What's new

Star Trek in HD - with revised special effects? (1 Viewer)

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
The schedule for Portland, Oregon: Looks like KPDX is showing "Balance of Terror" at 10:00 pm on Saturday 9/16, and "Miri" at 10:00 pm on Sunday 9/17. That's channel 13 if you've got ComCast. :)

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit
If it was 4:3 in a 16:9 window, wouldn't they just say it was 4:3?

I wonder if they'll do any kind of "smart stretching" with the 4:3 source to fill the whole 16:9 screen without doing any cropping, while minimizing distortion? Because I don't know how they could crop some scenes at all.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Saw the link to the video-behind-the scenes story on the Trekmovie.com site. Looks like they are really taking great care to recreate, not redo, everything exactly as it was done, shot for shot. And the re-recorded music was recreated note for note with the same arrangements. It's just better recorded.

Even with the tiny Windows Media Player showing the video on my Mac, the video remastering of the scenes shown looked terrific. There was a lot of colored gels used to light the sets and the background shot of the wedding scene you clearing see more colors back there! It's amazing that how good the recent remastered SD DVD's look now, these new remastered episodes look even better!

On the aspect ratio question, I don't know if this is true, but somewhere someone speculated that there is more to the 35mm frame that can be seen with overscan. So much so, that on a 16:9 screen, you'll see the screen almost filled, with just a hint of black bars on either side. I find that hard to believe. Would you believe 2 thick black bars.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Yeah... that behind-the-scenes video impressed me. It DOES appear that they are being respectful to the original.

That's all I ask...

Oh... I also noticed on the TrekMovie site that the folks over at G4 spoke with Eugene Roddenberry Jr. about all of this. He thinks his father would have been happy to bring Trek into the future. Guess that kills that debate... :)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Ok, NOW I'm confused. The Billy Joel looking guy in the clip on StarTrek.com just said, "we're going to give you shots of the enterprise, different angles of the enterprise then you've seen before simply because they couldn't do the type of camera moves that we can today..."

Isn't this completely the opposite of, "we are maintaining the look of the old FX shots..."

parodox, much?

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
So is that going to be 2 enhanced episodes per weekend? Originally I had heard just the ones on Saturdays.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm only getting one episode, I understand some channels showed two eps of Enterprise on the weekends but our affiliate only ever showed one so they are maintaining that. I can't believe they cannot find a better meeting time than 5AM Sunday morning. But all their choice Afternoon time are infomercials

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I will be passing on any HD release of Trek. I've spent way too much time and money collecting the entire library to go back and repurchase the entire thing all over again. I'll stick with my regular DVD sets. Once I get the Animated Series, I'm done with Trek until something new comes out (either a new movie or new TV series).

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
Looking at the locals in my area, it appears that stations within a few hours of where I live will be showing "Balance Of Terror" at the following times:
2:05 a.m., 3 a.m. 5:10 a.m., 12 a.m., 4 a.m.

I guess this whole new generation of fans ready to embrace Trek all watch tv between midnight and 6 a.m.?

Bryan Krantz

Stunt Coordinator
As opposed to nect generation which used the theme from the str trek movies? At least they were "stealing" the song from a star trek movie?

andySu

Senior HTF Member

Good God I hope not I’ve had enough of (George Lucas) milking us for ever penny now (Paramount Pictures) is having a go at us with (Star Trek) why don’t they just make 70mm projectors more affordable and strike a load of 70mm six-track Dolby stereo prints for us, and stop taking us for fools!

John H Ross

Screenwriter

Well at least Goldsmith's theme was already part of Star Trek history, like Alexander Courage's original TV theme. And it was a damn sight more memorable than the theme Dennis McCarthy originally wrote for TNG!

John

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB

Seriously, Andy, you've gotta STOP cluttering up these threads with your obsession over 70mm prints with 6-track Dolby soundtracks. We're talking about a TELEVISION series, not theatrical films.

Blake Siefken

Stunt Coordinator
I can't believe this question hasn't been asked yet, but WHAT ABOUT THE END CREDITS? Will they still have the stills from other episodes? If they do, will they be of what the CGI fixes in those episodes will look like? Will they bring Nichelle Nichols, James Doohan, George Takei, and Walter Koeing's credits from the end to the opening?

I consider myself a purist, but I can't deny that I'll be watching these new versions just to see what they'll do.

Bryan Krantz

Stunt Coordinator
Found this on Sci-Fi.com (http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...d=37800&type=0) but to highlight what caught my eye...

"CBS Paramount Domestic Television will release the digitally remastered episodes for air on more than 200 broadcast stations, starting Sept. 16. The first episodes to be remastered include "Balance of Terror," "Journey to Babel," "Mirror Mirror" and the two-part episode "The Menagerie," said John Nogawski, president of CBS Paramount Domestic TV. All told, about half of the original series' 80 remastered episodes will be released this year and half next year.

Eventually, Nogawski said, all of the episodes will be remastered in both their original versions and the abbreviated versions made available for syndication and in both full-screen and high-definition widescreen versions."

What exactly is meant by "abbreviated" if these are just tweaks and not re-editing?

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
"Abbreviated" just means edited for TV airings - shortening the episodes to around 43 minutes to allow for more commercials than were aired in 1966-1969 originally.

Harry

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
I have VERY, VERY serious doubts that they will dramatically change the opening credits. No James Doohan, Nichelle Nichols, George Takei or Walter Koenig in the opening credits. I'm pretty sure they're just going to redo the opening credits with the CGI Enterprise and the rerecorded theme. But nothing actually changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks