimero: I've started watching the sequel to Mirror, Mirror. Interesting stuff. I've imagined sequels in my mind that were kind of like this....++

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
benbess, yes, me too. Once I got over different actors playing the roles, and accepted the show for what it is, there is a lot to enjoy about it. I especially admire the passion these amateurs bring to the job. I've worked with more than one jaded industry professional who could use a refresher course in amateur passion. I respect it.

I think the Mirror episode was my least favorite, but I enjoyed it. I particularly enjoyed seeing the original shuttlecraft Galileo, restored in all its glory. When you consider the show's funds stem basically from individual fans making small-dollar donations, $126,000 demonstrates incredible support for this show (far above other fan ST kickstarters I looked at). I hope the series continues for many episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks