What's new

Star Trek films on Blu-Ray... what we know so far (1 Viewer)

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
3 hour long interview sections, a 90 minute documentary, 3 new commentaries plus a "loose clips section. That's over 7 hours with no indication of how long the loose clips section is. From Trekmovie.com.........

UPDATE:

At this weekend’s Mission New York convention there was a Roddenberry Vault panel. During it, they confirmed that the episodes included on the discs are from the high quality HD film scans done in 2006 for the remastering project, but with the original VFX only, it wouldn’t fit with the spirit of the Vault project to include the CGI VFX versions. They also spoke about how much new content was on the discs. Each disc will have about an hour of interviews with clips, plus a catch all ‘loose clips’ feature. Plus there’s the new 90-min documentary made for this set (broken into three parts across the discs).

And since when have commentaries NOT been counted as bonus material?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Commentaries are always counted as bonus material. However they are not usually included in the running time amount of extras.

So that's about 5 hours or so.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
3 hour long interview sections, a 90 minute documentary, 3 new commentaries plus a "loose clips section. That's over 7 hours with no indication of how long the loose clips section is. From Trekmovie.com.........

UPDATE:

At this weekend’s Mission New York convention there was a Roddenberry Vault panel. During it, they confirmed that the episodes included on the discs are from the high quality HD film scans done in 2006 for the remastering project, but with the original VFX only, it wouldn’t fit with the spirit of the Vault project to include the CGI VFX versions. They also spoke about how much new content was on the discs. Each disc will have about an hour of interviews with clips, plus a catch all ‘loose clips’ feature. Plus there’s the new 90-min documentary made for this set (broken into three parts across the discs).

And since when have commentaries NOT been counted as bonus material?

I think the article misunderstands what was said at the panel - I was there. Each disc will have a half hour documentary, as well as one third of the 90 minute documentary - or a total of one hour of documentary footage per disc. Since there are three discs, that means three hours of documentaries. The "loose clips" collection is one of those half hour documentaries.

-"Inside The Roddenberry Vault" is the main documentary - it's split into three parts running a combined total of 90 minutes.

-"Revising A Classic" is half an hour and primarily focused on the start of the original series.

-"Strange New Worlds" is half an hour and is primarily focused on special effects. It will include outtake effects shots in addition to interviews and show clips.

-"Swept Up" is a half hour and includes bits and pieces of deleted material that didn't fit in the documentaries.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Aha. Well, when the BBFC posts the exact times we'll know to the minute.
In an earlier article Trekmovie said 10 hours. So 10 vs. 5 seems a prety big error.

And every detailed announcement counts running time of commentaries a part of whatever time they state as the length of bonus material.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Aha. Well, when the BBFC posts the exact times we'll know to the minute.
In an earlier article Trekmovie said 10 hours. So 10 vs. 5 seems a prety big error.

And every detailed announcement counts running time of commentaries a part of whatever time they state as the length of bonus material.
Sorry Camper, I don't think that's true. Unless you're specifically referring to this Star Trek set.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Camper, I don't think that's true. Unless you're specifically referring to this Star Trek set.
Yeah, I'm sure there's examples of it both ways but generally speaking, when I see something talking about the amount of special features on a disc, they don't include the commentary in the total. The only reason that that's something I notice is because it seems weird to me to not count the commentary because it a) gives them a bigger number to tout and b) it's a special feature.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I would totally love there to be more bonus than what's included. But I was in the room when Rod Roddenberry and others were describing exactly what was on the set, and the number they repeated over and over was three hours of new documentaries - an hour of documentary material on each of the three discs. I'd love it to be longer, and if it turns out that they misspoke or I somehow misunderstood what they were saying, I'll be the first guy saying I was wrong and happy to be so. But I just don't want anyone to be under the impression that there's going to be a five or ten hour documentary on there and make their purchase based on that notion which I believe to be incorrect.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Well, thats a shame. We have them saying that there will be 10 hours of bonues material and now it turns out only 3.
The breakdown shows 2 documentaries per disc. So now it turns out they are all about 30 minutes each. That's 3 hours.
I suppose you are right about commentaries not being counted as running time against the total count.
It's funny, if you put the director in a chair and film him talking about the movie -- it counts as part of the time of the extras. But if he sits in that same chair and does a commentary it does NOT count as part of the run time. I guess seeing the chair is all the difference!
I was certain in the past I had read blurbs such as "8 hours of bonus features!" and thinking, "that doesn't add up."
Then I realized they were counting two commentaries as 4 of the hours.
Either that practice has been stopped or i am remembering wrong.
If all it turns out to be is 3 hours of docs -- then they really sould have added that to the 50th Box Set and be done with it.
But there is always some dupe like me who will rebuy what turns out to be a pretty much unneeded release.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Me too!

To be fair, the three hours of documentaries seem to add up to being something substantial and special. And it was probably unrealistic to hope CBS would just put it out as a solo disc at a lower price point. Seeing their presentation at the convention convinced me to buy this. The MSRP is $80. If I can get it for half that, I'm in. $40 is still a lot to pay for just a bonus feature, but I've done stupider things in my life.

If they had gotten their act together in time to include this content in the 50th anniversary megaset, I would have probably splurged on that set. But knowing I was getting this set, I couldn't justify rebuying the same transfers of the same episodes yet again, much less in the same year. And yet, an interview with special features producer Roger Lay (linked by someone else earlier in the thread) has Lay suggesting that if we ever want to get directors cuts of I and VI on Blu, or DS9 on Blu, we have to show support by purchasing both of these sets. That's a bridge too far in my opinion.

Random thought but here goes: it's a shame that BD-Live never took off. When Blu-ray was coming out, the powers that be spoke about BD-Live as something that could allow the studio to constantly update your releases, so if new bonus features were ever made, people in theory could use their existing discs to stream the new material. So a Blu-ray would be more than just the disc, it would be like a key to an ever-evolving library of content. And obviously that never happened. But this would have been a perfect use for that.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Well I got the big set for $125.
Besides thr Vault and upgrades of Treks 1 and 6, I'm done -- so if I pay $45-50 for the Vault, so be it.
I assume that DS9 and Voyager will never get an HD release.
If the new series is well done I guess I might by that.
So the Vault, maybe $15-20 releases of 1 and 6 if they bother to restore them -- and the very occasional release of brand new material. For all intents my Trek buying is over this year.
I don't buy any other Trek material -- books, collectibles, etc. or go to conventions anymore.
During my 45+ years of fandom I probably spent enough on Trek for a beach house in Malibu. LOL.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Hey Guys! Long time, no chat! A few of you long timers may remember me as a guy that did a bunch of Star Trek custom covers with spanning spines! Anyway, I work at a TV station in Albany and we recently headed up to Ticonderoga where they used to make the Star Trek New Voyages fan films. Now they are officially licensed thru CBS to give tours of all their Enterprise sets. Anyway, if you're interested, here's a link to the story we put together...

Here's how it was on the news with the anchor intros from my station's website

And here's a better quality version but without the news anchors.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Ric, good to see you back! Thanks for posting that story. That's great to see the tour of James Cawley's recreated sets. Great work! You ought to post them in the Scott Atwell Star Trek thread too.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Caught a screening of TMP the other night with Douglas Trumbull in attendance for a Q&A. It was a 35mm print that appeared to have been Frankensteined from a dozen other prints. Brightness and colour would vary not only reel-to-reel, but sometmes from shot-to-shot, and the sound was scratchy optical stereo. Surprisingly, it was essentially the television edit - including pretty much all of the deleted scenes from the DVD and blu-ray, with the exception of Kirk's spacewalk exit.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Caught a screening of TMP the other night with Douglas Trumbull in attendance for a Q&A. It was a 35mm print that appeared to have been Frankensteined from a dozen other prints. Brightness and colour would vary not only reel-to-reel, but sometmes from shot-to-shot, and the sound was scratchy optical stereo. Surprisingly, it was essentially the television edit - including pretty much all of the deleted scenes from the DVD and blu-ray, with the exception of Kirk's spacewalk exit.

Awesome. I'd love to see the older ones on a big screen again.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Where was this?

Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks