What's new

Star Trek in HD - with revised special effects? (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Can you imagine if they redo the Animated series using the original voice overs? Using animation similar to Shrek, Toy Story, etc.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'd like them do a new animated series based on TOS or TNG now that would be sweeet

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just came back from Seattle for the Star Trek 40th Gala Celebration. I only attended Friday and Saturday.

Saturday morning, I got into the main room late and caught the later portion of an extended video of the one seen on Star Trek.com. This video shows what they are doing for the Enhanced Star Trek. The part that we haven't seen are actual clips from the show and more coverage of the effects work and title track music redo. What I saw was a new CGI shot of the Enterprise fly-by, a quick glimpse of the Romulan Bird of Prey and the Enterprise firing photon torpedos. (The slight error on Balance of Terror where Kirk orders phasers point blank at the Romulan ship, but they show photon torpedos is retained if the clips shown are from Balance of Terror).

I wished I knew they were showing this and seen the whole thing. From what I saw, it looked like what they said they'd do. Essentially replace the original effects shots with new shots in CGI, shot for shot, same angles and POV.

The emcee said we can see these in one week as you all know. I am excited to see these remastered shows. I can see they genuinely cared and I understand their reasons for doing it. While it sounded like they were potentially doing a George Lucas, it's not the case. We will see Star Trek's original live action film elements looking sharper, cleaner and more colorful then ever and complimented with the new enhanced effects. And the original Star Trek with original effects are also remastered and my understanding is in HD.

Still no news if we will see it on any home video optical disc format. But I'm sure they will let us have them.

And a personal comment; I really don't believe this effort was done solely for the motivation of generating more income with a known money making property by Paramount. Of course they know they have a large built-in fan base. But I think they recognize that Star Trek is a part of Americana and that they wanted to celebrate the series on it's 40th birthday. This is one way to preserve the series in the highest quality possible and to make it stand up to the high definition equipment we have or will have.

And the convention was fun too. It was quite relaxed and the venue was very cool. It was at the Science Fiction Museum in Seattle under the Space Needle. I even walked past George Takei, Walter Keonig, Gary Lockwood, Allan Ruck and Tim Russ strolling by in the convention and saw pretty up close Nichelle Nichols, Grace Lee Whitney, George Takei, Gary Graham, Garrett Wang and Rod Roddenberry at the top of the Space Needle.

Paul Allen really did a great thing with this museum and if you are a fan of Sci-fi, this museum has exhibits with many actual props and miniatures used in many of our favorite films. Most are the real thing, some are reproductions. The real Captains chair and some panels from Star Trek TOS are there. But artifacts from many films can be seen, Darth Vaders helmet, the Spindrift, phasers, Planet of the Apes, Alien and Aliens, etc. I guess being a millionare many times over helps to aquire all these items!

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
No worries, Tino! Hard to keep track with 2 threads! At this point since it's NOT in HD and there is no new DVD or HD of BD release announced, these threads should DEFINITELY be consolidated into 1...

:)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Thanks Nelson.

Now that there is something substantiative to base opinions on, this sounds very promising.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Lou!

Here's a link I just posted on the other thread. This link takes you to the Trekmovie site where they have a link to some youtube videos of the CBS Paramount promos I saw over the weekend at the Star Trek Conference in Seattle. Click on the top video and you'll see the actual effects footage towards the end of the video.

http://trekmovie.com/2006/09/10/trai...-the-airwaves/

Amazing 40 years later and we are seeing new Star Trek still!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am hoping that we will get to check out Star Trek in HD but it sounds like it will be in SD. Is there anyone here that lives in Phoenix heard if Star Trek will or will not be in HD on CBS-HD?

Blake Siefken

Stunt Coordinator
I can breathe a sigh of relief, it looks like I'll be able to see it in Canada (through an American station out of Bellingham, WA). It's on CW-11, that's the new UPN or something, right? I would hate to miss these.

PS. I'm still mad at those UPN motherfuckers for cancelling my Enterprise!

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit

This clip solves the aspect ratio question IMO. During the shot where they're recording the theme, you can see the show 4:3 pillarboxed on a 16x9 screen.

honestjohn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce

Nelson, regarding that Balance of Terror Episode, I was reading the Remastering Q&A over at StarTrek.com and they mentioned exactly what you were referring to and explained it like this ......

Q: In "Balance of Terror," Kirk orders the ship to fire phasers, but we see photon torpedoes. Are you going to fix this?

A: You know, this is the first thing that we wanted to do when we started working on this episode. But then we started studying the episode more closely and discovered a number of things. First, Kirk orders "proximity phasers" to be used. This is the only time in the entire series where he does so. Second, the phasers behave differently than normal. They fire into space, then explode like depth charges. This is clearly the intention of the writer and director [Paul Schneider and Vincent McEveety respectively], since the episode is based on submarine movie metaphors.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Honestly, I think "torpedoes" would have been specified, if they had been thought of so early in the series. I don't seem to recall them being in the first edition of the "writers' bible", which is reprinted in the old book The Making of STAR TREK. That was clearly what the plot called for, so they made up a substitute, and only later did somebody go back and add actual torpedoes to the armament, using the same effect shot.
In other words, you'd have to change the dialogue, not only in Kirk's order but everything in the episode, to make the sub-plot action occur in the Torpedo Room rather than the Phaser Room.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
In the NYC area these updated Star Trek TOS are to be shown at 3:30 AM
Sunday/Early Monday morning on WNBC TV . That is assuming football doesn't run long. Seems odd that something that is generating so much interest is running in the middle of the night. This week it actually is showing to be running in a 55 minute time period. I guess it will be joined in progress.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Football running long has absolutely nothing to do with shows that air at
3:35 a.m. They will make up the time before it gets to 3:35. It is odd that they supposedly want to introduce the original Star Trek series to a new generation, since I would assume the majority of that generation would be in bed at 3:35 a.m. on a Sunday night before school the next morning. I hope all of the new generation have DVRs.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Ooof, I'm not sure I dig that idea. While the Filmation animation isnt state of the art, it's way better than the psudo-human look that Toy Story and their kin have. Unless you spend the HUGE bucks to make it realistic like the Final Fantasy movie, I dont think it would look nearly as good as the "cheap" filmation work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks