What's new

Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 6 (Blu-ray) Available For Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Tapestry is my favourite TNG episode of all time
It is not only a great Q episode, but one that really hones in
on the meaning of taking chances and standing out in the world.

Also agree it was odd that the Data arc just disappeared in the
second half of the episode.

I am going to have to pause where I am in the season right now
as I have other titles to review. With no Season 7 on the horizon
(yet), I am not in a huge rush to get this set finished. I will report
back as soon as I resume watching.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Ronald Epstein said:
Also agree it was odd that the Data arc just disappeared in the
second half of the episode.
I don't believe I ever read a definitive answer for this, but my best guess was always twofold:

(1) They wanted to do some kind of crossover with DS9 to promote that show a bit more.
(2) The Worf storyline wasn't "beefy" enough to span two episodes, so they threw in the Data B plot to pad the 2 parter running time.

Frankly, I've never liked Birthright. It's always left me cold with a big "meh" at the end. I'll be giving it another try with an open mind, though, when I get to it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'm four episodes into the set, which has some of my favorite episodes. The first three aren't anything special, IMO, and Realm of Fear isn't very good at all. The story doesn't stand up to any scrutiny. Relics, on the other hand, was always one of the show's best. I remember back in '92 what a big deal it was to see the original Enterprise's bridge. Now, there are two or three fan productions that have recreated the bridge in minute detail. Good episodes or not, the show has never looked better. It's a joy just to watch and see it so well preserved. They simply have to do this to DS9 (and Voyager, I guess, although I am not much of a fan of the latter).

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The set really does look gorgeous. It's easy to forget what a huge inter-departmental resource sink doing a single episode is, much less the entire run. I hope DS9 is around the corner, but something tells me, if I want to watch DS9 after finishing the TNG HD run, I should watch the DVDs. I just might have a long wait otherwise.

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jordan
Carabimero said:
I watched RASCALS. It's better than I remembered.
I'm probably totally alone on this, but I always get a little misty at the end of 'Rascals' - when Ro opts not to get in the transporter immediately and chooses instead to do some colorin', and just remain a kid for a little while longer. *sniff!*

But I'm a sucker for the emotional episodes. I'd say my top five are (in no particular order, except for the first):

[*]Tapestry
[*]The Offspring
[*]The Perfect Mate
[*]Family
[*](agh, I can't think of a fifth right now...)
[/list]

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
ijthompson said:
I'm probably totally alone on this, but I always get a little misty at the end of 'Rascals' - when Ro opts not to get in the transporter immediately and chooses instead to do some colorin', and just remain a kid for a little while longer. *sniff!*

But I'm a sucker for the emotional episodes. I'd say my top five are (in no particular order, except for the first):

[*]Tapestry
[*]The Offspring
[*]The Perfect Mate
[*]Family
[*](agh, I can't think of a fifth right now...)
[/list]
I would put "The Inner Light" at the top of that list. I love that episode. "Family" would be second.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I really liked Rascals. It was clever.

Just finished Starship Mine, which sort of reminded
me of a "Die Hard" premise: One man alone in a
structure having to outsmart the villains who have
taken over.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Ronald Epstein said:
I really liked Rascals. It was clever.

Just finished Starship Mine, which sort of reminded
me of a "Die Hard" premise: One man alone in a
structure having to outsmart the villains who have
taken over.
It's one of the handful of episodes Tim Russ was in prior to being cast on Voyager. Very fun and exciting episode.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just finished Frame of Mind.

Excellent episode. Had me guessing what the
heck was going on right up until the end.

Just about near the end of Season 6. Will be
ready for the last season once it's announced
and released.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
Just finished Frame of Mind.

Excellent episode. Had me guessing what the
heck was going on right up until the end.

Just about near the end of Season 6. Will be
ready for the last season once it's announced
and released.
Y'know, Riker got mindf**ked a lot in season 6.

Schisms, Frame of Mind, and the upcoming (for you) Second Chances.

Of course, season 7 didn't do him any favors either, with the Pegasus, and him aging a decade during certain parts of that mission, especially when he hit the holodeck.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The Obsolete Man said:
Of course, season 7 didn't do him any favors either, with the Pegasus, and him aging a decade during certain parts of that mission, especially when he hit the holodeck.
Was there a character outside of Picard who had a good S7? The main seven were all written rather poorly in the last year and given meh stuff to do for the most part.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
do these sets include the non updated fx versions as well like the TOS blurays or do yoh ONLY get the updated fx?

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Updated/remastered FX only. But unlike the TOS BDs, you honestly don't really care that much about keeping the "original" versions of the episodes around after watching these.

These new remasters pretty much render the "old" episodes superfluous, and I say this as someone who taped the show right from its opening-night premiere back in September, 1987.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
You may care for posterity, but that's pretty much it. I'm one of those completist type people and I'm okay with just the remastered stuff. I don't know how many times I'd ever go back to the original after seeing these. The TOS ones are more...rudimentary...in the CG and rendering.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
a bit off topic but i personally preferred the non updated fx on tos the new cg was terrible. its like lets give it the minimal effort. why bother?hopefully ng fares better when i get aroundto it

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
JediFonger said:
a bit off topic but i personally preferred the non updated fx on tos the new cg was terrible. its like lets give it the minimal effort. why bother?hopefully ng fares better when i get aroundto it
Hmmm...I thought the new FX in TOS were for the most part excellent, and really provided an opportunity to watch it all over again in a new light. That said, since they released it with both the original and new FX's everyone can be happy.

TNG is an entirely different thing all together. While with TOS they created entirely new FX's with a different feel, with TNG they just tried to redo the exact same FX but with more detail in a higher resolution, so the intent stayed the same. That is why the replies are stating there is really no reason to maintain the original versions for TNG.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Considering the TOS remaster was being done at a slightly earlier technology time AND the episodes had to get out the door for broadcast purposes, I have no problems with them. They are, for the most part, very very good. I wasn't disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks